Pelini on a Mission

This article reaffirms what many have said on this board for a long time - the coaches know what's wrong and they're trying to fix it. What separates Nebraska from more elite programs, on this step in the journey, is correcting those issues and performing on the field at an adequate level. I wouldn't call these words 'refreshing', because I've felt for a long time that the coaches know what we do and more. They simply coincide with my mind set. But, again, knowing something and fixing it are two different things. There are many elite programs that face the same challenges we do (tough conferences, social media, rabid fan bases, etc.), and those coaches have found ways to work around it. We can credit our issues to a number of the reasons listed above, and I have faith that Pelini is going to do his absolute best to figure it out.

As fans, all we can do is hope things come to fruition; nobody wants to win more than these coaches and these players.

I think people under estimate the high level of social media and/or media highs and lows Nebraska Football deals with. Its intense because we follow the team so close I travel around the country and come across fans of all types of teams college and pro. I would guess that the average fan for most teams can name 6-8 players on the roster. I would also guess that he average Husker fan can name 6-8 lineman on the two deep, the top 3 RBs, qbs and at least 2 of the DBS. We follow theses kids close so we feel like its our right to attack them if we don't win every game by 7 TDs or if we have a let down.

He can talk the talk but can he walk the walk? so far no he can't.

i disagree, bo is still early in his head coaching career and has done a pretty decent job in turning the program around from where it was when he got the job. has he won a conference championship? no but he has been damn close 2 times, ( he should be 1-1 in those games but thats for another time), bo has gotten the program back into the national scene and his recruiting has gotten better each year imo. in another couple years i have a feeling that we will be singing his praises cuz nebraska will be BIG champions and in a BCS game again

• Fire 1

To me, some are having trouble adjusting to this FACT:

But Pelini, who has talked to Osborne about these issues, also adds a good point: Osborne's teams often had more talent than most of the teams in the Big Eight and were in enough blowouts to build depth during games. Life in 2012, in the Big Ten, won't be that way.

"I understand what the challenges of this job are," Pelini said. "We're not going to be the most talented team all the time. We're not going to overwhelm people with talent every game. We have to do it better and cleaner than the next guy.

Not an excuse. Just the way college football is in the 21st century.

i disagree, bo is still early in his head coaching career and has done a pretty decent job in turning the program around from where it was when he got the job. has he won a conference championship? no but he has been damn close 2 times, ( he should be 1-1 in those games but thats for another time), bo has gotten the program back into the national scene and his recruiting has gotten better each year imo. in another couple years i have a feeling that we will be singing his praises cuz nebraska will be BIG champions and in a BCS game again

how about getting his team ready for big games and not constantly shoot themselves in the foot most of the time? Yes things are better. I'm not dissing Bo just he needs to actually do these things instead of constantly talk about them.

To me, some are having trouble adjusting to this FACT:

But Pelini, who has talked to Osborne about these issues, also adds a good point: Osborne's teams often had more talent than most of the teams in the Big Eight and were in enough blowouts to build depth during games. Life in 2012, in the Big Ten, won't be that way.

"I understand what the challenges of this job are," Pelini said. "We're not going to be the most talented team all the time. We're not going to overwhelm people with talent every game. We have to do it better and cleaner than the next guy.

Not an excuse. Just the way college football is in the 21st century.

Don't worry, the Bo haters will still say it's an excuse.

how about getting his team ready for big games and not constantly shoot themselves in the foot most of the time? Yes things are better. I'm not dissing Bo just he needs to actually do these things instead of constantly talk about them.

As it has beaten down before, and people still can't grasp, but a coach can prepare and tell his team that any given Saturday they can get beat, but it falls on the players to take the action.

As a player in college there were a couple of games where our staff told us to not look past a team and I for one would not buy into that. And it cost us. An example this year was when Yoshi admitted to not watching film on N'Western, thinking there wasw no way NU would lose to them. He said Bo kept telling the team to take them seriously and they(Nebraska) were not as good as they(the players) thought they were, and he still ignored it. That is something that you can't just fix in some players. Unfortunately it takes a wakeup call like that for the light to click on with some guys.

It also shows what NU was getting into in the B1G. This hasn't been a bugaboo for just NU, it has been going on for years.

• Fire 2

I appreciated Bo finally speaking on his desire to be at Nebraska, also comforting to see him open up some.... Sometimes I think Bo thinks we're against him, but in reality most of us would love nothing more then to build a statue of him at memorial because of his accomplishment here at NU.... Keep it up Coach, and do your thing!!

I agree, RR. I'm a Bo-liever too. There are some advantages and disadvantages to being the coach of a big-time program. Where I guess I still get a bit of a contradiction from Bo is that he seems to agree that the program is not quite up to where it should, can, or used to be. Yet he seems to get 'annoyed' when those outside the program (fans) voice displeasure with the program not being where it should, can, or used to be (I harkin back to his response to the booing against OSU when the team was down 24-3 and had hardly shown signs of being a top25 prior to that point in the season). He has high expectations. So do many of us fans. He needs to appreciate that 'we're' going to react negatively too when the team performs under expectations. And unfortunately, like it or not, as the head coach, Bo has to act more level-headed than the fans regardless of the team's performance.

IMO, Bo really needs to clean up the highlighted perception. It would probably smooth over a lot of other areas where some fans take issue.

As it has beaten down before, and people still can't grasp, but a coach can prepare and tell his team that any given Saturday they can get beat, but it falls on the players to take the action.

As a player in college there were a couple of games where our staff told us to not look past a team and I for one would not buy into that. And it cost us. An example this year was when Yoshi admitted to not watching film on N'Western, thinking there wasw no way NU would lose to them. He said Bo kept telling the team to take them seriously and they(Nebraska) were not as good as they(the players) thought they were, and he still ignored it. That is something that you can't just fix in some players. Unfortunately it takes a wakeup call like that for the light to click on with some guys.

It also shows what NU was getting into in the B1G. This hasn't been a bugaboo for just NU, it has been going on for years.

Sorry but there are teams out there with less talent and somehow manage to get ready for big games. Next thing you will tell me is that Les Miles didn't have his team ready to play in the championship game. I can handle getting out played but not when it's our own fault.

Sorry but there are teams out there with less talent and somehow manage to get ready for big games. Next thing you will tell me is that Les Miles didn't have his team ready to play in the championship game. I can handle getting out played but not when it's our own fault.

Care to give us any examples?

Boise St., TCU, Utah(Pre-Pac12)

I would guess that the average fan for most teams can name 6-8 players on the roster. I would also guess that he average Husker fan can name 6-8 lineman on the two deep, the top 3 RBs, qbs and at least 2 of the DBS.

Ha! And that may be on the low side ;)

Da Skers, I have to ask. A month ago you started a thread proclaiming "Sports journalism has hit a new low.":

For the record....our AP writer for Nebraska football along with another OWH reporter are wanting to write a negative story on Bo in the up coming days. I say wanting because they are calling boosters and asking loaded questions that are in a negative slant to serve the purpose of the story. One guy is already stating he was not asked a single positive question about Bo in the 10 minutes he talked to this reporter and he pointed it out to the guy. I can't believe these guys call themselves reporters doing that crap and I wish UNL would set up more Randy York stuff and send it out daily to the news papers to counter act this type of crap. They are being very specific and trying to generate a negative response. As a former journalist, stuff like this pisses me off. These two guys are going out of their way to try and create hate for a public individual that can't even legally protect himself. And they wonder why they get short, sh#t answers when they ask them.

Please remember this when you're reading the "spin" from a couple of guys with no journalistic integrity what so ever.

Is this it? If not, what happened to it? Are we still waiting on it to come out?

Boise St., TCU, Utah(Pre-Pac12)

oh goodness one of these guys. have you played the game?

Loved this article. Nice confirmation of what many of us already knew:

>Bo wants to WIN in NEBRAKSA (Remember that the next time a coaching opening comes up)

>Bo knows what he wants and is well aware of the problems that are keeping this team from CCG and MNC! (Much better than we do!)

>Bo cares for the total athlete: His football playing, his grades and his character as a person-You can't ask for a better coach than that.

>Bo has a side of him that is totally vulnerable-raw honesty-a true love for his kids and NU. (Remember Post game Penn State. I'll never forget that interview) We saw a little of that in this interview.

>Bo is fiery and I wouldn't have it any other way. However, it's encouraging to know that he knows he has a problem with his temper and that he is seeking help.

I figured he was talking with T.O. When you have a legend in your backyard you take advantage of it. He is. That's a good thing.

I'm excited about this upcoming season! It's going to be fun! Watching these boys grow...watching things change...watching us win! And to people who say that Bo doesn't 'walk the walk'? What's your measuring stick? Wins and losses??? I'm sorry but oh yeah he does. Contrary to popular belief growth isn't just measured by wins and losses. We would all love that but that is only one measurement. There were so many cool things that happened this year that weren't happening last year. The same will happen this year. Other teams in conference lost too-games that they shouldn't have lost but did. So if folks are only measuring Bo's 'walk the walk' by wins and losses-open your mind and consider other ways to measure growth and success. GREAT READ!!!