SIGNED LB Marcus Newby

Nexus

Hey its great this is public now. As I understand it he actually gave his Verbal at the BRW and Bo told him to talk it over with his parents and think about it for a week or so to be 100% sure. Sounds like we have one more from that weekend who gave us a verbal that hasn't been public yet.

That's the one thing I don't like about how Bo recruits. He'd make an awful salesman. "Look, I know you want to buy this Cadillac, but go home and sleep on it, talk about it with your wife and get back to me tomorrow."

If you had a limit on how many Cadillacs you could sell, and if you sold a Cadillac to someone that could take it home today and return any time before February with no charge to them, then as a salesman wouldn't you want them to know they really wanted the Cadillac before they took it off the lot?

• Fire 1

That's the one thing I don't like about how Bo recruits. He'd make an awful salesman. "Look, I know you want to buy this Cadillac, but go home and sleep on it, talk about it with your wife and get back to me tomorrow."

I actually like it. The atmosphere can make you feel like you have to commit because its so much fun and easy to get caught up in. If he committed and then backed out a week later after he realized what he got himself into it would look really bad imo, and alot of recruiting is about momentum. I think we get less decommits that way. Had it been Hannon whos visited a couple times i think they probably would have accepted his committment on the spot, since it was his first visit its a good idea to go home relax, let the excitement wear off and make a better decision imo.

• Fire 1

I disagree and some kids he takes right away. But how can you take a verbal from a kid who hasn't talked to his parents about it and who's parents you haven't had conversations with about what will be expected of him at Nebraska? That was the case here. If the family had the time to talk it over first we wouldn't have asked him to go home discuss it and make sure its 100%. I think people get the wrong idea of what we really do. Any coach can take advantage of a situation and pressure a kid into a yes. I'm glad we're not like that. But when say "fantastic! are your folks excited and he says they don't know yet...you have to put the breaks on a little."

If you had a limit on how many Cadillacs you could sell, and if you sold a Cadillac to someone that could take it home today and return any time before February with no charge to them, then as a salesman wouldn't you want them to know they really wanted the Cadillac before they took it off the lot?

That's where the salesman part comes in. Make sure they really want it.

I actually like it. The atmosphere can make you feel like you have to commit because its so much fun and easy to get caught up in. If he committed and then backed out a week later after he realized what he got himself into it would look really bad imo, and alot of recruiting is about momentum. I think we get less decommits that way. Had it been Hannon whos visited a couple times i think they probably would have accepted his committment on the spot, since it was his first visit its a good idea to go home relax, let the excitement wear off and make a better decision imo.

We may or may not get less decommits that way, but we may or may not miss out on more guys we really want in the first place.

I disagree and some kids he takes right away. But how can you take a verbal from a kid who hasn't talked to his parents about it and who's parents you haven't had conversations with about what will be expected of him at Nebraska? That was the case here. If the family had the time to talk it over first we wouldn't have asked him to go home discuss it and make sure its 100%. I think people get the wrong idea of what we really do. Any coach can take advantage of a situation and pressure a kid into a yes. I'm glad we're not like that. But when say "fantastic! are your folks excited and he says they don't know yet...you have to put the breaks on a little."

You're probably right in this case (obviously it worked). But generally I wished we pushed a little harder for commitments.

Actually, i would buy from a salemen that was like this, well before i bought from a pushy one.

I know what your saying, but each approach has its advantages, as well as its disadvantages. We dont loss a lot of kids on signing day, we dont have many transfered (compared to other schools), and most kids stay till their Sr year. Those are the benefits from taking the slow and steady approach. Again, neither approach is perfect.

That's where the salesman part comes in. Make sure they really want it.

A good salesman does more than make you WANT IT. A great salesman makes you think you can't live without it, make you wonder how you've gone so long without it, and makes you feel like your life is incomplete until you get it!!!
A salesman never wants a customer to go home and "cool off" over their product.
Actually as a guy who personally made around 4.5 million in sales last year I can tell you that is a false statement. A good sales peron knows how to read his customer. He knows when to apply a little pressure to close and he also knows when it's too much and he needs to back off or risk losing the sale. He also knows who's the decision maker and many times it isn't the person saying yes.
  • Fire 1
Actually as a guy who personally made around 4.5 million in sales last year I can tell you that is a false statement. A good sales peron knows how to read his customer. He knows when to apply a little pressure to close and he also knows when it's too much and he needs to back off or risk losing the sale. He also knows who's the decision maker and many times it isn't the person saying yes.

Spot on. Building a rapport with each person is imparitive and asking the appropriate discover questions.

How many times do we hear that mom wants him to go somewhere. Maybe the kids need to convince her.