SIGNED LB Marcus Newby

Nexus

8 linebackers in 2 years? Are we going to run a 2-5 defense? Glad we got him, but thats a lot of talent. I hope we dont waste any of it!

I believe its only 7 with one being a juco and one may still be an academic casualty

Precisely! We took 4 for this falls class (1 of which is a Juco, and 1 of which most likely won't make it this fall) So really we took 2 4-year guys.

The LBers of the 2013 class have been told Bo will take 4... all could be freshmen, but we lose Compton, Fisher, and Whaley after this fall so we will need the depth.

Next fall (assuming the worst... that Brown doesn't make it) we will have a Roster that looks like this:

Zaire Anderson (Senior)

Trevor Roach (Junior)

David Santos (Sophomore)

Max Pirman (Sophomore)

Michael Rose (RS FR or Sophomore)

Jared Afalava (RS FR or Sophomore)

Josh Bandaras (True Freshman)

Courtney Love (True Freshman)

Marcus Newby (True Freshman)

That's a 3 deep... assuming all those 9 guys play out to be all their cracked up to be and reality shows that some of them won't ever see the field for one reason or another (academic casualty, injury, discipline/behavior problems, menatally not there, etc.)

JP has 7 commits already. Damn

Yeah, he's really proving himself to be a talented recruiter, already had before this year actually. Huge get...welcome Marcus!

This LB class is looking sick :D

FYI, I read Ross Els was his lead recruiter.

Yeah I read that as well, was echoed by Newby's Coach as well. He said Ross was on point the whole time and did a fantastic job.

Yeah, he's really proving himself to be a talented recruiter, already had before this year actually. Huge get...welcome Marcus!

Yeah I read that as well, was echoed by Newby's Coach as well. He said Ross was on point the whole time and did a fantastic job.

Thanks for the info RedDenver and caveman. That's almost better...JP is kind of a proven commodity. Having other members of our staff run point (and landing) solid recruits like this bodes well.

Regardless of who the lead recruiter is on paper, Newby is here because we have JP on our staff. (But I'm sure everyone knows that, right?)

This is a huge pick up. When watching his film, I have flashbacks as if I was watching the 1999 season. Marcus fits the mold to a T almost to those guys. And honestly those LBs were some of the best/most enjoyable group to watch in NU's history. Eric Johnson, Julius Jackson, Carlos Polk. Scott Shanle, Jamie Burrow, Tony Ortiz, and Randy Stella. He looks like he'd fit in perfectly. Let's hope he turns out that well.