LB Darian Claiborne [Texas A&M - Signed NLI]

Nexus

Do I smell a 3-4 defense in the works... eh....

If we manage to land Claiborne (which would be aaawesome), I would start to get the idea that the defense is leaning towards more of a 3-4 look.

I would see that as well if not for the types of DEs we are recruiting. Usually DEs in a 3-4 are a little bigger aren't they? Since the purpose of the 3-4 is for the 3 linemen to hold up blocks, take on double teams, and allow space for the LBs to get through and pursue the ball carrier and QB.

If we manage to land Claiborne (which would be aaawesome), I would start to get the idea that the defense is leaning towards more of a 3-4 look.

I would see that as well if not for the types of DEs we are recruiting. Usually DEs in a 3-4 are a little bigger aren't they? Since the purpose of the 3-4 is for the 3 linemen to hold up blocks, take on double teams, and allow space for the LBs to get through and pursue the ball carrier and QB.

I tend to agree. That's way Jared Crick is a DE for the Texans in their 3-4. 3-4 DEs are more similar to what DTs in a 4-3 are built like with a huge NT. Traditionally.

I agree but both Natter and Suttles have the time and frames to become those types of DEs. Doubt Gregory ever gets that big but would most likely be used as an OLB.

It's been mentioned that brown is an excellent pass rusher, that doesn't mean he can play end for us. Maybe in clear passing situations he could line up there ala demorrio in 2003, but the kid is olb all the way.

This is the type of defense I was expecting from Bo when we hired him. It was the reason I wanted him. I was hoping to see something similar to Demorrio's 11 sacks and Bullocks' 10 ints in 2003. I know we have had some dominant defenses but those seemed to be based more on talent than scheme. Our pass rush almost literally does not exist in many games. I hope there is more creativity in the front seven next year similar to Demorrio at DE.

FWIW I have years of experience on NCAA 07 so I kinda know what I'm talking about.

It's been mentioned that brown is an excellent pass rusher, that doesn't mean he can play end for us. Maybe in clear passing situations he could line up there ala demorrio in 2003, but the kid is olb all the way.

This is the type of defense I was expecting from Bo when we hired him. It was the reason I wanted him. I was hoping to see something similar to Demorrio's 11 sacks and Bullocks' 10 ints in 2003. I know we have had some dominant defenses but those seemed to be based more on talent than scheme. Our pass rush almost literally does not exist in many games. I hope there is more creativity in the front seven next year similar to Demorrio at DE.

FWIW I have years of experience on NCAA 07 so I kinda know what I'm talking about.

'07???? The game has passed you by old man

Where did the talk of him visiting come from? Anyone have a link? Just curious as it seems out of the blue to me. Thanks.

From an interview he did with 247, nothing official yet, he said the coaches have been in contact with him recently on FB and hes going to talk to his family and see if they want to take another trip up to see NU.

Where did the talk of him visiting come from? Anyone have a link? Just curious as it seems out of the blue to me. Thanks.

From an interview he did with 247, nothing official yet, he said the coaches have been in contact with him recently on FB and hes going to talk to his family and see if they want to take another trip up to see NU.

Interesting. Thanks HF. Well I was very high on him in the spring and would love to see him take a visit here.

I hope NU is a real consideration for him. Regardless if we even had the #1 LB class right now, some players do not pan out or get injured, homesick, etc. You gotta have a stocked cupboard so we do not have depth issues.

Yeah build depth especially with MLB will Compton leaving

I hope NU is a real consideration for him. Regardless if we even had the #1 LB class right now, some players do not pan out or get injured, homesick, etc. You gotta have a stocked cupboard so we do not have depth issues.

Yeah build depth especially with MLB will Compton leaving

I get the sarcasm but there is not a ton of playing time from returning LB's. And while we look good on paper, I would liek to have as many options as possible at this position.

Use the DE"s as OLB's. (Randy Gregory, for instance, would probably be a stand up DE, essentially. same with Thomas Brown. Similar to Dion Jordan at Oregon.

3-4.

McMullen/Valentine/Curry Gregory/Zaire/whoever you think starts/Thomas Brown would be decent, IMO.

Use the DE"s as OLB's. (Randy Gregory, for instance, would probably be a stand up DE, essentially. same with Thomas Brown. Similar to Dion Jordan at Oregon.

3-4.

McMullen/Valentine/Curry Gregory/Zaire/whoever you think starts/Thomas Brown would be decent, IMO.

In a bit of a hurry so I'm not picking through all the info just FYI. Don't have the time to go through recruiting/depth and how it would play out