NFL combine

Bench is not that useful of an indicator IMO. They should get rid of it. Jones has had back issues for how many years? Can't workout with back issues.

When you're an offensive lineman, and 2 quarterbacks can do more bench reps than you, it's a useful indicator of, well, something.

That our pipeline is currently the same state as the Keystone one? Non-existent.

Sad when our starter lacks that much strength. His overall combine was pretty bad. Saw another site break down all of his combine stats and he was sadly towards the bottom, if not last, in all categories.

Shows that our "best" appear to be a long way off. At least the staff appears to know this and has some young kids in the wings.

Bench is not that useful of an indicator IMO. They should get rid of it. Jones has had back issues for how many years? Can't workout with back issues.

When you're an offensive lineman, and 2 quarterbacks can do more bench reps than you, it's a useful indicator of, well, something.

That our pipeline is currently the same state as the Keystone one? Non-existent.

Sad when our starter lacks that much strength. His overall combine was pretty bad. Saw another site break down all of his combine stats and he was sadly towards the bottom, if not last, in all categories.

Shows that our "best" appear to be a long way off. At least the staff appears to know this and has some young kids in the wings.

I have to think Yoshi will probably catch on with someone if he shows well at our Pro Day. He was only on the radar for one season, after starting off at a JUCO. At the very least, with his size, he'll be a training camp body for somebody to take a look at. You can take that to the bank.

Caputo just does not have the size to play in the NFL. Period.

I'm not making excuses, but it makes sense to me why only one of our senior O-lineman was invited to the combine.

As for Marcel... He's always had back issues. It's kind of amazing he was able to bounce back this year and play so well... surpirsed me for sure. Bench pressing actually puts a lot of torque on your back if you do it with powerlifting style. He is a pretty big guy, though, and I would've thought he would've been able to throw up more reps than 14.

I have to think Yoshi will probably catch on with someone if he shows well at our Pro Day. He was only on the radar for one season, after starting off at a JUCO. At the very least, with his size, he'll be a training camp body for somebody to take a look at. You can take that to the bank.

I'm not making excuses, but it makes sense to me why only one of our senior O-lineman was invited to the combine.

As for Marcel... He's always had back issues. It's kind of amazing he was able to bounce back this year and play so well... surpirsed me for sure. Bench pressing actually puts a lot of torque on your back if you do it with powerlifting style. He is a pretty big guy, though, and I would've thought he would've been able to throw up more reps than 14.

Have to agree about Caputo and Yosh. Kind of makes our 9 win season seems better when you factor in that only one of our O lineman got an invite and by statistics, apeared to not do well.

The old adage, it all starts up front, is so true and obvious that we really did not have that much up front this year. Some younger guys starting and another year with Garrison and Stai should help. Imagine our success if our O line became better. Might see a whole different team on the field as it relates to winning.

Have to agree about Caputo and Yosh. Kind of makes our 9 win season seems better when you factor in that only one of our O lineman got an invite and by statistics, apeared to not do well.

The old adage, it all starts up front, is so true and obvious that we really did not have that much up front this year. Some younger guys starting and another year with Garrison and Stai should help. Imagine our success if our O line became better. Might see a whole different team on the field as it relates to winning.

Agree.

It's true, we did not. We got more production out of some guys than we expected though.

Caputo was a foregone conclusion at C this year. Even with his size, it's not like anyone was going to supplant him there. Reeves might've had a shot fully healthy to work in, but I doubt he would've out and out taken Mike's spot away. But even though he started, good Lord it got hard to watch him getting owned over and over again by bigger defensive lineman.

Marcel hadn't ever put together a healthy year before this year since his RS Frosh year. It was kind of stunning to me he stayed healthy, especially with the recurrant nature of back problems, and played as well as he did.

Before this year, it was unknown if Yoshi would actually step up and do something or just be depth chart fodder for his final year. I was personally quite proud of the way the big man stepped up and played this year. Not only did he play well, he became a big leader for the team. We're going to need more of those in the future if we're going to get over this proverbial hump we seem to face. Choi also came out of nowhere his year. Before he emerged, he was known as just the huge Asian could that were really, realy strong. Long also grabbed hold of the RG spot from out of nowhere and held it down the whole year. The only one we had coming back that had prototypical size and no question marks was A-Rod (besides his work ethic :D).

The point is, all our lineman had their warts this year. Cally really screwed the pooch on our OL depth by whiffing on a large number of lineman he brought on board. This was reflected in our line play the last few years. There was a reason guys were out there playing banged up the last half of the last few seasons, and we didn't just send in the backups. We didn't have capable backups. The last two recruiting classes have really gotten back to solidifying the trenches. Not to bitch, because I really like this class of Whittaker and Thurston (both of whom are highly undervalued IMHO)... but it would have been really sweet to land Peat too. He could've walked in and started opposite Moore for four years. Oh well.

The important thing is Bo and Garrison (and probably to a lesser extent Barney) realized we just did not have the horses we needed along the line and have been addressing it the last two classes. We should see improved play from here on out, assuming a good number of these players live up to expectations... which can be a coin flip.

http://www.nfl.com/c...nard?id=2532832

NFL combine analysis on Alfonzo Dennard. Overall really positive, but...

Dennard is a strong all-around player, who doesn't shine with any particular skill, but that's his main strength

lolwhat, Bump coverage.

Alfonzo is a shorter corner and could potentially get out-jumped at the next level.

lolOK, at this point they're simply making stuff up based on on-paper measureables and not even remotely real knowledge about the player.

It was obvious that our OL was and has been the number 1 problem on offense the past few years. The lack in combine invites and the poor showing, AFTER time off to heal and prepare is an accurate picture of the state of our OL.... the question is..... is this a product of Cotton, or are the players just not very good, which is the reason Cotton catches heat? Chicken or egg.

And, I will go against 99.9% on the board here...... yes, I was just as disappointed to see Peat sign with Stanford, but I am not convinced without a doubt that he would be a 4 year starter... Yes, his size is great, but he had better have great technique, because with his frame, guys will get under him... Just because Rivals gave him 5**, doesn't guarantee anything. Many on the board thought that landing Marlon Lucky would produce a 4 year superstar !!

For those who feel like Peat would have been a 4 year starter and "savior" for our OL, need to take a deep breath and see that the odds of that happening would be stacked against him.

That is based on nothing but odds and nothing to do with Andrus Peat as a player.

So, even looking at it just from the odds perspective, his odds are a lot better than the odds of some 3*, or ... an empty spot in the class.

Oh, I totally understand where the "optimism" comes from and the expectations. My question is... how many 5*players have come to Nebraska and "panned out" to be 4 year starters and all americans..... Without doing any research, I would bet that when it comes to "all americans" and nfl caliber players that Nebraska has produced have been 3-4 * guys....

I understand that we have had many more 3-4* guys... I am saying the % , based on the number who have come to campus... Seems we have had MORE 5* disappointments than superstars..

Maybe it is just me, but I think that it has been a while since a "highly hyped" player has actually produce up to the fans expectations. And for everyone that we can name that did, there will be 3-4 that didn't. Just saying that reality says the odds of him coming in and being the savior or 4 year starter are against him.....based on past history of the program.

Jones' lack of strength is a concern for Bunting, which wasn't helped by only 13 bench reps.

"He's a nice-sized guy," Bunting said of Jones, who measured 6-foot-7, 320 pounds, "but he can get upright and overpowered. He'll struggle in that area."

In comparison, both quarterbacks and the 27 running backs that participated in the bench press drill outperformed Jones.

Jones also didn't impress in the 40-yard dash on Saturday, running it in 5.67 seconds, tied for the second-slowest time among offensive linemen.

"He's solid in a lot of areas but he's not a great athlete," said ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay, adding he believes Jones will be a late-round pick.

Jones did not finish in the top 10 of any drill, including the vertical jump (27.5 inches), broad jump (95 inches), three-cone drill (8.03 seconds) and 20-yard shuttle (5.12 seconds).LINK

13 reps?. 5.67 40? What, did Jones forget to work out the last four years at NU? This combine probably cost him a million or so over the next several years.

I watched Marcel Jones run the 40 and gawd he looked awful. I mean I understand he's a big kid, but a 5.67 40? Really?

Watching Marcel Jones run, hearing he only did 13 reps, and seeing that he didn't even place in the top 10 in any event...

...I just realized that's probably why Nebraska struggled to run the ball at times. They're soft and weak up front. I thought I'd never say that about a Bo Pelini coached team.

Oh, I totally understand where the "optimism" comes from and the expectations. My question is... how many 5*players have come to Nebraska and "panned out" to be 4 year starters and all americans..... Without doing any research, I would bet that when it comes to "all americans" and nfl caliber players that Nebraska has produced have been 3-4 * guys....

I understand that we have had many more 3-4* guys... I am saying the % , based on the number who have come to campus... Seems we have had MORE 5* disappointments than superstars..

Maybe it is just me, but I think that it has been a while since a "highly hyped" player has actually produce up to the fans expectations. And for everyone that we can name that did, there will be 3-4 that didn't. Just saying that reality says the odds of him coming in and being the savior or 4 year starter are against him.....based on past history of the program.

It's a case where perception does not equal reality. You get your hopes up for 5* guys so when they do let you down, you get disappointed.

Just think about how many hundreds of 3*, 2*, walk-ons come in here and how many of them turn into superstars. That's the % you are comparing to.

I think the reality is that the odds of Peat succeeding wherever he goes has overwhelmingly more to do with his talent as a player than the ratings he's been given by recruiting services.