Corey Raymond a candidate at LSU?

Nexus

(SIGH) It's not 1995 anymore. No one is ever going to go 60-3 in 5 years with 3 nt's, ever ever EVER again. And coaching staffs are not going to remain intact for decades upon decades with little to no change. It just doesnt work that way anymore. And one last thing, Bo is the Defensive coordinator. Always has been, always will be. JP is a figurehead hire for the sake of organization, no different than Carl was. The fast some will undertand these 3 points, the happier this will be.

• Fire 2

Well, Bo's first time being a DC was at Nebraska.

To be fair, he has a point, saunders. Cannot begin to compare the experience level of Bo when he first became the DC here, and when JP has. It is really not even close.

The difference being we don't really expect JP to be need to be a great DC or qualified the job because he's just the DC in name under Bo's show, whereas when Bo took the job here in 2003, he needed to be a real DC, with an offensive coach in Solich.

if the candidate within is qualified for the position. i wouldn't promote a junior developer (less than 3 years experience) into a senior lead position just because he's a great developer and I don't want him to leave. losing him as a junior developer is far less detrimental to the company than having an unqualified lead...even if a few years down the road he might turn into a great lead. but giving him 2-3 years to develop into that when there's a good chance he won't even still be w/ the company at that time isn't worth it to me.

if i thought JP would be here 10 years from now I'd say this is a great promotion. but these guys come and go so frequently anymore that it's not about promotion anymore in coaching...it's about finding the guy that's best for the position this year, and next year, and maybe the following year. after that it's all bonus.

(software companies in case you can't tell)

People leave companies for a variety of reasons but typically advancement and more money are the usual ones. If you have an outstanding junior developer then why wouldn't you at least consider promoting him or her? Why not give the junior a reason to stay as opposed to a reason to leave? It sounds like, and this is merely conjecture on my part, that you treat the juniors in your company like they're not worth much and completely expendable. Nothing will foment disloyalty, and leaving at the first chance one gets, than to not be appreciated by upper management or the owner of the company. Now if I'm wrong or off base then I apologize, but that's the way your post comes across.

In relation to college football, any coach worth his salt wants to be a head coach. Very few, in fact probably only a tiny minority, are actually happy with being lifetime assistants. Now coaches that get a head gig, don't make it, and then realize it's better to be an assistant are more numerous. But this notion of having a coaching staff intact for 10, 15, 20+ years is almost unheard of anymore.

it's not that at all - once again you came to a very odd conclusion. a guy with 3 years development experience is flat out not qualified to lead a team. he is what he is, doesn't mean he won't be some day but experience trumps "potential" any day of the week in the real world. experience produces results, potential ferments hope. I can't make money on hope. Nebraska can't win on hope and potential.

IMO JP does not have the experience to be a DC at Nebraska. DC at FAU...possibly. HC at Chadron...possibly. But being the DC at Nebraska puts him into an elite group of top level coordinators...one of 25-30 actually. I do not feel JP has the resume to justify being in the top 25 coordinators in college football. As early as 4 years ago he was an intern. For him to "expect" the coordinator position, or have Bo in a position where he must promote or watch him leave is not a position Bo should have himself in in the first place.

spot on, exactly.....Bo ends up babysitting instead of maturing as a leader.

spot on, exactly.....Bo ends up babysitting instead of maturing as a leader.

I disagree. The business example only works to a certain degree. Football, probably moreso than any other sport or profession, is about teaching/mentoring those under you, regardless if you are a coach or player. A head football coach has to be as much of a CEO as he does a mentor, especially to young assistants on his staff. That's why I applaud Bo and his approach. He's not afraid to recognize talent and help a person get started in the coaching profession. But I guess we live in a world where the predominant thought is, well somebody gave me an opportunity when I was young and had no experience but I'll be damned if I'll ever recipocate.

Raymond is going to play major recruiting dividends in the coming years.

Lets see what the Secondary looks like this season. Last year was tough, but there were numerous variables to account for.

Also I hope his son has some football talent would love to see him in Husker red a few years from now! :thumbs

Honestly what that article told me is that Coach Raymond has loyalty to Bo and understands his defensive expertise, now only if the prospects could do the same. If CCR passed up going to his alma mater with a pay raise, then I feel he's in it for more than just a job.

Raymond is going to play major recruiting dividends in the coming years.

Lets see what the Secondary looks like this season. Last year was tough, but there were numerous variables to account for.

Also I hope his son has some football talent would love to see him in Husker red a few years from now! :thumbs

Honestly what that article told me is that Coach Raymond has loyalty to Bo and understands his defensive expertise, now only if the prospects could do the same. If CCR passed up going to his alma mater with a pay raise, then I feel he's in it for more than just a job.

To be fair by all accounts LSU never offered him a job. It is nice to hear CR come out and say no to all the rumors though. Maybe Bo told him how much of a pain it is to let rumors about leaving to coach other schools can be.

The rule of thumb is always hire someone better than you. This is how progress is made.

LOL...That's the way it should be in theory. The reality is quite different.

WHY would that be rule of thumb? If there is a person better than Bo to hire as a coordinator or position coach, then why would they not be the head coach and Bo be an assistant? That sense of reason makes no sense.

my dad was a head FB coach/athletic director for over 25 yrs, so he did some hiring.

based on what i paid attention to, he hired someone HE knew or someone he knew recommended to him probably 85%-90% of the time.

the jobs he applied for and didn't get, were mostly due to him just taking a stab and trying to get hired there, without knowing anyone.

you all need to realize that not everyone wants to coach at N, but see it as a great stepping stone to get to where they want to go. what exactly was Corey Raymond doing before he was at a national powerhouse? would he look at the LSU job as a step up? does he KNOW people there that would hire him? How did he get the job here (by knowing Bo).

Bo is the CEO of N football, but it's not a "business" to him. From my experience it goes a bit like this:

1. Men coach because they want to work with/mold/shape and benefit young boys into good men.

2. they coach because they enjoy the game of football and are EXTREMELY competitive.

3. they enjoy the "outdoor office" part of practices, games, energy, and freedom being on a field provides

4. if....IF they can move into a good program they can make a good living and enjoy some nice benefits.

so, why would any of us think that Corey would stay or go? why would Bo hire from within so much?

CUZ THATS THE WAY IT WORKS