Time to decriminalize

I would argue that it's too high. If you can make the decision to sign up for the armed services and go across seas and risk dying, then you're old enough to make the decision whether to drink alcohol. I would be okay with the legal age of smoking marijuana to be 18 as well. You can buy tobacco at that age, which is entirely way worse for you than cannabis.

My only issue with that is the awareness of the younger generation to grasp the ramifications of drunk driving. I think the average age group right now of most drunk drivers is the 21-34 age group. If you drop the legal age minimum, I think you'll see that number drop to 18 year olds. I know that when I was first 21, I thought I was still invincible. I've driven intoxicated many times when I shouldn't have. Now, I know better and am surprised I was never arrested or worse. If I was allowed to drink at 18...it'd probably have been even worse. I was an idiot at that age.

I would argue that it's too high. If you can make the decision to sign up for the armed services and go across seas and risk dying, then you're old enough to make the decision whether to drink alcohol. I would be okay with the legal age of smoking marijuana to be 18 as well. You can buy tobacco at that age, which is entirely way worse for you than cannabis.

My only issue with that is the awareness of the younger generation to grasp the ramifications of drunk driving. I think the average age group right now of most drunk drivers is the 21-34 age group. If you drop the legal age minimum, I think you'll see that number drop to 18 year olds. I know that when I was first 21, I thought I was still invincible. I've driven intoxicated many times when I shouldn't have. Now, I know better and am surprised I was never arrested or worse. If I was allowed to drink at 18...it'd probably have been even worse. I was an idiot at that age.

Well, I don't think that it would solve the problem, but it would a step in the right direction. There are numerous societies around the world that demonstrate drinking problems are reduced when young people learn at home from their parents how to drink in a moderate and responsible manner. Education would be the key and parents would have to be the role models.

The proportion of the American population who drink has been going down since about 1980, which was long before the states were required to raise the drinking age in 1987. Unfortunately, the number of people who abuse alcohol rose after they increased the legal drinking age.

All good points, but if I may counter...

I completely agree with you regarding the armed services. But, I think there's a significant difference between the 18-year-old who decides to sign up for the Army, and the 18-year-old who wants to join a fraternity/sorority and go to college. There's a difference in maturity there. I wouldn't be opposed to giving armed servicemen a liquor pass, but there's one other obstacle. The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 said states had to raise their minimum drinking age to 21 lest they lose 10 percent of their highway funding - that's a serious amount of money, an amount no state was willing to give up. That's the biggest reason we have the drinking age where it is - money.

I can see states taking a similar stance towards marijuana, because it has similar impairing effects to alcohol i.e. loss of motor skill functions.

I agree that it all boils down to money, just like any political issue. Yes there is a difference in maturity between the two groups you listed, but what about the responsible students that go to college? They're barred from enjoying it because of the irresponsible actions of others, which I don't think is right. Adults aren't barred from enjoying a beer even though you can see everywhere people abusing it.

Couple quick questions.

Do you guys 'n' gals think prostitution should be legal?

Does anyone actually oppose legalizing marijuana?

Might as well be legal. Its been around as long as people have, so clearly making it against the law has worked out so well. It is legal in parts of Nevada, and the end of society didnt happen.

Couple quick questions.

I am not opposed to legalizing marijuana, but honestly I haven't given a lot of thought to the ramifications of it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why prostitution is illegal. We have Roe v. Wade that has sparked three decades of shouting about a "woman's right to choose" what she does with her body, but she cannot choose to use her body for sex-for-profit. I'm guessing this has a lot more to do with women-as-property than right and wrong.

got some good converstation going here...if i remember right i think california had a vote awhile back to try to legalize weed for rec use and it didnt pass, but was close....i think the same thing will happen for the two states voting this fall...i am pro legalization however i feel it never will be, the united states is all about power and status, and i think there would be a massive uproar of protests by people against (which i feel outnumber people for)...the reason it seems like everyone you talk to is pro legalization is because they are the ones getting up and making noise about it, the people against do not stand up and share their opinion...also the reason i think people who are against legalization, are against, is because they are unaware, im a sophomore at UNL and in the years past my parents, mom in particular would always try to tell me how bad it was and how many brain cells it kills and this and that, well if anyone does a little big of FACTUAL research you will find there are not many negatives, it doesnt kill brain cells, it isnt as bad for your lungs, it does not cause memory loss after impaired, it has caused 0, i repeat 0 deaths...you would have to smoke twice your weight to OD...you have a better chance dying from getting stuck by lightning.....as far as a gateway drug, that is the biggest cop out i have heard....i have smoked weed plenty of times in my short 19 years (almost 20) and i have never once had the urge to try anything harder, nor ever will...and even if it was legalized id find it hard to believe someone would want to try the new bad illegal thing like acid or coke...thats way out of marijuanas league...its a great high and when you're high you do not get violent like you can with alcohol....as far as driving its much different from drunk driving...when i drive high i can perfectly function and can drive great, your eyes are just behind a little bit, it almost feels like a video game, but not near as dangerous as drunk driving, an age restiction should be in placed too if legalized, id say 18....weed is the only drug/plant that i think should be, i believe the reason harder drugs will not be is because they can cause harm to oneself....AR is spot on with stuff should be legal and then punishible if people cause harm to other people...but since meth or anything near that could kill you, thats a very risky move...alright im stepping down from my soap box, time to get high :sarcasm

I am not opposed to legalizing marijuana, but honestly I haven't given a lot of thought to the ramifications of it.

You only need look at California for the ramifications, pot is all but legal in name. Nation Geographic has some good shows on the subject and one call Marijuana Gold Rush had a doctor who was proud of the fact that he never refused to recommend some one for a card. And it's becoming a massive market too, with many illegal growers attempting to become legal. Meaning they have to follow all the laws including those for handicap accessible work places and the like. They also talked to the guy below who owns the largest dispensary in the world, he made the point that each day the feds don't act against these place the harder and harder it becomes for them to do anything at all.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why prostitution is illegal. We have Roe v. Wade that has sparked three decades of shouting about a "woman's right to choose" what she does with her body, but she cannot choose to use her body for sex-for-profit. I'm guessing this has a lot more to do with women-as-property than right and wrong.

In the words of Cooper from Euro Trip "You know America was founded by prudes. Prude who left Europe because they hated all the kinky, steamy European sex that was going on."

But in all seriousness it's a good question. I took a class call Humanities On the Plains and we read a fictional book called Crackpot about a prostitute in Winnipeg who does it to take care of her father. Some of the book is pretty messed up but we had some interesting philosophical discussion on prostitution and it's history. It really made you question if morales matter or what they even are when you are looking out for your family and you conduct it in the most professional manner.

Couple quick questions.

I think women should be flogged and put in dungeons!! Anyone caught smoking weed should have a finger cut off each time they do the crime. However being a compassionate conservative I think we should spend more money for terminator type digits just in case we wrongly convict an individual. That way we can replace their fingers. Also I would make it an option that if they have less than an ounce they may request to have their pinky toe removed rather than a finger!! :restore2

got some good converstation going here...if i remember right i think california had a vote awhile back to try to legalize weed for rec use and it didnt pass, but was close....i think the same thing will happen for the two states voting this fall...i am pro legalization however i feel it never will be, the united states is all about power and status, and i think there would be a massive uproar of protests by people against (which i feel outnumber people for)...the reason it seems like everyone you talk to is pro legalization is because they are the ones getting up and making noise about it, the people against do not stand up and share their opinion...also the reason i think people who are against legalization, are against, is because they are unaware, im a sophomore at UNL and in the years past my parents, mom in particular would always try to tell me how bad it was and how many brain cells it kills and this and that, well if anyone does a little big of FACTUAL research you will find there are not many negatives, it doesnt kill brain cells, it isnt as bad for your lungs, it does not cause memory loss after impaired, it has caused 0, i repeat 0 deaths...you would have to smoke twice your weight to OD...you have a better chance dying from getting stuck by lightning.....as far as a gateway drug, that is the biggest cop out i have heard....i have smoked weed plenty of times in my short 19 years (almost 20) and i have never once had the urge to try anything harder, nor ever will...and even if it was legalized id find it hard to believe someone would want to try the new bad illegal thing like acid or coke...thats way out of marijuanas league...its a great high and when you're high you do not get violent like you can with alcohol....as far as driving its much different from drunk driving...when i drive high i can perfectly function and can drive great, your eyes are just behind a little bit, it almost feels like a video game, but not near as dangerous as drunk driving, an age restiction should be in placed too if legalized, id say 18....weed is the only drug/plant that i think should be, i believe the reason harder drugs will not be is because they can cause harm to oneself....AR is spot on with stuff should be legal and then punishible if people cause harm to other people...but since meth or anything near that could kill you, thats a very risky move...alright im stepping down from my soap box, time to get high :sarcasm

While you may feel you drive great I am sure video surveillance would tell a different story. They did a study on people who thought they were great multi taskers and put them on a drivers course to test their skills. They found that they drove worse than a person legally drunk, these people also thought they were doing great driving. I would not say you are a great driver under the influence of weed unless you can provide proof. eyeswear2allthatsholy

And any time I read "time to legalize it," inevitably that means the person who wrote it smokes, and wants to do it without getting busted.

I think marijuana should be legal and I don't smoke.

I should probably have clarified that I was referring to the OP.

And for the record, I smoked pot in high school, and I probably would on occasion today if it was legal.

35jpo2.jpg

Obligatory pic for this discussion.

I have never smoked weed before so I can't say from personal experience what it feels like to drive under the influence of it. But just about every friend I've had has smoked it and in high school I've followed behind some of them while driving and they drive pretty normal to tell you the truth. If someone is drunk you can usually notice something that is off even if they aren't crossing lines or doing anything that would get them pulled over, but I've never seen it with marijuana and I've even been behind a few cars I thought I was going to get second hand high from. It's hard to find a definitive study on the subject because many of them have their own agenda in mind and others use drivers with combinations of drugs, other than marijuana, and alcohol in their system. But some of them that focus on weed show that drivers under the influence tend to actually keep more separation with the car in front of them and not drive as fast either. It's probably less dangerous than driving while you're on cold medicine and just about everyone has/does do that at some point.

I know this probably isn't the best place to use a source from, but it is less bias than articles from the other side of the argument.

http://norml.org/lib...rational-review