New DB coach

Some more about Terry Joseph's bona fides from the University of Tennessee site:

Terry Joseph, 36, doubled as the Louisiana Tech secondary coach and recruiting coordinator. He helped turn around a Bulldogs unit that ranked dead last in the country the year before his arrival in both total defense and scoring defense to one that sliced its scoring defense average nearly in half by 2008.

In addition to Joseph's success on the field, he also coordinated Dooley's recruiting efforts for the Western Athletic Conference program. Tech's 2009 recruiting class ranked second in the league and Rivals.com tabbed Joseph as the No. 4 recruiter from a non-BCS school in 2008.

Joseph came to Louisiana Tech after one season of graduate assistant work on the LSU staff of Les Miles. Joseph worked under defensive coordinator and current Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini as the Tigers ended the season third nationally in total defense and pass defense, and fourth nationally in scoring defense.

Before that, Joseph gathered a wealth of knowledge of the Louisiana high school football circuit -- especially south Louisiana -- thanks to his three seasons each as an assistant coach at both Archbishop Shaw and Destrehan high schools in the New Orleans area. Joseph was at Archbishop Shaw from 1999 through 2002, and then at Destrehan through 2005.

LINK

Putting a face to the name:

terryjoseph.jpeg

Well sounds like he has ties to the south, hope he can recruit it.

Sounds like he's known better as a recruiter than a coach. Might have a similar approach to Sanders. Kind of loose with the technique and more of a concept and effort guy. The new DC for Tennessee isn't super sold on him from what I can gather and they had him set to Co-Coach the DB's. That sometimes happens where they break up CB and Safety instead of having someone coach inner D-line and RE ends like we do.

Sounds like he's known better as a recruiter than a coach. Might have a similar approach to Sanders. Kind of loose with the technique and more of a concept and effort guy. The new DC for Tennessee isn't super sold on him from what I can gather and they had him set to Co-Coach the DB's. That sometimes happens where they break up CB and Safety instead of having someone coach inner D-line and RE ends like we do.

If there's a position on the field where we could tolerate a good recruiter/not-so-great-coach, it's DBs. Bo can more than pick up the slack there, and if Beck can get the offense even remotely in gear, we shouldn't have to have Bo spend scads of time on that side. Focusing on defense, his passion, may also make for a happier Bo.

Also, found this on Athlon's list of coaches on the Hot Seat for 2012:

4. Derek Dooley, Tennessee (11-14, 2 years)

Although Dooley has been on the job only two years in Knoxville, he will have one of the hottest seats in college football in 2012. After posting four double-digit win seasons from 2001-07 under Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee has not won more than seven games in each of the last four years. Dooley didn’t inherit a full cupboard, but losing to Kentucky in the season finale raised the pressure on him going into next season. Assuming the Volunteers can win eight games and reach the postseason, Dooley should be safe for 2013. However, another 5-7 or 6-6 season could be enough for new athletic director Dave Hart to make a change.

LINK

If his HC is in hot water, it may make the decision that much easier for Joseph to jump ship.

• Fire 1

This potential hire of Terry Joseph looks very promising. Here are just a few stats from last year to take into account.

2011 Pass Defense

#1 Alabama

#11 Tennessee

#18 Nebraska

2011 Total Defense

#1 Alabama

#28 Tennessee

#37 Nebraska

2011 Scoring Defense

#1 Alabama

#36 Tennessee

#42 Nebraska

2011 3rd Down Defense Efficiency

#1 Alabama

#57 Tennessee

#64 Nebraska

2011 Red Zone Defense

#1 Alabama

#47 Tennessee (tied with 8 other schools)

#65 Nebraska

OK, less sold on him. I'd rather have a technician.

But you can't have everything. What we do know is that Bo is superlative working with the secondaries, and that adding a good recruiter with Raymond's departure is a plus for the staff.

If there's a position on the field where we could tolerate a good recruiter/not-so-great-coach, it's DBs. Bo can more than pick up the slack there, and if Beck can get the offense even remotely in gear, we shouldn't have to have Bo spend scads of time on that side. Focusing on defense, his passion, may also make for a happier Bo.

I absolutely disagree. A team needs to have the best coaches they can get at every position. DB is the one positional group where if a player is poorly coached he'll be giving up completions and touchdowns by the bunches.

I absolutely disagree. A team needs to have the best coaches they can get at every position. DB is the one positional group where if a player is poorly coached he'll be giving up completions and touchdowns by the bunches.

Did you read my entire post? I addressed that Bo would pick up the slack there, and he even stated as recently as today that he could do that if called upon.

Sounds like a good hire and it was much more of a splash hire then I was expecting. I also like that his strength is recruiting.

I like the optimism of your post suggesting it is a done deal....................I am still expecting Tennessee to up the ante...............