TE Beau Sandland [Miami Commit]

Nexus

I like him going to a team like my cowboys late in the draft or even free agency. Reminds me of a Jason Witten type. Not terribly fast but a very good blocker and pass catcher. Witten is getting up there in years and he would be a good player to learn from and to model his game after.

No offense to Ben, but I think the only thing he and Jason Whitten have in common is the fact that they both play tight end. He's an unathletic blocking tight end who might catch an occasional pass, NFL teams just don't waste draft picks on those type of guys. My bet is he'll be picked up by a team via free agency. Kyler Reed on the other hand will definitely be drafted and probably make an impact because of his athleticism.

I don't think Ben would take any offense considering you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm confident that I'm right, but for the sake of argument I'd be more than happy to revisit this topic when the draft has concluded and Ben's name hasn't been called.

Ten tight ends were drafted last, all of whom had measurables and production greater than Ben Cotton's. Cotton is ranked as the 16th best tight end going for the 2013 class. He will be an undrafted free agent, who will be lucky if he catches on as a practice squad or special teams player. He is a great player for us, making clutch catches and as a devastating blocker, but he hardly has the athleticism to get open in the BIG. Alot of NFL defensive tackles are as athletic as he is.

The above is just flat out absurd. If I am wrong and Ben isn't drafted I will admit it, but there is no way that no NFL team doesnt give him a chance.

This isn't 1980. Just looked on another site and he's listed as the 20th tight end and 360th player overall. NFL teams these days do not waste picks on tight ends if they are primarily blockers. Two guys who are nearly identical to Ben Cotton physically are Kevin Boss and Bear Pascoe. Boss was a fifth rounder and Pascoe was taken in the sixth, slots where you see Cotton going. Only difference here is that both of those guys had over 100 receptions and 1200 yards in college, on top of being top tier blockers. Cotton has more career starts than career receptions. Tight ends like him are a dime a dozen as far as the NFL is concerned.

This isn't 1980. Just looked on another site and he's listed as the 20th tight end and 360th player overall. NFL teams these days do not waste picks on tight ends if they are primarily blockers. Two guys who are nearly identical to Ben Cotton physically are Kevin Boss and Bear Pascoe. Boss was a fifth rounder and Pascoe was taken in the sixth, slots where you see Cotton going. Only difference here is that both of those guys had over 100 receptions and 1200 yards in college, on top of being top tier blockers. Cotton has more career starts than career receptions. Tight ends like him are a dime a dozen as far as the NFL is concerned.

Did either of the two that you mentioned go under vast offensive changes three out of their four years in college? I couldnt tell you, honest question. Arguing about this will get neither of us anywhere. Ill leave my prediction at 5th round for Ben. You can disagree, but ultimately, we wont get anywhere.

Two problems with your argument - media prognosticators are hardly representative of someone's actual ability or likely draft prospects. It's entertainment and probably even less accurate than recruiting rankings (where they at least have offer lists to go on). Also, college production, particularly at receiving positions, has little to do with projecting nfl ability.

And stud blockers with size and soft hands are hardly a dime a dozen. I agree with the comparisons to boss and pascoe, by the way Obviously we can argue all we want but will just have to wait and see.

Did either of the two that you mentioned go under vast offensive changes three out of their four years in college? I couldnt tell you, honest question. Arguing about this will get neither of us anywhere. Ill leave my prediction at 5th round for Ben. You can disagree, but ultimately, we wont get anywhere.

I usually really respect your opinions EZ, but this time you have it wrong, I find it absurd that you think he's a top 10 TE.

I'm sure he will get a chance, but my point is that it'll be via free agency and not the draft.

I like him going to a team like my cowboys late in the draft or even free agency. Reminds me of a Jason Witten type. Not terribly fast but a very good blocker and pass catcher. Witten is getting up there in years and he would be a good player to learn from and to model his game after.

No offense to Ben, but I think the only thing he and Jason Whitten have in common is the fact that they both play tight end. He's an unathletic blocking tight end who might catch an occasional pass, NFL teams just don't waste draft picks on those type of guys. My bet is he'll be picked up by a team via free agency. Kyler Reed on the other hand will definitely be drafted and probably make an impact because of his athleticism.

I hope you're kidding. Ben is a great blocker and has great size for the nfl

I hope you're kidding. Ben is a great blocker and has great size for the nfl

I agree, Ben is a great blocker and he does have great size for the NFL, but he won't be drafted.

I usually really respect your opinions EZ, but this time you have it wrong, I find it absurd that you think he's a top 10 TE.

I'm sure he will get a chance, but my point is that it'll be via free agency and not the draft.

My thing is with the improvement he has shown this year, if he combines that with a good combine, I really do see him being drafted. In my opinion, I want a Ben Cotton type TE on my team. If I am wrong, Ill buy you a beer at the next HuskerBoard get togethher! ;)

My thing is with the improvement he has shown this year, if he combines that with a good combine, I really do see him being drafted. In my opinion, I want a Ben Cotton type TE on my team. If I am wrong, Ill buy you a beer at the next HuskerBoard get togethher! ;)

Sounds like we have a bet, looking forward to taking you up on that :cheers

Two problems with your argument - media prognosticators are hardly representative of someone's actual ability or likely draft prospects. It's entertainment and probably even less accurate than recruiting rankings (where they at least have offer lists to go on). Also, college production, particularly at receiving positions, has little to do with projecting nfl ability.

And stud blockers with size and soft hands are hardly a dime a dozen. I agree with the comparisons to boss and pascoe, by the way Obviously we can argue all we want but will just have to wait and see.

He only needs one team to fall in love with him. Some things in Bens favor of making and staying on an NFL team are the new athletic tight end(Gronk, Jimmy Graham, etc) are proving to be injury prone. All that production comes with a price. Plus with all the injuries to TEs this year, I've noticed a lot of retread guys that shouldn't be in the league still without all the injuries. So if you're a GM of a playoff team, do you select a 5-10 year vet that's gonna need to get the veteran Min. Or take a guy that can play multiple STs and be a 3rd or 4th option at TE for cheap!

Sounds like we have a bet, looking forward to taking you up on that :cheers

The irony of the situation is, with the way things have turned out for our guys the past few seasons, Cotton may be more likely to catch on as an NFL tight end if he played receiver or defensive end for us now...

BQVXFGZIUGZYGID.20100527202931.JPGBYPHMWAGCSTOOYY.20080519194923.JPG