TE Beau Sandland [Miami Commit]

Nexus

It is ridiculous how idiotic some posters contributions are to this forum. Seriously - passing on Priest Willis would be the biggest knucklehead move of all time, for this program.

I think that #1 knucklehead move has been previously taken and will be for all time for when we passed on Barry Sanders in the mid 80's.

Or possibly saying that we want Marshall Faulk at CB and not RB...that's gotta be up there too.

I am just not sure if we use our TE's enough to warrant him seeing a way to get noticed on the field by the NFL which is something he wants.

This sentence is a farce. First off the weapons that are in this offense make it hard to spread the wealth. This is a problem beau likes. Knowing that he has guys that will leave him in very favorable match hon.

Second shots are looking at way more things the number of catches a TE had in a year. How they block and Finnish plays factor in almost more in their eyes. Things like this out weigh the numbers, a reason why Ben Cotton will be drafted

As important as Cotton is to our offense, their is no chance he gets drafted. Inline, run blocking tight ends are not in vogue these days, especially ones who are going to run five flat at the combine. You are correct in saying that numbers mean little when it comes to drafting tight ends. Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Chase Harper are a couple guys where potential trumped production. If this Sandland kid has it, the NFL willl come calling regardless of where he goes to school.

I like him going to a team like my cowboys late in the draft or even free agency. Reminds me of a Jason Witten type. Not terribly fast but a very good blocker and pass catcher. Witten is getting up there in years and he would be a good player to learn from and to model his game after.

No offense to Ben, but I think the only thing he and Jason Whitten have in common is the fact that they both play tight end. He's an unathletic blocking tight end who might catch an occasional pass, NFL teams just don't waste draft picks on those type of guys. My bet is he'll be picked up by a team via free agency. Kyler Reed on the other hand will definitely be drafted and probably make an impact because of his athleticism.

I like him going to a team like my cowboys late in the draft or even free agency. Reminds me of a Jason Witten type. Not terribly fast but a very good blocker and pass catcher. Witten is getting up there in years and he would be a good player to learn from and to model his game after.

No offense to Ben, but I think the only thing he and Jason Whitten have in common is the fact that they both play tight end. He's an unathletic blocking tight end who might catch an occasional pass, NFL teams just don't waste draft picks on those type of guys. My bet is he'll be picked up by a team via free agency. Kyler Reed on the other hand will definitely be drafted and probably make an impact because of his athleticism.

I don't think Ben would take any offense considering you couldn't be more wrong.

I don't think Ben would take any offense considering you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm confident that I'm right, but for the sake of argument I'd be more than happy to revisit this topic when the draft has concluded and Ben's name hasn't been called.

I'm confident that I'm right, but for the sake of argument I'd be more than happy to revisit this topic when the draft has concluded and Ben's name hasn't been called.

Ten tight ends were drafted last, all of whom had measurables and production greater than Ben Cotton's. Cotton is ranked as the 16th best tight end going for the 2013 class. He will be an undrafted free agent, who will be lucky if he catches on as a practice squad or special teams player. He is a great player for us, making clutch catches and as a devastating blocker, but he hardly has the athleticism to get open in the BIG. Alot of NFL defensive tackles are as athletic as he is.

I believe Ben will be drafted. He will test out well and will prove to be more than just a blocker when he does and will have teams switching their opinions of him. He has something most TEs don't have. He can catch a ball when needed, but more importantly he can block like a bad mutha f'a. Name alot of TEs i the NFL that can do both well. Gronk couldn't block his Grandma. Now, he's a freak athletically and is a huge mismatch. But, most teams aren't gonna get a TE like him or Williams, so they would love to have a TE that can block really well, but still run routes and catch a ball for a lot less money.

And as far as not making a team, I don't feel that will be a problem. He will make a team at the very least on STs. He has the motor, good speed, and size to be a good STer. He will also not care if all he really does is STs. Many NFL ST guys get tired of doing only STs and just pout, have a poor attitude, and end up getting cut b/c of it. Ben is a blue collar type that will just love doing anything he can for his team.