OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

how about Pat Knight of Lamar.

T_O_B

No.. Knight is not even close to as good as his daddy and not sure if you say this froma few weeks ago.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GmCidM-vQs

Cant stand a coach who throws his players under a bus like this...

He's harsh but completely correct. It's all about accountability and when you have seniors on your team that are supposed to be leaders but they are playing bad basketball on the court and getting in trouble off the court with drugs, they sometimes need to be called out.

He probably should have done it behind closed doors in the locker room to his team rather than to the press though. The way he handled it basically made it seem like he was covering his own tail.

• Fire 2

You never actually said you want them to lose every game, but you’re inferring it by your responses to me saying Creighton fan better enjoy this season, because as soon as Doug leaves, everything is up in the air. I could care less if Nebraska gives us any respect. We have been earning it by winning the game most years. But I do think I deserve some respect when posting in a thread trying to talk a little basketball and all I get is multiple Husker fans calling me out for being a fan of both teams (like I was in the CU/NU game thread). And then Husker fan posting a thread talking about poor CU fans. Seems to me like Nebraska fans are the ones that want respect.

Doug could have done well at Northern Iowa. As good as hes doing at CU? I don’t know about that. But that is a moot point because hes a CU, not NI.

Jesus H Christ dude, when did I compare CU to UNC/Duke? I said take away their star player and they won’t be as good. Here, this might be a little better for you…if you take away Jimmer Fredete from BYU they won’t be as good, but still above average. If you take away Adam Morrison from Gonzaga, they won’t be as good, but still above average. Butler wouldn’t have made the NCAA championship two years in a row without Gordon Hayward…oh wait….they must have had other good players on their team besides their star player…are those examples better for you?

I don’t know any other factors as to why he failed at ISU. I never said I did. I said there could have been other factors as to why he failed at ISU, not just that he can’t coach.

Coaches have to start their career somewhere. If Greg did not succeed at Wayne St. do you think he would have gotten a D1 offer to coach?

Are you kidding me dude? Creighton fan (me) thinking CU is the best thing since sliced bread because we made the tourney? Yeah because I think we are going to win the whole thing baby! Give me a freaking break. Im not allowed to be happy for CU making the tourney now? I can’t think they have a good team? Ill remember that when/if Nebraska gets a good team and makes the tourney and everyone on the board is excited about it. By the way, you’re a Husker fan, you should know about arrogance with the football team, but when someone else does it, its not okay. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Mid major standards? What are mid major standards by the way? Im pretty sure there were two mid major final four teams last year. Im pretty sure a mid major went to the championship the last two years. Im pretty sure George Mason was a mid major when they made their final four run. Mid majors are closing the gap with big time programs whether you want to believe it or not. And you won’t get an answer from me from an ISU fan because I don’t talk to any…

You never actually said you want them to lose every game, but you’re inferring it by your responses to me saying Creighton fan better enjoy this season, because as soon as Doug leaves, everything is up in the air. I could care less if Nebraska gives us any respect. We have been earning it by winning the game most years. But I do think I deserve some respect when posting in a thread trying to talk a little basketball and all I get is multiple Husker fans calling me out for being a fan of both teams (like I was in the CU/NU game thread). And then Husker fan posting a thread talking about poor CU fans. Seems to me like Nebraska fans are the ones that want respect.

Doug could have done well at Northern Iowa. As good as hes doing at CU? I don’t know about that. But that is a moot point because hes a CU, not NI.

Jesus H Christ dude, when did I compare CU to UNC/Duke? I said take away their star player and they won’t be as good. Here, this might be a little better for you…if you take away Jimmer Fredete from BYU they won’t be as good, but still above average. If you take away Adam Morrison from Gonzaga, they won’t be as good, but still above average. Butler wouldn’t have made the NCAA championship two years in a row without Gordon Hayward…oh wait….they must have had other good players on their team besides their star player…are those examples better for you?

I don’t know any other factors as to why he failed at ISU. I never said I did. I said there could have been other factors as to why he failed at ISU, not just that he can’t coach.

Coaches have to start their career somewhere. If Greg did not succeed at Wayne St. do you think he would have gotten a D1 offer to coach?

Are you kidding me dude? Creighton fan (me) thinking CU is the best thing since sliced bread because we made the tourney? Yeah because I think we are going to win the whole thing baby! Give me a freaking break. Im not allowed to be happy for CU making the tourney now? I can’t think they have a good team? Ill remember that when/if Nebraska gets a good team and makes the tourney and everyone on the board is excited about it. By the way, you’re a Husker fan, you should know about arrogance with the football team, but when someone else does it, its not okay. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Mid major standards? What are mid major standards by the way? Im pretty sure there were two mid major final four teams last year. Im pretty sure a mid major went to the championship the last two years. Im pretty sure George Mason was a mid major when they made their final four run. Mid majors are closing the gap with big time programs whether you want to believe it or not. And you won’t get an answer from me from an ISU fan because I don’t talk to any…

No I wasn't inferring it. Try again. Take the blue glasses off and see things for what it is. Creighton is where it is this year because of Doug playing for them. If he is not there, this team is waiting for their invite to the CIT no matter what you think of their "depth". After he is gone, it is completely up in the air where this team goes, where they are now or back down to what the previous five or so years had been, thus why I said enjoy the ride. It's not Jay bashing or hating, it's reality!

Why would you ever think anyone should give you respect for being a fan of two teams? I'd have much more respect if you where a fan of just one no matter how bad they sucked. Too easy to jump on the bandwagon when one is doing better then the other. Not sure why you wouldn't expect to hear from Husker fans talking any trash to you on a HUSKER message board? If you don't like it, then I would suggest heading over to the multitude of Jay message boards, oh wait, nm.

Your comparison to Gonzaga, BYU and Butler are all actually a little more comparable then Duke/NC. One guy does make more of a difference to those teams but once again you have your blue glasses on and are thinking way too highly of Creighton and even comparing them to those schools as they have all done much more then Creighton. Thanks for proving my point again sliced bread.

If all you are going to say is there could be other factors with ISU, then I will reply maybe there weren't any factors other then him, if that's the best you can do to answer that.

There are plenty of coaches that do great at the lower levels and can't do jack in the big time. Once again, using Wayne State as an example as to why he should be considered a good Division I coach is a serious LOL, thus the high school coach reference by me. It means nothing.

Awesome to see you calling Husker football fans arrogant. That'll win over Husker fans to cheer for Creighton.

Saying mid majors are closing the gap only proves more the Greg is a good coach at best and nothing close to great since he hasn't even been close to that kind of success. Thanks for helping prove the point.

BTW, since the Mav's are now Division I are you a big fan?

• Fire 1

No I wasn't inferring it. Try again. Take the blue glasses off and see things for what it is. Creighton is where it is this year because of Doug playing for them. If he is not there, this team is waiting for their invite to the CIT no matter what you think of their "depth". After he is gone, it is completely up in the air where this team goes, where they are now or back down to what the previous five or so years had been, thus why I said enjoy the ride. It's not Jay bashing or hating, it's reality!

Why would you ever think anyone should give you respect for being a fan of two teams? I'd have much more respect if you where a fan of just one no matter how bad they sucked. Too easy to jump on the bandwagon when one is doing better then the other. Not sure why you wouldn't expect to hear from Husker fans talking any trash to you on a HUSKER message board? If you don't like it, then I would suggest heading over to the multitude of Jay message boards, oh wait, nm.

Your comparison to Gonzaga, BYU and Butler are all actually a little more comparable then Duke/NC. One guy does make more of a difference to those teams but once again you have your blue glasses on and are thinking way too highly of Creighton and even comparing them to those schools as they have all done much more then Creighton. Thanks for proving my point again sliced bread.

If all you are going to say is there could be other factors with ISU, then I will reply maybe there weren't any factors other then him, if that's the best you can do to answer that.

There are plenty of coaches that do great at the lower levels and can't do jack in the big time. Once again, using Wayne State as an example as to why he should be considered a good Division I coach is a serious LOL, thus the high school coach reference by me. It means nothing.

Awesome to see you calling Husker football fans arrogant. That'll win over Husker fans to cheer for Creighton.

Saying mid majors are closing the gap only proves more the Greg is a good coach at best and nothing close to great since he hasn't even been close to that kind of success. Thanks for helping prove the point.

BTW, since the Mav's are now Division I are you a big fan?

Ive proved my worth on this board, hence the fact I have my avatar. If you are gonna give me sh#t for having pride in my STATE and wishing both teams well, it just shows what kind of person you are. And I don't waste my time with people like you. We will see how they do down the road without Doug. Its called recruiting.

And as far as the Mavs go, I have my reasons for liking Creighton. Most of the people on this board who are actually respectful know what those reasons are and understand why I like both teams. Im not even going to waste my time telling you. Im done with you. Hope your team makes the dance next year :)

P.S. as far as arrogance goes, read some of the threads and you'll see it in every thread. Thinking people of other teams should bow down because we are Nebraska. Take off your RED tinted glasses and you will see it. Or you can ask fans of other teams that joined this board. I've seen so many arguments turn into we have five national championships, how many do you have? Well, how'd you do this season? Well, we have five national championships, how many do you have? It makes me sick as a Husker fan to see that crap. Why can't people just admit we are down at the moment, but we hopefully be back one day.

Sounds like Groce might be the biggest target for us. I still think we're looking at an up hill battle. 1- because most coaches think we're a grave yard for college coaches. 2- TO will be retired in the next two years and no one wants to have the prospect of a unknown boss coming up when you have a big building project in front of you. If we do get someone like him to come, look for a big buy out to be attached to the contract should things go south in a few years. I think most people would feel better if Harvey were gone before TO as he's the guy who makes the biggest blunders in the grand scheme of the program.

There is one point I'm pretty confident about and that is .........................Neil Hawks WON'T be part of the search committee...................

Are you sure? I realize he is a huge Doc fan but you have to consider he wouldn't have run that full page advertisement without the unofficial consent of TO as well. It was a last ditch effort to create some momentum for Doc. If there was ever going to be a rally to keep him it would have started after that full page ad. What it really did is give Tom a fair chance to gage what people thought about Doc. If people come out of the woodwork to support him Doc stays if he pulls off a couple or even one win in the B10 tourney. If things stay indifferent or people bark louder than before about a change then you know something needs to be done and you're working the downward spiral.

Edit: and I don't know one way or the other if he is or isn't going to be consulted but I would guess TO already has talked to him about what he thinks is needed coming from the AAU side of things and having kids on his team be recruited by different coaches.

There is one point I'm pretty confident about and that is .........................Neil Hawks WON'T be part of the search committee...................

Are you sure? I realize he is a huge Doc fan but you have to consider he wouldn't have run that full page advertisement without the unofficial consent of TO as well. It was a last ditch effort to create some momentum for Doc. If there was ever going to be a rally to keep him it would have started after that full page ad. What it really did is give Tom a fair chance to gage what people thought about Doc. If people come out of the woodwork to support him Doc stays if he pulls off a couple or even one win in the B10 tourney. If things stay indifferent or people bark louder than before about a change then you know something needs to be done and you're working the downward spiral.

Edit: and I don't know one way or the other if he is or isn't going to be consulted but I would guess TO already has talked to him about what he thinks is needed coming from the AAU side of things and having kids on his team be recruited by different coaches.

You may be right, but I would really doubt if TO asks for his assistance on the search................to me it smacks of pandering.........

I am seeing a lot of posts that say this guy is out of reach or wouldn't be interested but I am of the opinion that you identify the best guys then you go after them. You show them the facilities and then you say: "The playing field has been leveled. All the tools are there. "This fan base is HUNGRY for a basketball winner. They are a passionate fan base, just look at the other sports." This University has never won a NCAA tournament game. You do that for them and you become a LEGEND" There's only one other school that can write the same story, so you can establish a legacy that others can't. If you can recruit you can build the tradition. Be the man, build the tradition."

And if that doesn't work add...

"Or are you chicken?"

Seriously, appeal to the guy's ego. A challenge may be just what some of these guys are looking for. As long as they have the tools to work with, support from a good administration and a fan base that will support them I think they will consider it.

This would be the first thing I would attempt:

1. Bring back Danny Nee in some way. If that means Marc Boehm has to be let go, so be it.

2. Go after Danny Nee's high school teammate, Lew Alcindor.

Is it a total reach? Maybe. But Nebraska needs a big time splash hire to get onto the college basketball map and I can't think of a bigger WOW name. He has always wanted the opportunity to be a head coach, let's see if we can't be the ones to give it to him.