OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

I think Doyle is right about the strategy we need to implement. Go after a hot-handed, talented coach like Shaka. And then beat him about the head and shoulders with large bags of money until he comes to Lincoln. Hey, it could work.

I agree. You can get a quick turnaround with basketball because you only have to a couple of stars, a couple of good players and a role player or two. You just have to get a guy who can recruit and get them here. Who knows maybe a Pitino is tired of where he is at? Or Coach K wants to try and do a startup just for kicks and for a challenge. You never know.

I think Doyle is right about the strategy we need to implement. Go after a hot-handed, talented coach like Shaka. And then beat him about the head and shoulders with large bags of money until he comes to Lincoln. Hey, it could work.

I agree. You can get a quick turnaround with basketball because you only have to a couple of stars, a couple of good players and a role player or two. You just have to get a guy who can recruit and get them here. Who knows maybe a Pitino is tired of where he is at? Or Coach K wants to try and do a startup just for kicks and for a challenge. You never know.

Yeah, it seems like it would be a lot easier to jumpstart a crappy basketball program than football. BB you only need to hit a couple homeruns in recruiting. The logistics of football are much more daunting.

Haven't paid much attention to this thread and I'm not gonna take the time to read through it to see if someone has already mentioned this guy. I know he would be a long shot, but what about Danny Manning? He most likely wouldn't stay here long but I'm sure he could at least get this program heading in the right direction, and I'm more than certain this guy would be able to recruit.

Haven't paid much attention to this thread and I'm not gonna take the time to read through it to see if someone has already mentioned this guy. I know he would be a long shot, but what about Danny Manning? He most likely wouldn't stay here long but I'm sure he could at least get this program heading in the right direction, and I'm more than certain this guy would be able to recruit.

I like Manning as well. He has done wonders with Thomas Robinson this year. Would be a very recognizable name with recruits and their parents. I don't know if he would please everyone though cause he's not really that fiery, rah rah guy that some people would want. Just always seems real calm and collected. He reminds me a bit of Leonard Hamilton from FSU in his mannerisms. I think he would definitely be a players coach, but to be successful I think he would need to hire an older, more experinced asisstant coach to have on the bench.

Pretty good article by Greg Doyle:

This is a problem, but not a surprise. Nebraska has played in the NCAA tournament six times in 74 years. All-time tournament victories: zero.

That's ridiculous, even nonsensical. Nebraska has one of the more complete athletic departments in the country, starring that monster football program that has won five national titles, but with lots more. The baseball team has three College World Series appearances in the past decade. The women's gymnastics team has made six Super Six appearances in nine years, and the men's gymnastics team is even better, with eight NCAA titles.

Wrestling? Nebraska has finished in the top 10 nationally 18 times. Track and field? The men and women dominated the Big 12, taking 22 of 56 indoor and outdoor titles since 1996. Three national championships in volleyball, too.

I would say Nebraska is good at pretty much everything but basketball -- but that wouldn't be fair to the women's basketball program, which reached the Sweet 16 in 2010, a season the Huskers started by winning their first 30 games.

590 had Doyle on today and by the end of the interview he had me more pumped up talking about our basketball potential then anyone I have heard or read. There is absolutely no reason not to at least try to go after anyone and everyone we would like to put on that list. We have the facilities, a huge athletic department budget and a fan base that would rapidly embrace the team with success on the court. Get the moneybags out and start throwing some money at people and see what happens.

Sigh. I will be very disappointed if Altman is hired. Sure he has been successful in the MVC and the PAC 12, but those two conferences aren't even close to the same level as the Big 10. In my opinion, the Big 10 has one of the - if not THE - strongest conference this year in basketball. It's not only because of some of the elite players, but the coaches are above average. Ohio St, Mich St, Mich, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Purdue are great teams. Then add the fact that the other teams aren't to be taken lightly and it's a tough overall conference from top to bottom.

Will Altman be able to compete not only on the court but also in recruiting battles to get elite players that every basketball team needs to be really successful? If I remember correctly, his coaching tenure at Kansas St didn't really go too swell. I believe he had a couple okay years, but most included a losing season in conference.

I don't know. I guess it's not surprising TO would go after Altman, but it's pretty disappointing if that's indeed who ends up getting the gig.

Will Altman be able to compete not only on the court but also in recruiting battles to get elite players that every basketball team needs to be really successful? If I remember correctly, his coaching tenure at Kansas St didn't really go too swell. I believe he had a couple okay years, but most included a losing season in conference.

1993 Big 8 Coach of the year :dunno

1993 Big 8 Coach of the year :dunno

Oh yeah, he beat Nebraska with that buzzer beater in that snoozy 40-40 game in the conference tourney. Yawn.

An Altman hire would be really disappointing to me. We are already near the bottom, I would have no problem with a young hot coach getting a shot and taking a few lumps in developing a strong program. And then for the worries that it would be a stepping stone job, I just dont think so. We can make this a very desirable destination if the coach can do his part. I think we need to throw lots of money at the young successful guy who could be here for the long haul. A serious question, how much does a guy like Dana Altman actually have left in the tank, he's already been in the HC profession for what 25, 30 years? Personally I think we'd be better off with someone young and motivated trying to make a name for himself and basically build a program from essentially scratch as opposed to a guy like Altman who-and this is just speculation of course-would just be along for the ride and going through the motions towards the end of his career, knowing he can do so in his home state.

Here's a coach that would be a great get for N-BB...

Rick Majerus Named SLU Men’s Basketball Coach

News conference to be held Monday on SLU campus

ST. LOUIS -- Saint Louis University President Lawrence Biondi, S.J., announced today that Rick Majerus will be the new Billikens head men's basketball coach. Prior to working as a college basketball analyst for ESPN for the last three years, Majerus amassed a 422-147 career head coaching record and took his teams to the postseason 15 times.

majerus_105.jpg

The University will hold an on-campus news conference at 10 a.m. Monday, April 30, to formally announce Majerus' appointment. The news conference will be held in Room 172 of Busch Student Center, 20 N. Grand Blvd.

"I am extremely excited about having a person of Rick Majerus' stature and reputation at the helm of our men's basketball team. I know that we are now headed to take our men's basketball team to the next level" Father Biondi said. "Rick and I have gotten a chance to know each other over the past week, and I am very impressed with all that he will bring to our men's basketball program, including his commitment to run a program that we can all be proud of."

"Rick Majerus is known as one of the most passionate basketball coaches in America, and he has already communicated that passion to all he has met at SLU," said Director of Athletics Cheryl Levick. "Rick is committed to taking our men's basketball program to the next level, which is what our athletic department and all Billiken fans want. We are also excited about what this means to SLU athletics."

Majerus will join University officials at the news conference Monday.

Saint Louis University is a Jesuit, Catholic university ranked among the top research institutions in the nation. The University fosters the intellectual and character development more than 12,000 students on campuses in St. Louis and Madrid, Spain. Founded in 1818, it is the oldest university west of the Mississippi and the second oldest Jesuit university in the United States. Through teaching, research, health care and community service, Saint Louis University is the place where knowledge touches lives. Learn more about SLU at www.slu.edu.

I want to prefess this by saying...: I in NO way want this to be construed as racist.

With BB being predomonately inhabited by African American players would it behove us to look for an African American coach? Would it give us a little more of an advantage in recruiting and would it be smar to start recruiting the same players as the Norfolk States of the world?

T_O_B

G>B>R

The hot coach of the moment...

2011-2012 Men's Basketball Coaching Staff

<p class="contentDiv" id="ctl00_contentDiv" style="width: 100%; float: left;">

Coaches

Expand

headshot_1_Head%20Coach%20Anthony%20Evans%202011-12%20HS.jpg

Anthony Evans

Head Men's Basketball Coach

Phone: (757) 823-8934

Email: aevans@nsu.edu

Anthony Evans is in his fifth year as head men’s basketball coach at Norfolk State University. The 2011-12 season will be Evans’ ninth year on the Spartans’ coaching staff.

Evans has directed NSU to the best four-year stretch in the school’s Division I history (since 1997-98). In 2007-08, Evans’ first at the helm of the program, Evans guided the Spartans to just their second Division I winning season. The Spartans compiled a 16-15 overall record and finished 11-5 in MEAC play, their most successful regular-season finish since joining the league. NSU also tied for second in the regular-season standings, another high-water mark for the program. NSU advanced to the MEAC Tournament semifinals before losing to eventual champion Coppin State. Evans capped his inaugural season by being named MEAC Co-Coach of the Year by CollegeInsider.com.

In 2008-09, NSU shook off a slow start to reach the cusp of its first-ever MEAC title. The Spartans rode an up-tempo offense and pressure defense to their first MEAC Tournament championship game appearance. Despite falling to Morgan State in the tournament final, the Spartans served notice that they deserve to be mentioned among the conference’s elite.

The 2009-10 Spartans finished the year at 9-7 in conference play. And in 2010-11, the Spartans advanced to the MEAC Tournament semifinals for the third time in four seasons while keeping alive the school’s streak of 13 consecutive seasons with a MEAC record of .500 or better.

Evans served as an assistant at NSU for four seasons before taking over the head job. In that capacity, his duties included developing the backcourt players, scouting opponents and recruiting. Evans was instrumental in the recruitment of several of NSU’s top players. Included among them was a pair of 1,000-point scorers and All-MEAC players, guards Tony Murphy and Corey Lyons. Murphy became the school’s first three-time All-MEAC player and departed as the program’s No. 7 all-time leading scorer.

Murphy and Lyons are just two of the players who have earned conference accolades during Evans’ tenure at NSU. Murphy and fellow guard Michael Deloach were both two-time All-MEAC members during their careers. Current Spartan Kyle O’Quinn has also earned a pair of all-conference designations and last season became the school’s first-ever MEAC Defensive Player of the Year award winner in addition to earning NABC All-District honors.

Evans, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., was formerly the head coach at Delhi Tech in Delhi, N.Y., from 2001-03. His teams went 62-8, including two Region III titles and appearances in the National Junior College Association Division III tournament. He was District I Coach of the Year twice, and Region III Coach of the Year in 2002. His teams at Delhi garnered a No. 1 ranking at one point during both of his years there.

He coached a first-team All-American in 2002-03, and an honorable-mention All-American in 2001-02. Three of his former Delhi players played at Division I schools.

Evans also coached at Ulster County Community College in Kingston, N.Y., for two seasons before his stint at Delhi. At Ulster, Evans’ team went 23-8 and was the Region XV runner-up in 2001, when he was named the region’s Coach of the Year.

Evans earned his bachelor’s degree in marketing from St. Thomas Aquinas in 1994. He played guard for Aquinas, also known as the Spartans.