OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Sounds like Larry Eustachy has asked for consideration and stated he'd be interested if we would want to talk to him. Not sure I think that much of him but the information is an FYI. Some believe we also contacted Smart today but I haven't been able to get a conformation one way or the other. But I would hope like hell we at least ask to talk to him.

I will pass on Larry Eustachy, he was a good coach at ISU and lead them to an elite 8. But the whole partying thing after his team just lost a game hours before hand is still what people remember him for.

AND, wasn't it coeds he was partying with......?? Somehow I doubt Dr. Tom would approve...............(not exactly his idea of "mentoring")

FYI Eustachy has been sober for almost 8 years now and has really turned his life around. That being said, I would like to think we should be able to get more for $2 mil than Eustachy or Sutton. Isn't Doc a family friend of the Sutton's or something? That would have to be a little awkward I would think...

The NY Times published an article shortly before Southern Miss played Kansas State last week detailing Eustachy's "comeback" from alcoholism. Worth a read.

Coach Larry Eustachy Completes Long Road Back

Sounds like Larry Eustachy has asked for consideration and stated he'd be interested if we would want to talk to him. Not sure I think that much of him but the information is an FYI. Some believe we also contacted Smart today but I haven't been able to get a conformation one way or the other. But I would hope like hell we at least ask to talk to him.

I will pass on Larry Eustachy, he was a good coach at ISU and lead them to an elite 8. But the whole partying thing after his team just lost a game hours before hand is still what people remember him for.

AND, wasn't it coeds he was partying with......?? Somehow I doubt Dr. Tom would approve...............(not exactly his idea of "mentoring")

FYI Eustachy has been sober for almost 8 years now and has really turned his life around. That being said, I would like to think we should be able to get more for $2 mil than Eustachy or Sutton. Isn't Doc a family friend of the Sutton's or something? That would have to be a little awkward I would think...

The NY Times published an article shortly before Southern Miss played Kansas State last week detailing Eustachy's "comeback" from alcoholism. Worth a read.

Coach Larry Eustachy Completes Long Road Back

You are correct about that article being worth reading....

From a different perspective about him being a candidate for Nebraska......or for Sutton either....................I wonder about recruiting connections to the heart of BIG 10 country. With the wealth of players from Ohio, Illininois, Indiana, etc. excelling in the tourney, it would seem important for us to have a candidate with recruiting connections in that region rather than in the south. Of course, players are players, but the heart of the conference geographically would seem to favor someone who knows/recruits the area like Groce.

I guess the thing I don't get about this particular search is the need to find someone who has ties to Nebraska. It's not like Nebraska is like some former great that has fallen on hard times. We've been bad FOREVER. What exactly would be so wrong about getting someone who has no ties to that? I mean, it was hysterical to read the writeup in the paper on Jeter and go "ok at least there isn't some obvious Nebraska tie that is a reason he's in the mix" and then read on to see that his uncle played football here. This isn't six degrees of Kevin Bacon. We can hire a dude who's oblivious to how bad we've been and still have success.

I agree...I hate how it seems like we are searching for someone that has to have ties to the university in some way. I don't believe in that at all. We need to look for the best possible coach for the situation and price. Even though they say money isn't an issue, we'll see about that. I just don't want to see us hire Altman because he is from NE and has been to the tournament a few times. We gotta go with a big name while we can. There are a lot of good coaches out there right now and if we don't get one, we'll be back in the same position we were with Doc....Six years of mediocre basketball. I am just concerned that I'm going to be disappointed with the hire if they base it on going after someone with NE roots.

1. Nebraska has reached out through a third party to see if there is interest from Colorado coach Tad Boyle, according to sources. Boyle would be a fool not to listen, but he should stay put as long as it’s not crazy money. CU should bump him up since in two seasons he has taken the Buffs to the NIT Final Four and on the doorstep to a bid, to the Pac-12 tournament title, and now to the third round of the NCAA tournament. CU is on the rise in the Pac-12 while Nebraska has a long road ahead in the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/55438/3-point-shot-will-boyle-head-to-nebraska

I still like Rick Majeras. He can coach and he has had success in different areas of the country and has taken at least two different schools to the dance. He is also out of this years tourney so we can talk to him. A proven winner. He can recruit and his players love him. Sounds perfect to me.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Majares is on the downhill slide of his coaching career, I see him sticking with Saint Louis for the rest of his career. Dont get me wrong I would love that hire, but I don't see him moving. Especially with the recent success his program has had.

Majares is on the downhill slide of his coaching career, I see him sticking with Saint Louis for the rest of his career. Dont get me wrong I would love that hire, but I don't see him moving. Especially with the recent success his program has had.

Yeah, we need somebody like the circa 1995 Rick Majerus--a coach on the upswing. The current Rick Majerus has too many years under his belt. And cheeseburgers.

Has there been any general timetable on this? How long do you guys think it will take for us to hire someone? We can't realisticly be pursuing a coach of a team that is still alive in the tourney besides Xavier's. Shaka would be an awesome hire but I don't think the interest is there on his part. I just really hope its not Altman. That would be really disappointing.

Not a Sutton fan. Boyle would be okay and towards the top of my blist.

My A-list

Dixon

Marshall

Groce

Smart

that's a good list however i dont believe any of these guys will be here next year...

Dixon-was hired by Boehm at Pitt, but that's not a reason to jump ship and rush to nebraska, pitt is much more prestigious

Marshall-looks like he will be headed to South Carolina, he has ties to SC

Groce-mostl likely staying at least one more year at Ohio because they have 4 or 5 returning starters

Smart-most likely headed to Illinios or staying put yet again

• Fire 1

Has there been any general timetable on this? How long do you guys think it will take for us to hire someone? We can't realisticly be pursuing a coach of a team that is still alive in the tourney besides Xavier's. Shaka would be an awesome hire but I don't think the interest is there on his part. I just really hope its not Altman. That would be really disappointing.

My guess is that Ohio loses this week and we'll have contacted all the coaches we wanted to interview. So I'd say another 10 days probably. We're actually using two different search firms in Atlanta so while the one firm has us meeting with 5 coaches the other firm has us meeting with another 5 or 6 at a different location or locations.

Not a Sutton fan. Boyle would be okay and towards the top of my blist.

My A-list

Dixon

Marshall

Groce

Smart

that's a good list however i dont believe any of these guys will be here next year...

Dixon-was hired by Boehm at Pitt, but that's not a reason to jump ship and rush to nebraska, pitt is much more prestigious

Marshall-looks like he will be headed to South Carolina, he has ties to SC

Groce-mostl likely staying at least one more year at Ohio because they have 4 or 5 returning starters

Smart-most likely headed to Illinios or staying put yet again

Twitter was on fire today with rumors of Frank Martin having "heavy interest" in South Carolina. He apparently really wanted that Miami job last year since he's from Florida. The thinking here is that he's not happy with KSU administration and wants to be closer to Florida. South Carolina would put him closer to home at least. This is all speculation of course so take it with a grain of salt until further notice.