OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Groce still seems to be the best fit in terms of all the criteria listed. If we can at least get him on campus for an interview, I'd bet the package would impress him.

I would love this hire. I don't think we have a chance. Smart turning down Illinois hurts, puts NU 2nd in B1G pecking order. I bet Groce will be pursued by Illinois quickly after Ohio exits the NCAA tourney.

I said Eustachy earlier in this thread and i still think he should and will end up being the hire!

get him here TO!!!

I'm ok with him before we go the plan B route. I would take him over Miles and Jeter. If we had a shot at a guy like Collins I'd put the two pretty close to even with a slight nudge to Collins because he doesn't have a little black cloud that the debbie downers who would focus on that cloud when the guy struggles the first couple of years. I'm afraid the same people that were pissed off and wanted to fire Doc aren't going to be any happier with anyone less than a Dixon or Groce or super star type.

One B Ball booster I know from Wisconsin who was very anti-Doc has now stated we might have made a mistake by letting Doc go. Their eyes have been opened a little bit about what we are up against trying to find a coach. What I do know is who ever we hire, this program is very badly in need of feeling like the whole state is behind them and not at odds over who should have got the job or still have the job.

• Fire 4

Groce still seems to be the best fit in terms of all the criteria listed. If we can at least get him on campus for an interview, I'd bet the package would impress him.

I would love this hire. I don't think we have a chance. Smart turning down Illinois hurts, puts NU 2nd in B1G pecking order. I bet Groce will be pursued by Illinois quickly after Ohio exits the NCAA tourney.

I've read somewhere recently that Illinois is pretty focused on landing a "minority" hire.............fwiw......

I said Eustachy earlier in this thread and i still think he should and will end up being the hire!

get him here TO!!!

I'm ok with him before we go the plan B route. I would take him over Miles and Jeter. If we had a shot at a guy like Collins I'd put the two pretty close to even with a slight nudge to Collins because he doesn't have a little black cloud that the debbie downers who would focus on that cloud when the guy struggles the first couple of years. I'm afraid the same people that were pissed off and wanted to fire Doc aren't going to be any happier with anyone less than a Dixon or Groce or super star type.

One B Ball booster I know from Wisconsin who was very anti-Doc has now stated we might have made a mistake by letting Doc go. Their eyes have been opened a little bit about what we are up against trying to find a coach. What I do know is who ever we hire, this program is very badly in need of feeling like the whole state is behind them and not at odds over who should have got the job or still have the job.

Totally agree with this sentiment.....

I'm still pushing for Groce, but would have no problem with Eustachy....

I've read somewhere recently that Illinois is pretty focused on landing a "minority" hire.............fwiw......

And add to the fact they stated hes not even in their top 6. They don't expect to interview him as they probably won't get past 2 or 3. I hope one day we have the ability to do that.

Didn't see this mentioned this morning, but Andy Katz mentioned Nebraska in his three-point play? Or whatever the column is called. Said the top 3 were Dana Altman, John Groce, and Tim Miles. Katz also reported later that a source indicated Dana Altman would be staying put. Also had reportedly told admin and Phil Knight about his decision.

At this point, I'd be fine with any of them. Give them time, see what they can build.

Didn't see this mentioned this morning, but Andy Katz mentioned Nebraska in his three-point play? Or whatever the column is called. Said the top 3 were Dana Altman, John Groce, and Tim Miles. Katz also reported later that a source indicated Dana Altman would be staying put. Also had reportedly told admin and Phil Knight about his decision.

At this point, I'd be fine with any of them. Give them time, see what they can build.

Feather in my cap. :D I gave him that source. Also At least he's not afraid to write something as opinion or as a chance, then go back and state he's found out otherwise. He didn't even have to accuse anyone of lying.

I wonder if some candidates are reluctant of the job because they know T.O. will retire in a year or two? I know that's pretty important for some, if not, most coaches in the college ranks. Afterall, the AD is their boss and having the one that hired you stick around for as long as you're around makes the workplace a bit more comfortable rather than the alternative.

• Fire 1

I wonder if some candidates are reluctant of the job because they know T.O. will retire in a year or two? I know that's pretty important for some, if not, most coaches in the college ranks. Afterall, the AD is their boss and having the one that hired you stick around for as long as you're around makes the workplace a bit more comfortable rather than the alternative.

I think thats a really big deal and something I've said in the past as well. I think the only way that is combated a little is to give someone a clause with big $$ should they be fired. That or NU needs to lock TO in for 5 years which is something I don't think he wants to do. All indications are he will step away after the 2012-1213 school year.

I think thats a really big deal and something I've said in the past as well. I think the only way that is combated a little is to give someone a clause with big $$ should they be fired. That or NU needs to lock TO in for 5 years which is something I don't think he wants to do. All indications are he will step away after the 2012-1213 school year.

Agreed on the clause. The new coach would be crazy not to add on such stipulations.

If I had to guess, I'd say T.O. retires in the spring/summer of 2014. This means he will have overseen the completion of construction projects at Memorial Stadium and Pinnacle Bank Arena. It appears those were his main priorities that kept him around in addition to the Devaney, Hendricks, Haymarket Park upgrades.

By BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:00 pm

<snip>

That list includes Ohio coach John Groce, whose Bobcats play North Carolina on Friday night in the Midwest Region semifinals of the NCAA Tournament. Groce, in his fourth season at Ohio, has led the Bobcats to a school-record 29 victories. He's 85-55 at Ohio, with three straight postseason appearances, including two NCAA Tournament trips.

Other names to watch over the coming days include Colorado State coach Tim Miles, Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton and Wisconsin-Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter.

LINK

Article by Rosenthal. Pretty much all the same names being discussed in this thread.

Now that's a good article, much better than the one in the owh.

FWIW, Danny Nee did a radio interview today with 93.7 The Ticket discussing the challenges of the Nebraska coaching job. He really likes the idea of Scott Sutton leading Nebraska but also had good things to say about both John Groce (but doesn't think we have a shot at him) and Rob Jeter. The podcast was a good listen if you're curious to hear his thoughts as well as some reminiscing on his 1996 NIT championship team.

FWIW, Danny Nee did a radio interview today with 93.7 The Ticket discussing the challenges of the Nebraska coaching job. He really likes the idea of Scott Sutton leading Nebraska but also had good things to say about both John Groce (but doesn't think we have a shot at him) and Rob Jeter. The podcast was a good listen if you're curious to hear his thoughts as well as some reminiscing on his 1996 NIT championship team.

The glory years, back when NIT births were the norm... Yeah... ( relaxed voice like a blues singer)

All that interview did for me, is want him back. He made some great points.