OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

If the Groce thing is true, then the Nebraska basketball program is in a truly awful state. MAC coaches are turning us down? REALLY? This athletic department needs a change in leadership and wholesale changes in staffing in the worst way.

Miles is a nice story...this year, but if you look at his career in whole, he's the Doc Sadler of Colorado Springs. He basically got this job, because the NCAA Tournament selection committee decided a 3rd MWC team was a slightly better choice than a 2nd Pac-12 school

And as for "if they don't want to come here, then they just don't have vision" guy? I suppose you also thought every girl who turned you down for a date was a lesbian. The fact of the matter is, it is incredibly concerning that a dude who had enough vision to build a winner at Ohio has zero interest in this school. It's incredibly concerning that so many high caliber coaches have no interest in us at all. It's BEYOND concerning that this dude's assistant isn't even all that excited about Nebraska.

If the Groce thing is true, then the Nebraska basketball program is in a truly awful state. MAC coaches are turning us down? REALLY? This athletic department needs a change in leadership and wholesale changes in staffing in the worst way.

Miles is a nice story...this year, but if you look at his career in whole, he's the Doc Sadler of Colorado Springs. He basically got this job, because the NCAA Tournament selection committee decided a 3rd MWC team was a slightly better choice than a 2nd Pac-12 school

And as for "if they don't want to come here, then they just don't have vision" guy? I suppose you also thought every girl who turned you down for a date was a lesbian. The fact of the matter is, it is incredibly concerning that a dude who had enough vision to build a winner at Ohio has zero interest in this school. It's incredibly concerning that so many high caliber coaches have no interest in us at all. It's BEYOND concerning that this dude's assistant isn't even all that excited about Nebraska.

So does that equate to an equally poor state of the Illinois program when a CAA coach is turning them down? :rolleyes:

Some twitter chatter today saying Illinois is in hot pursuit of Brad Stevens and that there might be a chance.

Sigh. I knew we were on a different level than Illinois before......but they're going to get a guy who has back to back final four appearances to his name. We're getting a guy who's never won a conference tournament.

So does that equate to an equally poor state of the Illinois program when a CAA coach is turning them down? :rolleyes:

Not if their second choice is a dude who was in the National Championship game last year.

Some twitter chatter today saying Illinois is in hot pursuit of Brad Stevens and that there might be a chance.

Sigh. I knew we were on a different level than Illinois before......but they're going to get a guy who has back to back final four appearances to his name. We're getting a guy who's never won a conference tournament.

Illinois also made a National Championship apperance a couple of years ago, is in a basketball recruiting hot bed, and has more tradition than our basketball program. We are not going to get a coach like Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, or anyone like that right now. We have to accept that our basketball program is some kind of a joke on the national scene. But it doesn't have to be that way, a guy like Tim Miles can help turn us around. He has won at every program he has been at, give him a chance.

I do like this hire alot, he is very media saavy and has been loved by every community he has coached in. Good job TO.

Hooray! Media saavy! That will win us a ton of games!!!!

Would you rather have some douche bag sit in front of the press and piss them off, and not be liked by everyone? Media can make or break a coach, its the sad truth. Why don't you settle down and realize we are not going to get a "big name" coach.

If it's true Groce has a detailed career path already mapped out and we were not part of it, that speaks to him and not us

Can't argue with that

Not having a vision means that not everyone has the sack to take the risk that is perceived to be Nebraska. IF someone doesn't see the incredible potential, it may mean they wouldn't be a good fit.

(and not everyone who turned me down was a lesbian, some were just smart)

Illinois also made a National Championship apperance a couple of years ago, is in a basketball recruiting hot bed, and has more tradition than our basketball program. We are not going to get a coach like Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, or anyone like that right now. We have to accept that our basketball program is some kind of a joke on the national scene. But it doesn't have to be that way, a guy like Tim Miles can help turn us around. He has won at every program he has been at, give him a chance.

Like I said, I knew we weren't on Illinois' level, it's just depressing to be reminded of it. I'll give Miles every chance, doesn't mean I'm going to get excited and pretend like this is "of course" the best hire simply because Tom made it. Tom's decisions when it comes to hiring people has left me skeptical in general, I was hoping he could turn that around with this one. Instead he underlined it. I'll be rooting for Miles. I'll be happier if this stud recruiting assistant can be "persuaded" to come.

I do like this hire alot, he is very media saavy and has been loved by every community he has coached in. Good job TO.

Hooray! Media saavy! That will win us a ton of games!!!!

Would you rather have some douche bag sit in front of the press and piss them off, and not be liked by everyone? Media can make or break a coach, its the sad truth. Why don't you settle down and realize we are not going to get a "big name" coach.

I'd rather hire someone who has good enough credentials that "media saavy" isn't one of the best things you can say about him. Doc Sadler was LOVED by the media. It didn't help us in the least.

I don't think Groce it was a matter of him not thinking he could do it here but thinking a different girl looked prettier. I think he was ok going to the prom with the fat chick until their was a chance for him to take a cheerleader. I can't blame a guy.

After digging for a bit, I'm MORE than okay with this. I'm excited! I liked the video shown earlier regarding their first MWC game of the season. Team's record against ranked opponents really kind of wowed me. What he did at NDSU his last two years, beating ranked teams in both years with a transitioning school in its second and third years of DI competition... I think this guy is the type of turnaround person we need right now for this program. Poo-poo the decision all you want, but if he impressed Tom, that's good enough for me at this point. I have faith in Tom and his decisionmaking, even if we have a few naysayers here. I'll be happy to hear the presser on Saturday, if this is indeed what happens.

You act surprised.