Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

http://miami.cbsloca...immerman-trial/

Initially, police didn’t arrest Zimmerman as he asserted self-defense under the state’s Stand Your Ground law. While his attorneys never filed an official Stand Your Ground motion in the case, the claim would become Zimmerman’s central defense.

Last year, state Senator Dwight Bullard , D-39th District, led the charge against the Stand Your Ground law which the state’s legislature passed in 2005. While some say the law did not play a part in the trial, on CBS4′s “Facing South Florida” Bullard told Jim DeFede he disagrees.

“The reality is that from the very first steps taken by police in Sanford, in their inability to put Mr. Zimmerman in prison, it had everything to do with blow back from the Stand Your Ground law,” said Bullard. “When you look at the prosecution’s inability to give rules to the jurors in regards to did Zimmerman retreat or could he have retreated, it had everything to do with that statute.”

From your article:

“I think it is important to note that the media sensationalized this entire tragedy to be an anti-gun movement,” said state Rep. Carlos Trujillo, R-105th District. “At no point did the defense file a Stand Your Ground motion. At no point was it brought up to the jury as a defense. At no point did it play a role in this episode.

“I think George Zimmerman was a vigilante. As for the verdict, I think justice was served through the justice system. He had his day in court. Six people came together and decided he was not guilty,” said Trujillo. “I personally disagree to some extent with the verdict, but I respect it.”

So, like I said, not SYG.

This guy gets it and he's black.

"Well Mr. Obama if you had a son, would he also act like Trayvon?" around the 7:50 mark of this video

Said by a guy standing in front of an "Obama, show us your birth certificate" sign. Classic.

I know makes the video that much better

• Fire 1

"Well Mr. Obama if you had a son, would he also act like Trayvon?" around the 7:50 mark of this video

Said by a guy standing in front of an "Obama, show us your birth certificate" sign. Classic.

Spoke to soon. Never let a tragedy go to waste.

Obama speaks

Statement in full:

The full statement is as follows:

The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy. Not just for his family, or for any one community, but for America. I know this case has elicited strong passions. And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher. But we are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken. I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son. And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities. We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. As citizens, that’s a job for all of us. That’s the way to honor Trayvon Martin.

http://miami.cbsloca...immerman-trial/

Initially, police didn’t arrest Zimmerman as he asserted self-defense under the state’s Stand Your Ground law. While his attorneys never filed an official Stand Your Ground motion in the case, the claim would become Zimmerman’s central defense.

Last year, state Senator Dwight Bullard , D-39th District, led the charge against the Stand Your Ground law which the state’s legislature passed in 2005. While some say the law did not play a part in the trial, on CBS4′s “Facing South Florida” Bullard told Jim DeFede he disagrees.

“The reality is that from the very first steps taken by police in Sanford, in their inability to put Mr. Zimmerman in prison, it had everything to do with blow back from the Stand Your Ground law,” said Bullard. “When you look at the prosecution’s inability to give rules to the jurors in regards to did Zimmerman retreat or could he have retreated, it had everything to do with that statute.”

From your article:

“I think it is important to note that the media sensationalized this entire tragedy to be an anti-gun movement,” said state Rep. Carlos Trujillo, R-105th District. “At no point did the defense file a Stand Your Ground motion. At no point was it brought up to the jury as a defense. At no point did it play a role in this episode.

“I think George Zimmerman was a vigilante. As for the verdict, I think justice was served through the justice system. He had his day in court. Six people came together and decided he was not guilty,” said Trujillo. “I personally disagree to some extent with the verdict, but I respect it.”

So, like I said, not SYG.

He claimed self defense and stand your ground at the outset of the investigation, which (incorrectly) altered the way the police officers did their investigation. While no formal stand your ground motion was made, the law stood at the forefront of the case.

Spoke to soon. Never let a tragedy go to waste.

Obama speaks

Statement in full:

The full statement is as follows:

The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy. Not just for his family, or for any one community, but for America. I know this case has elicited strong passions. And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher. But we are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken. I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son. And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities. We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. As citizens, that’s a job for all of us. That’s the way to honor Trayvon Martin.

So wait, first you complain that he didn't make a statement, then when it turned out that he did make a statement, he would "never let a tragedy go to waste". So which is it?

• Fire 1

So wait, first you complain that he didn't make a statement, then when it turned out that he did make a statement, he would "never let a tragedy go to waste". So which is it?

Why, both, of course. The only consistency that matters is that Obama is always, without exception, wrong. :P

• Fire 1

but to say Zimmerman got off because he killed a black kit is completely idiotic.

The last 200 or so years of American history notwithstanding. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's 2013. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but who is fueling it at this point? Everyone can stop playing the race card. I would be curious to see the reaction of black Americans if social media was around during the whole O.J. thing.... Would their disappointment, and rage be so strong?

• Fire 2

Leave it to Obama to turn Trayvon's case into another "gun violence" speech.

Maybe he needs to go clean up Chicago and DC first where guns laws are so restrictive only criminals have one and explain why those 2 cities have a very high crime rate.

And DC is directly run by the Federal Gov't

I guess I don't get the notion that justice was not served in this case. Sure it's a tragedy that a young man is dead and anothers life has been forever changed but the system worked as well as it could in this situation.

Initially authorities did not want to pursue charges. Now we know why; they had no evidence. This case was pushed upon us by the media and other groups who had even less information than the authorities. The only thing these groups had to offer was an agenda and it had little to do with what really happened. Well guess what, Zimmerman was tried and found not guilty. Unless you were there when it happened and have chosen to conceal information that would show Zimmerman's guilt, you look pretty silly still carrying on about how this verdict is wrong or not fair.

• Fire 1

Leave it to Obama to turn Trayvon's case into another "gun violence" speech.

Maybe he needs to go clean up Chicago and DC first where guns laws are so restrictive only criminals have one and explain why those 2 cities have a very high crime rate.

For the 100000th time:

Chicago is seen as having some of the most restrictive gun ordinances in the country. Gun shops are banned, and no civilian gun ranges exist. There is a ban on both assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. But more than 15,000 of the guns traced by the police came from just outside the city limits in Cook County and in neighboring towns that permit gun stores.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/29/us/where-50000-guns-in-chicago-came-from.html?ref=us

Local gun laws don't matter. So you can't buy a gun in Cook county, you can in the neighboring county and there clearly isn't a regulated border between the two. It isn't hard to imagine buying a gun outside of and driving it into Cook county.