Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

Leave it to Obama to turn Trayvon's case into another "gun violence" speech.

Without guns, this is an assault case.

Says who? This could have also been a murder case on Trayvon Martin, had Zimmerman not had a gun on him.I guess that would have been better, since it wasn't a black young kid being killed, rather it be an older Mexican guy though right? Had it been that way, we would have never heard of it. I guess I don't understand your point... your assuming it would be an assault case.

• Fire 1

Says who? This could have also been a murder case on Trayvon Martin, had Zimmerman not had a gun on him.I guess that would have been better, since it wasn't a black young kid being killed, rather it be an older Mexican guy though right? Had it been that way, we would have never heard of it. I guess I don't understand your point... your assuming it would be an assault case.

It's possible, but seems unlikely that a 17 year old would kill a grown man with his bare hands before someone could stop them.

It's possible, but seems unlikely that a 17 year old would kill a grown man with his bare hands before someone could stop them.

You'd be surprised...

my son at 17 was 6'3, 235lbs, and pretty strong...

Would you want to tangle with that? I sure as hell wouldn't...

A 17 year old kid sure in the hell did some damage to a grown man with his bare hands before he got shot. If someone would have went outside to Zimmerman screaming for help and got Martin off of him, then no one would have been dead.

Landlord, to say that there would have been no death with no gun, is nowhere near accurate. Zimmerman's head was being beat into the concrete. Head trauma and clots could easily be caused. Actually, if I remember right, there were more deaths last year by assaults than there were by assault weapons. I am not saying Martin would have killed him, but all it would have taken was one good hit with his head bouncing off that concrete to do it.

Yeah, it's 2013. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but who is fueling it at this point? Everyone can stop playing the race card. I would be curious to see the reaction of black Americans if social media was around during the whole O.J. thing.... Would their disappointment, and rage be so strong?

I get the annoyance with "the race card" but let's not pretend for a second that 2013 means racism in America is dead. And foisting racism off on those "playing the race card" minimizes a real problem. I know there are those who profit off that kind of thing but they pale in comparison to the very real racism problem this country faces.

• Fire 1

Yeah, it's 2013. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but who is fueling it at this point? Everyone can stop playing the race card. I would be curious to see the reaction of black Americans if social media was around during the whole O.J. thing.... Would their disappointment, and rage be so strong?

I get the annoyance with "the race card" but let's not pretend for a second that 2013 means racism in America is dead. And foisting racism off on those "playing the race card" minimizes a real problem. I know there are those who profit off that kind of thing but they pale in comparison to the very real racism problem this country faces.

Race issues will always be there as long as we keep segregating ourselves. We do it in sports, tv, media, basically everywhere.

Race issues will always be there as long as we keep segregating ourselves. We do it in sports, tv, media, basically everywhere.

I see too much of the race card where I am, and the very few times it's been played on me, usually ends with the whole, "I'm american indian, I was here first, so shut the f*ck up"

The Embarrassment Of The George Zimmerman Verdict

The result of a verdict today in a criminal trial is that everyone with a twitter or Facebook account gets to let the world know how ignorant they are of the criminal justice system. I know, First Amendment. But your ignorance shows again when you mention that. The First Amendment protects you from the government, it doesn't protect you on twitter or Facebook from people calling you out for your ignorance.

good article about the media's incompetence.

also, i am pretty impressed with all the poster so far. i was afraid to look at this thread after the verdict came out, but everyone seems pretty level headed and a lot of good opinions in here.

edit: apparently, cnn just revealed zimmerman's ssn. that is some operation they have over there.

Landlord, to say that there would have been no death with no gun, is nowhere near accurate. Zimmerman's head was being beat into the concrete. Head trauma and clots could easily be caused. Actually, if I remember right, there were more deaths last year by assaults than there were by assault weapons. I am not saying Martin would have killed him, but all it would have taken was one good hit with his head bouncing off that concrete to do it.

Without the gun, Zimmerman would not have the confidence of security to go after this kid, prompting an aggressive reaction.

Conjecture? Sure. All this is to say, it was his actions that caused this to happen the way it did. And a human life is gone because of it.

Agreed. But having it brought up immediately after any incident whether or not its valid makes it worse instead of better.

I've only really followed this case the past 48 hours. I could be way off on this so correct me if I'm wrong:

The only things they can prove that are relevant to the charges:

1) Martin was over him and was beating his head into the ground

2) Neighbors heard screams for help

3) Zimmerman shot and killed Martin with a gun he had every right to carry

I really don't think they proved much more than the above that are relevant to murder or manslaughter charges. In my opinion, there was flat out not enough evidence to send this man to prison. This falls under "Reasonable Doubt."

Seriously though, I could be wrong, if I am off I would certainly appreciate a reply.