OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

My final thoughts on this hire. Let's fastforward to next season. With what Miles would have had coming back next year at CSU, a very good season and potential for a decent seed and possible win in the Dance was VERY probable. Then guess what, he is this years Groce/Shaka/Stevens. The mid-major college hot head coach flavor of the month. I think, and TO even eluded to this thought, that it probably would have happened. The thought that NU got a "hot" mid-major coach a year early is very plausible IMHO.

Don't believe I said we would be going after 1 and done kids. Said we would have access 2 some of the other kids in these highschools. But you bring up a excellent point. Wouldnt you want to model your basketball program after a Duke or North Carolina? Those schools do it the right way.

Absolutely, although Duke has had some one and doners lately. Good post YTW.

T_O_B

G>B>R

My final thoughts on this hire. Let's fastforward to next season. With what Miles would have had coming back next year at CSU, a very good season and potential for a decent seed and possible win in the Dance was VERY probable. Then guess what, he is this years Groce/Shaka/Stevens. The mid-major college hot head coach flavor of the month. I think, and TO even eluded to this thought, that it probably would have happened. The thought that NU got a "hot" mid-major coach a year early is very plausible IMHO.

Totally agree PC and it also says good things about Tim Miles. He obviously thinks he can do good things here. Its also close to where he grew and the areas he has coached in the past. Great hire.

Now we can wait for HuskerHacker to come in and tell us how wrong we are. Just imagine my eyes rolling up and me saying, "What an idiot."

T_O_B

G>B>R

In my opinion this is a very good hire. Let's face it, NU is not known for basketball and we were never going to get a top tier coach nor were we looking to hire one. I have seen Miles take a CSU team and light a fire under their hind quarters and get them going. This is a very good hire if he can get some players to buy into his game plan. I've watched Miles coach for a while now because he's always coming to town to play my second alma mater UNLV. I for one like this hire.

This may be the "best" argument for hiring a guy like Miles. Very nice job PC... I think you are right on the mark with the rationale for the hiring.

Nebraska's hire of Tim Miles just opened the doors to recruiting in the Twin Cities and the entire state of Minnesota. Until Nebraska joined the B1G, Nebraska basketball was unheard of in Minnesota. Even with Nebraska in the conference, the Huskers were not competitive for Minnesota talent (some wags would say the same about the Gophers). But, Tim Miles became a well-known name in the Twin Cities starting with his coaching days at North Dakota State and continuing to his tenure at Colorado State. KFAN, the popular sports-talk radio station in the Twin Cities, routinely called Miles -- always good for a quote and a funny quip. When Nebraska announced it had hired Miles, the Twin Cities media picked up the story.

When big man Colton Iverson (Yankton, SD) announced he was leaving the Gophers after his junior year (2010-11), he went to Colorado State so that he could play his last year under Miles. Miles had tried to get Iverson to NDSU and nearly succeeded but Iverson elected to go to the bigger program at Minnesota. (Iverson sat out this year but will play for CSU next season.)

Miles is a very good coach but he's a better recruiter. The dads and moms of top recruits love the guy. He'll be in the running for every good recruit in the region -- something Nebraska has not been able to say in years.

Good luck to Nebraska -- I think the Miles hire will prove to be a great one.

Nebraska's hire of Tim Miles just opened the doors to recruiting in the Twin Cities and the entire state of Minnesota. Until Nebraska joined the B1G, Nebraska basketball was unheard of in Minnesota. Even with Nebraska in the conference, the Huskers were not competitive for Minnesota talent (some wags would say the same about the Gophers). But, Tim Miles became a well-known name in the Twin Cities starting with his coaching days at North Dakota State and continuing to his tenure at Colorado State. KFAN, the popular sports-talk radio station in the Twin Cities, routinely called Miles -- always good for a quote and a funny quip. When Nebraska announced it had hired Miles, the Twin Cities media picked up the story.

When big man Colton Iverson (Yankton, SD) announced he was leaving the Gophers after his junior year (2010-11), he went to Colorado State so that he could play his last year under Miles. Miles had tried to get Iverson to NDSU and nearly succeeded but Iverson elected to go to the bigger program at Minnesota. (Iverson sat out this year but will play for CSU next season.)

Miles is a very good coach but he's a better recruiter. The dads and moms of top recruits love the guy. He'll be in the running for every good recruit in the region -- something Nebraska has not been able to say in years.

You left out the fact that he also coached at South West Minnesota State.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Very interesting perspective from outside the (state) lines........

T_O_B

G>B>R

You're right to point out Tim coached at Southwest Minnesota State -- another example of taking a program that was down on its luck and turning it into a winner. I thought that Tim "arrived" and was discovered by the Twin Cities media at his job after SW MN State: NDSU. There he recruited Ben Woodside, an Albert Lea, MN kid, who was totally overlooked by the U of MN. The radio jockeys quickly learned they couldn't find a better interview than Tim Miles and Tim's name is routinely mentioned whenever people start griping about Gopher basketball.

Minnesota has some very good basketball talent and they've been pretty easy to entice to schools outside Minnesota. With Miles at the helm, Nebraska will have a good shot at those players.

T_O_B

G>B>R

You're right to point out Tim coached at Southwest Minnesota State -- another example of taking a program that was down on its luck and turning it into a winner. I thought that Tim "arrived" and was discovered by the Twin Cities media at his job after SW MN State: NDSU. There he recruited Ben Woodside, an Albert Lea, MN kid, who was totally overlooked by the U of MN. The radio jockeys quickly learned they couldn't find a better interview than Tim Miles and Tim's name is routinely mentioned whenever people start griping about Gopher basketball.

Minnesota has some very good basketball talent and they've been pretty easy to entice to schools outside Minnesota. With Miles at the helm, Nebraska will have a good shot at those players.

I like this hire more and more.

I've been kind of surprised that Tubby Smith hasn't done better at the U of M.

T_O_B

Wow. Danny Manning was available. Glad we pulled the trigger so soon. We'll never even know if he was contacted.

Never been a head coach. Didn't T.O. state that was a priority? We'll have to wait and see if Manning can do it on his own.

As for me, I am happy with Miles.