Nebraska Alternative (aka Sacrilegious) Uniform Slamma Ramma Extravaganza 2012

Brian Christopherson getting to the bottom of this alternate uniform thing with Kyler Reed at Big Ten Media days:

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Back to alternate uniforms. Kyler Reed: "I don't want to be too crazy....."

"I don't think we need to go too far out," Reed said. "I think that's what Tom told adidas guys." #Huskers

"Word is (adidas) gave us a prototype and (Tom) didn't like it, it was too extravagant," Reed said.

I would expect a story or blog post from BC on this soon.

Goodness, this is getting ridiculous. Go radical with the design as long as it looks good. There is no point in creating an alternate that is not much different from what we already wear.

seriously! that quote pissed me off because i bet the prototype wasn't near what some of these teams are doing, and it still got shot down. When they announce and show the uni's for whichever game, i have a feeling a lot of husker nation will have a blank stare with their WTF faces on. It will most likely look very identical. But we're Nebraska and have a tradition so we don't want to mess that up. Because if you change your uniforms then you ruin what you are all about, right? ;)

As promised, here's Christopherson's blog post about the uniforms:

Huskers talk alternate uniforms in Chicago

Senior tight end Kyler Reed hasn't seen Nebraska's alternate uniforms. But the "rumor" among Husker players is the new-look unis will be worn for the Wisconsin game, he said.

"Word is, (adidas) gave us a prototype and (Tom Osborne) didn't like it; it was too extravagant," Reed said.

He said a lot of players are hoping for black to be a prominent color.

"I don't want to be too crazy," he said. "I don't think we need to go too far out."

As promised, here's Christopherson's blog post about the uniforms:

Huskers talk alternate uniforms in Chicago

Senior tight end Kyler Reed hasn't seen Nebraska's alternate uniforms. But the "rumor" among Husker players is the new-look unis will be worn for the Wisconsin game, he said.

"Word is, (adidas) gave us a prototype and (Tom Osborne) didn't like it; it was too extravagant," Reed said.

He said a lot of players are hoping for black to be a prominent color.

"I don't want to be too crazy," he said. "I don't think we need to go too far out."

this is only adding to the intrigue. do you think we will ever see the 'too extravagant' ones? not on the field, but just the prototype?

This is not new information it was discussed that Tom didnt like the first prototype right after it came out we would wear one for a game, and how he didnt want changes to the helmet. But in the last statement I read it said that there was changes to the helmet but they wouldnt say what. Also when Tom was asked if there was Black in the uniform he said I suppose.I know he is a tricky SOB but can someone just tell us when they will reveal them that way we know when to check this page again.

This is not new information it was discussed that Tom didnt like the first prototype right after it came out we would wear one for a game, and how he didnt want changes to the helmet. But in the last statement I read it said that there was changes to the helmet but they wouldnt say what. Also when Tom was asked if there was Black in the uniform he said I suppose.I know he is a tricky SOB but can someone just tell us when they will reveal them that way we know when to check this page again.

Wisconsin game.

Goodness, this is getting ridiculous. Go radical with the design as long as it looks good. There is no point in creating an alternate that is not much different from what we already wear.

Alabama, LSU, Florida Pro Combat say hi

• Fire 1

Are you serious? The only one you have an argument for is Alabama. And I don't even know what you are arguing? Cool, they did it? Remind me when we changed out school to Alabama. If I was an Alabama fan, and a bunch of hoopla was raised for that to come out on the field, I would be incredibly disappointed.

Are you serious? The only one you have an argument for is Alabama. And I don't even know what you are arguing? Cool, they did it? Remind me when we changed out school to Alabama. If I was an Alabama fan, and a bunch of hoopla was raised for that to come out on the field, I would be incredibly disappointed.

Wow, u got some sand where it don't belong today? Those schools are tradition-rich programs that successfully wore a pretty cool alternate that was different yet didn't throw tradition out the window. It was well done. There's no need to need to bust out some black-and-chrome diamond-plate striped jerseys.

Wow, u got some sand where it don't belong today? Those schools are tradition-rich programs that successfully wore a pretty cool alternate that was different yet didn't throw tradition out the window. It was well done. There's no need to need to bust out some black-and-chrome diamond-plate striped jerseys.

Do you see anyone here calling for jerseys like that? Who is asking for tradition to be thrown out the window? You're putting words in the mouths of others. What I don't want is the AD keeping this big secret from us, then reveal an "alternate" that removes the shoulder stripes and puts a flag on the jersey. If thats the case, then keep the original, otherwise, what good is an alternate jersey?

What do you want from the alternate? I want something different that still celebrates our tradition. Nothing "radical" ...but something distinctly different, yes. I don't want to be blown away or shocked. I simply want to be able to say, wow, those are cool and interesting. Nice look. Modest is best in my opinion. If we were someone like Kansas State or Indiana or Oregon State or something, then sure, go radical. But I think it's best to keep it fairly modest, especially with them likely being worn in a primetime game against a big opponent.

Do you see anyone here calling for jerseys like that? Who is asking for tradition to be thrown out the window? You're putting words in the mouths of others. What I don't want is the AD keeping this big secret from us, then reveal an "alternate" that removes the shoulder stripes and puts a flag on the jersey. If thats the case, then keep the original, otherwise, what good is an alternate jersey?

It creates a buzz and gives the players a little extra motivation for whatever game they are for.

It creates a buzz and gives the players a little extra motivation for whatever game they are for.

exactly, it is about the players. frankly, we need to do this for recruits; it creates buzz and makes us seem more exciting (a perception we need a bit of help with). the fans may love it or hate it (i am excited for it) but it should be for the players, present and future. every other game they were uniforms for the past players, allow one for them.

exactly, it is about the players. frankly, we need to do this for recruits; it creates buzz and makes us seem more exciting (a perception we need a bit of help with). the fans may love it or hate it (i am excited for it) but it should be for the players, present and future. every other game they were uniforms for the past players, allow one for them.

I've always pretty much ignored uniform discussions because I just want them to play football, but listening to some of these pressers today, these guys were excited about their new uniforms. One of the Northwestern players especially was happy about them.

If it gets the kids excited, that's a small price to pay. Let's do an alternate once a year.