Ugh...so this weekend, I just had to explain death to a four year old because the family dog, 'Husker', passed on. The wife and daughter are taking this death especially hard, and I thought about trying to arrange a discussion with the local Catholic priest (as my wife is Catholic) to see if it would help her out with her grief. But then I read (and remembered) that the Catholic church does not believe that animals have souls, so having a Catholic Priest come over to discuss the grief over losing an animal that the Church doesn't consider to have a soul is probably not the best thing.

So I ask you, dear HuskerBoard readers, do you believe that animals have souls? And if you've had to explain death to a little one, how did you approach the topic?

This is also presuming that we believe everybody has a soul in the first place. I think we have some kind of soul or connection to the universe, for example.

My belief is that certain sets of circumstances fell into place allowing humanity to become what it is today. I don't believe that humanity is some gift to the universe and that we're special. I value a human life over other life on the planet, but that's because we have the most advanced brains and neurological functions. But, that doesn't mean I don't think animals aren't similar to us. The only real difference is that we evolved to a much more advanced state, and they never did.

My 2 cents is that I don't think animals have souls but, I'm not sure that really has anything to do with understanding or the grieving process when a beloved family pet dies. As far as explaining it to young children, I see no problem with trying to help them deal with it by telling them that they have gone on to doggie heaven or whatever. The idea of heaven provides a lot of help for most humans dealing with loss so I see no reason to make it any harder than it has to be for children. It's tough but I'm sure your wife and daughter will come to terms with it in a reasonable amount of time. I would never consider discussing a pet loss with a Priest or clergy but that's maybe just me.

FYI- We used to have a dog named "Husker" also. He was a Golden Retriever but I think his line was too inbred because he was not a smart dog which is sort of strange for that breed. We had to find him a new home with a farm family because we just couldn't deal with his learning deficiency and hyperactivity.

My wife and I both believe that there's no such thing as a soul for any animals, humans included. Our kids are both under 3 and luckily the topic hasn't really presented itself yet, but our approach is that when things die, they're gone forever and we'll never experience those consciousnesses that we knew as "grandpa" or "cousin Joey" or "Rover" ever again except in our memories. Life is fleeting, and we have to make the most of the time we have. Given how exceedingly rare complex life is likely to be within our universe, we must treat our opportunity to live as the unique treasure that it is because when it's gone, it's gone.

• Fire 2

My wife and I both believe that there's no such thing as a soul for any animals, humans included. Our kids are both under 3 and luckily the topic hasn't really presented itself yet, but our approach is that when things die, they're gone forever and we'll never experience those consciousnesses that we knew as "grandpa" or "cousin Joey" or "Rover" ever again except in our memories. Life is fleeting, and we have to make the most of the time we have. Given how exceedingly rare complex life is likely to be within our universe, we must treat our opportunity to live as the unique treasure that it is because when it's gone, it's gone.

Well that's a pretty depressing way of looking at things. So when you die, things just go dark?... Just wondering.

In response to the original question, I have no idea. We will all find out someday.

I don't believe souls exist whether it be humans, dogs, or any other kind of animal.

I don't necessarily think it's wrong to tell kids little white lies about "grandma being in a better place", or in this case "Husker being in a better place".

It's not the way I've gone about it with my son, though. He's an absurdly smart kid, I believe kids are generally a lot smarter than we think, and I find it best to just be honest no matter how uncomfortable it is. He's only four and I've already had uncomfortable conversations with him about death, birth, and certain body parts. I'm not going to fill his head with lies and half-truths if he's genuinely curious.