Bo mentioned for Arky Job...

It was reported last Sunday that the first person they reached out to was Butch Davis and he said he was very interested. I'm not sure they can afford to risk a Butch Davis hire since all the crap that happed at the last stop but at the same time he's more or less stayed at arms length of the NCAA problems. Its probably a pretty likely choice since they need someone who's willing to look the other way when the boosters pay the players. That why Chizik is at Auburn. I don't think Gus is their guy. If they don't look at Davis I think they have a fill in for a year. This AD was willing to take a questionable hire 4 years ago and I think he'd probably do it again.

If they hold off that could give them time for someone like Jim Tressel to appeal the NCAA on the show cause and get it reduced to a few years or at least give them better options as a coach. Anyone coming in now is really behind the 8 ball as far as installing new offenses or defenses and the fall just isn't enough time anymore to do that. Its done in the spring. And the fans will expect almost zero drop off if its a bigger name coach. It would be hard to transition. Plus you're going to get a pretty big black eye dumping your current team at this point as the acceptable time frame in the profession is right after season is over.

Personally I don't think its even a place Bo would consider. Its really a bad fit for him.

Very much a lateral move, imo.

Very much a lateral move, imo.

It seems to me that, historically speaking --- looking at the history of the programs --- a move from NU to Ark would be a move down. Looking at the current situation --- which, I suppose, is the meaningful one --- a move from NU to Ark would be a slight move up. Both are mid-conference level programs (NU being 4/5 in the Big 10 and Ark 4/5 typically in the SEC). But... Ark is in the SEC and the recruiting grounds are much more fertile there. As for potential to move up from mid-conference level to conference elite --- here the assent for NU in the B1G seems more likely than an Ark assent in the SEC. So....

I think you are right... it would be a lateral move.