I serve an amazing God

I've been a member here for a number of years, but don't post much (but read a lot), I thought I would share this story that happened to me about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Sorry this is so long.

I work about 30 minutes from my home. I was probably about 5 minutes from work when I started having a small pain in my left side, right below my rib cage. By the time I got to work (5 minutes later), I stopped off at my boss’ office and told him about it, but by this time, it’s hurting pretty bad. This would be about 7:20AM. By 8:15 it is bordering on un-bearable and I start researching online what might be causing the pain, but nothing really jumps out at me, so I still think at this point that it will pass.

By 8:30, I am in agony. The problem is that there is nothing I can do to alleviate the pain. I have a bad back, but even when it is so bad that I can’t get out of bed, I can usually find some position that will give me relief. Not so with this…I have tried laying down, walking, sitting, standing, and everything in between, and no relief. So, I call my doctor to make an appointment. I just changed my health insurance to something with no co-pay, so I am really trying to avoid going to the emergency room.

I get a hold of my doctor around 8:30 and make an appointment for (iirc) 10:00AM. So I go in and tell my boss that I gotta go. I have a great boss, and he understands, and wishes me well, and asks that I let him know how it goes. I hop in my car and head back down south.

I don’t know how many of you live in, or have driven in Orange County, but on a Friday morning heading south on I-5…not a good place to be. Like the idiot that I am, I get all the way over to the left lane before I realize that I’m not sure I am going to be able to make it home because I’m not sure it is safe for me to drive with all this pain…unfortunately, the 5 is now a parking lot, and I can’t get back over. I’m thinking at this point I need to call my wife and have her come get me, but I can’t get off the freeway!

By this point, the pain is now shooting down into my groin area…with the research I had done earlier, I now believe that I have a Kidney stone. Fast onset of pain, and the pain moving down into my groin, these were all things I remembered being associated with kidney stones. I’m not a doctor, and I could be totally wrong on that, but that is my thought in the moment.

I am literally crying out to God now asking him to do something (why didn’t I do this earlier???!!!??). I am desperate for God. IIRC, my exact words were “God, please, do something”.

Within a few minutes the pain is starting to go away. By the time I get home, it is 100% gone. I have no other explanation other than God healed me.

I know this will probably be met with skepticism, and that’s OK, but I wanted to share this, so that if anyone else needs something from God, they can be encouraged by this.

Steve W.

Edit - fixed a typo

So God will cure severe side-pain, but let people starve and die every day? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let people get raped and murdered? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let cancer destroy millions of lives ever year?

I don't have a problem with people having faith, but it's this kind of contradiction that drives me absolutely crazy. How anybody can believe God directly influences our lives on a daily basis is mind-boggling.

I don't mean to attack you, OP. I know you'll probably take it personally, but that's not my intention. I just don't understand how people can justify this blatant contradiction.

P.S. I am glad your pain went away, but, I would still recommend talking to your doctor.

• Fire 9

I don’t doubt your story at all. But it’s hard to say whether or not God intervened to heal you. He certainly could, without doubt. But I believe he lets us each go through life experiencing good and bad, joy and pain, mostly on our own. He lets both good things happen to us and bad things happen to us. It rains on the good as well as the bad. I think He wants us to have faith in Him regardless of whether good things come our way, or bad things happen to us.

Maybe God healed you. Maybe not. Either way I’m glad you are better now. /just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for sharing muzicman0. Nobody knows if it was God or natural circumstances that led to your relief but it certainly could have been an act of God. People who presume to think they know how God should act in every situation don't really understand him at all. I had a sort of similar situation in which I was scheduled for surgery but was miraculously healed and didn't require the surgery after all. The doctors had no logical explanation. But I'm sure some here would question his choice to cure me and not other much more apparently serious cases. I simply figure he has his reasons.

I don't doubt your story one bit. If it's a comforting thing for you to believe that God healed you, I'm 100% in your corner.

I just wish God had chosen to heal my mother, 64 years his servant, humble, wonderful, dedicated, self-effacing, the ideal Christian. Devoted her life to trying to raise a child that didn't want to be raised properly, then the next 15 years to trying to raise that child's children, despite never really having time to enjoy a simple married life with the husband she loved. She always figured she'd have time after the grandkids were safe and in college. Neither went, they spurned her love and wisdom, and about a year after they moved out, boom! cancer and she's gone.

I'm happy that God cured your side pain. I just wish he would be an equal-opportunity curer of his servants.

• Fire 1

Steve,

Aches and pains come and go all the time. But just because the pain went away, that doesn't mean you're healed. If you had pain so severe that you had to leave work, I'd suggest you see a doctor anyway. Trust in God all you like, but from your story it sounded pretty serious, at least more serious than a stomach ache or the cramping I get sometimes when I'm jogging. I'm no doctor either, but I'd certainly have my doc run some tests. If it is a kidney stone, those things can be straight cripplingly painful.

Be well.

• Fire 3

I've never had a kidney stone before, but if the symptom is intermittent pain, you may want to drop by your doctor's offense and just get it checked out. That may be the end of it, or it may come back. Supposedly, it is excruciating pain, although I don't know how they would treat it. Hopefully it isn't too serious and some medication is all that is needed.

I'm not looking at getting into a theological discussion on why or how, or even why not.

Then you might have been better served by choosing a different subject line for the post.

That being said Husker_x's advice is worth following. Get checked out by a Doctor. After all YHWH helps those who helps themselves.

• Fire 1

So God will cure severe side-pain, but let people starve and die every day? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let people get raped and murdered? God will cure side-pain, but he'll let cancer destroy millions of lives ever year?

I don't claim to know how God works, but the Bible has literally dozens of examples of human prayer in intercession for others changing God's plan for someone or something. Maybe we are to blame just as much or even moreso than God for the rapes, murders, starvation, homelessness, genocide and every other evil in this world by not caring enough to do anything to stop it or pray on the behalf of those suffering?

I don't doubt your story one bit. If it's a comforting thing for you to believe that God healed you, I'm 100% in your corner.

I just wish God had chosen to heal my mother, 64 years his servant, humble, wonderful, dedicated, self-effacing, the ideal Christian. Devoted her life to trying to raise a child that didn't want to be raised properly, then the next 15 years to trying to raise that child's children, despite never really having time to enjoy a simple married life with the husband she loved. She always figured she'd have time after the grandkids were safe and in college. Neither went, they spurned her love and wisdom, and about a year after they moved out, boom! cancer and she's gone.

I'm happy that God cured your side pain. I just wish he would be an equal-opportunity curer of his servants.

You know me well enough Knapp, I don't mean to trivialize what you've been through or your mom's life, but if she was the humble, ideal servant you describe (and I absolutely believe she is) then she is quite truly home with her savior, singing praises and free from the sin of this life. I know you don't necessarily believe that, but it sounds like she did and does :)

• Fire 4