Nebraska best defense VS best offense

Nebraska has had a history of great defenses for as some great coaches have said defense wins championships. Nebraska has also had some fantastic offensive lines as well. So what would happen if they where to sqaure off in a history clash on the gridiron? Please include the years and some of the key players if you are going to comment.

(Hey its the offseason im bored and I want to watch football let the debate begin!)

I'll go with Turner Gill and Irving Fryar's high-flying offense from 1983 vs. ...... idk, 2009 defense with Suh, Crick, Prince, Gomes, Asante, Dennard, Dillard, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not saying 2009's defense was better than the ones in 95, 94, 97, etc. Just not really old enough to remember.

I think the Frazier and Phillps offense would be the one that win's out, in a high scoring affair with avg defenses because of the ball control part of the game cause they can keep the other team off the field. Of course who knows.

I could see that.

I'd go with the '83 scoring explosion. But really, it's comparing apples to oranges. Players were smaller back then. Especially in the down lineman positions. Dean Steinkuhler weighed in at a whopping 270 lbs. At that playing weight he'd have a hard time getting a push on today's DTs.

I am probably in the minority here and I'll just throw out there that I never started following the Huskers religously until I was about 10 years old (1990), but I would put the 1995 defense up against anyone I've seen. I know statistically they weren't the best and a lot of people will throw out 1999 or 2009 or 1971. But they were dominant at every level and literally punished the opposing offenses. It would be hard to decide between 1983 and 1995 in terms of offense. Probably a tossup there.

• Fire 1

I am probably in the minority here and I'll just throw out there that I never started following the Huskers religously until I was about 10 years old (1990), but I would put the 1995 defense up against anyone I've seen. I know statistically they weren't the best and a lot of people will throw out 1999 or 2009 or 1971. But they were dominant at every level and literally punished the opposing offenses. It would be hard to decide between 1983 and 1995 in terms of offense. Probably a tossup there.

Oh this is just for fun but I'll easily go with the 83 offense. That consistently explosive even with a marginal defense is really something.

Actually, on defense I'll go with 1996 when Farley was playing. Him and J. Williams were simply sensational olbs and Peters, Wistrom, Polk, R. Brown, Tomich, Booker......wow.

I'll go with Turner Gill and Irving Fryar's high-flying offense from 1983 vs. ...... idk, 2009 defense with Suh, Crick, Prince, Gomes, Asante, Dennard, Dillard, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not saying 2009's defense was better than the ones in 95, 94, 97, etc. Just not really old enough to remember.

then how do you pick a 1983 offense then if you can't really remember a 95 defense? 95 is hard to forget cause they were voted the best college football team of all-time.