Diamond formation

As to our OL and its problems, we cleaned up a lot of problems we used to have with stupid peneties ie: false starts and holdings. We also implimented a new offensive set and joined a new conference. I am willing to forgive some of the problems last year to those changes. This year barring any major player hiccups I think we will see a major improvement from the OL, it appears we have depth at every position. Almost the whole 2 deep has playing or starting expierence except center. The center position is obviously in flux right now but I think the to likely starters look to be able to play the position. This is also the year we hopefully see the difference a year under two OL coaches has improved rep count and overall understanding of positions by 2nd and 3rd stringers.

That's not true at all. Moore, Sirles, Choi, Arod, Long - those are the only guys with any game experience on the O-line.

Come one please you will lose that argument every time. Your perception is not based on fact.

That is 5/8 in the two deep that you mentioned. 2011 stats not all updated on official website. But I found at least 3 more with multiple games played in 2010 and 2011. That doesnt include players like Moudy, Price, Reeves, Sterup, Klachko, or Ash. Although Ash appears to be destined to never get real playing time, I am kinda surprised he hasnt moved to TE, 275 isnt likely to cut it as a OT.

Qvale

2010 (Redshirt Freshman)

Qvale played in all 14 games as a redshirt freshman as a reserve guard behind Keith Williams and Ricky Henry, and also as a member of Nebraska's PAT and field goal units. Qvale helped Nebraska rank atop the Big 12 and in the top 10 nationally in rushing offense.

Jake Cotton

2012 (Outlook)

Sophomore offensive lineman Jake Cotton continues to work toward returning to the field after suffering a season-ending knee injury during the 2011 season. The 6-6, 295-pound Cotton should be full speed for summer conditioning and fall camp and will give Nebraska a versatile lineman capable of playing both guard and tackle.

2011 (Redshirt Freshman)

Cotton played in Nebraska's wins over Chattanooga, Washington and Wyoming, helping the Huskers rack up more than 300 rushing yards against both Washington and Wyoming. He suffered a knee injury before the Ohio State game and was lost for the season. Cotton moved from defense to the offensive line during 2011 spring practice.

Brandon Thompson

2011 Season Outlook

Junior Brandon Thompson is among a group of offensive linemen who are looking to move into a position for significant playing time on a young, but talented offensive line this fall. Thompson served in a backup role at offensive guard behind seniors Ricky Henry and Keith Williams in 2010, but with the graduation of those two starters, Thompson is among the leading candidates to push for a starting spot this spring and fall.

The 6-6, 300-pound Thompson appeared in nine games last season and helped the Huskers rank first in the Big 12 in rushing offense.

If we where an air raid offense I would no longer be a Nebraska football fan even the spread for me is just painful to watch. I like ground and pound all the way straight running it up the middle and try and stop me. And recruit huge 320 pound lineman from all over and turn it back into the pro factory for lineman it once was.

Why? What does the offense matter if we're good at it?

The N on our helmet doesn't mean "Option." It's just the base set we were most successful at over the last few decades. We could run anything and it wouldn't matter - even the West Coast Offense - as long as we were able to move the ball and score effectively.

That has to be the bottom line. You can't marry yourself to one style of offense.

I want running as long as there is no offense such as the west coast, Or the spread. If it becomes something that is primarily passing I can consider myself being done watching Nebraska football. Your talking to the guy that sets the setting on NCAA 12 to the option attack and 100% running no matter what.

Dear Tim Beck,

Please, oh PLEASE, let Taylor go all Case Keenum and chuck the pill all around Memorial Stadium this fall. I have been a good poster during this long offseason, and old man knapp hasn't even had to scold me. It would mean more to so many others than just me. It would be a gift that will keep on giving.

Cordially yours,

PaulCrewe

Please no.

As to our OL and its problems, we cleaned up a lot of problems we used to have with stupid peneties ie: false starts and holdings. We also implimented a new offensive set and joined a new conference. I am willing to forgive some of the problems last year to those changes. This year barring any major player hiccups I think we will see a major improvement from the OL, it appears we have depth at every position. Almost the whole 2 deep has playing or starting expierence except center. The center position is obviously in flux right now but I think the to likely starters look to be able to play the position. This is also the year we hopefully see the difference a year under two OL coaches has improved rep count and overall understanding of positions by 2nd and 3rd stringers.

That's not true at all. Moore, Sirles, Choi, Arod, Long - those are the only guys with any game experience on the O-line.

Come one please you will lose that argument every time. Your perception is not based on fact.

That is 5/8 in the two deep that you mentioned. 2011 stats not all updated on official website. But I found at least 3 more with multiple games played in 2010 and 2011. That doesnt include players like Moudy, Price, Reeves, Sterup, Klachko, or Ash. Although Ash appears to be destined to never get real playing time, I am kinda surprised he hasnt moved to TE, 275 isnt likely to cut it as a OT.

Qvale

2010 (Redshirt Freshman)

Qvale played in all 14 games as a redshirt freshman as a reserve guard behind Keith Williams and Ricky Henry, and also as a member of Nebraska's PAT and field goal units. Qvale helped Nebraska rank atop the Big 12 and in the top 10 nationally in rushing offense.

Jake Cotton

2012 (Outlook)

Sophomore offensive lineman Jake Cotton continues to work toward returning to the field after suffering a season-ending knee injury during the 2011 season. The 6-6, 295-pound Cotton should be full speed for summer conditioning and fall camp and will give Nebraska a versatile lineman capable of playing both guard and tackle.

2011 (Redshirt Freshman)

Cotton played in Nebraska's wins over Chattanooga, Washington and Wyoming, helping the Huskers rack up more than 300 rushing yards against both Washington and Wyoming. He suffered a knee injury before the Ohio State game and was lost for the season. Cotton moved from defense to the offensive line during 2011 spring practice.

Brandon Thompson

2011 Season Outlook

Junior Brandon Thompson is among a group of offensive linemen who are looking to move into a position for significant playing time on a young, but talented offensive line this fall. Thompson served in a backup role at offensive guard behind seniors Ricky Henry and Keith Williams in 2010, but with the graduation of those two starters, Thompson is among the leading candidates to push for a starting spot this spring and fall.

The 6-6, 300-pound Thompson appeared in nine games last season and helped the Huskers rank first in the Big 12 in rushing offense.

So nobody with extensive playing time other than the 5 I mentioned. If you want to count guys getting in on special teams or playing a handful of snaps as proven depth then your right we have proven depth. But good catch on finding that those 3 do infact have some blip of experience.

Really....really? When I said almost the whole 2 deep has starting or playing experience, that means a majority have either started or played in games. Your statement that 5 of the 8 players on the 2 deep have extensive playing experience just re-enforces my point. But you say my statement wasn't true at all, which would imply that almost none of our 2 deep Oline has any game experience. Your evidence is not only lacking its no where to be found. If you notice we lost 3 starters on the Oline from graduation, considering that its pretty amazing how much playing time the remaining players have. Look if you wanna argue the 3 players don't have quality playing time then please by all means come up with some stats and I would be more than happy to read them, until then don't put words in my mouth, or misconstrue my arguments with your inability to comprehend facts.

I don't care if we run the Diamond Formation or the Power-I, if we don't block like we mean it nothing's going to work.

Everyone is so concerned about the wallpaper in the penthouse, and we haven't even dug down to bedrock yet.

i'm convinced a large portion of that stems from the fact that we run out of 15 different formations, with a different blocking scheme for each. we can't consistently get a single one of them right. Our OL has to learn to block for the option, zone read, spreadish crap...some pro-style formations, TE heavy power sets, etc. if we had an offensive identity maybe our OL could form one as well, and with that comes consistency. If we aren't consistent in anything we do (and don't anyone give me any BS about the defense "figuring" us out - that's the least of our worries), then I'm convinced that we are never going to break that 10 win barrier.

I don't care if we're G-Tech option, Oregon zone-read, a Missouri spread, or a Leach air-raid attack - as long as we're consistent and we execute our offense - not let the defense dictate so much of the game...we'll improve. The formation, the offense...doesn't really matter if you can't execute - and we can't execute trying to be all of the above. no college team could.

Exactly.

Uncle Milt said many, many times that reps is the #1 priority for his Olines & with us changing offenses every five minutes it's no wonder we're inconsistent and make mistakes by the boatload.

Wait, wait, wait. I've heard many times over the years that Osborne's offense had a ton of blocking schemes. Aren't there stories that Milt and TO would simply change-up the blocking on a play to devastate an opponent in the 2nd half? I've always been under the impression that our best offenses under TO were the ones with the most complex blocking schemes.

There's a lot of arguments to be made about why or offense (or, more specifically, our o-line) isn't effective, but I don't think "too many blocking schemes" is one of them.

We better find something to do with turner besides playing BEHIND inferior talented players who happen to line up correctly.

Sort of wonder why Ameer can fumble multiple times and maintain his #2 position and JT makes one bad play in a nothing Minnesota game and gets benched?

You think two Texans were talking about that a few times?

Well, as soon as he quits dogging it at practice "and" can start remembering what his route is "and" stops dropping easy passes I'm sure Bo will listen to your ultra-keen advice. Who knows? He just might even develop the ability to block someone over 140 lbs. It could happen!

So I take it you want him to go back to Texas also?

If the coaches keep him on the bench he's next and don't think that isn't a possibility.

If that happens we can probably kiss off the state of Texas as far as blue chip recruits go

Where in the world does "wanting him to go back to Texas" come from? It just seems to me that it doesn't matter one iota if he's from Texas, Nebraska or Mars. He's gotta earn it. Period.

Giving starting positions away because they're from "Texas" or wherever would be a supremely titanic disaster. If that's his attitude, he can follow the route of C. Green, J. Dailey, C. Dukes, etc.

that's where he's from and that's probably where (will if we keep jacking him around) he'd go back to- so again you're equating AG and JT into the C Green - Dailey-dukes crowd- all I can say is you're not a very good judge of talent, and neither is Nebraska in the case of AG & JT so you've got that covered

I just hope you like all the TD's marlow produces in the "diamond" or any other formation-

Our bread and butter last year was the Pro I sweep to Burkhead. We went to it quite a bit, even on crucial 4th down plays. We also liked pitch power in the C gap, though the younger backs aren't yet patient enough to delay that cut upfield. Burkhead has gotten quite good at it, freezing those LB's in their tracks as they try to cut him off outside. Legate was also REALLY good at cut blocking downfield. Against Washington, we ran straight ISO at least 6 times in a row to put it away, netting 5+ yds a pop every time.

Some of that smashmouth brought back the warm gooey goodness I remember from the T.O. days. (and a little from Solich and his Crouch-offense) What I wouldn't give for a counter sweep now... (our guards aren't nearly fast enough, though)

The problems arise when a defense with a pulse puts 8 or even 7 in the box, cutting it down to 2 or 1 yard and a cloud of dust. We then have to throw - Taylor's technique, plus his aversion to checking down spells trouble. The only time we're gonna move the ball is when we can hurt them with safe throws and well-blocked runs for 4+. Then they start looking into the backfield and we get them with Bell 30 yds downfield on a fake option pass, or Burkhead on a wheel route. Can Taylor pull off a 7 step drop and hit Enunwa on a 15 yd out or comeback route?? Maybe, but not very often. We need to get him in space, and check down to pick up those 4+ yds.

Matriculatin the ball down the field.

Shortening the game.

Driving their coordinator insane.

Winning the game.

• Fire 1

Uncle Milt said many, many times that reps is the #1 priority for his Olines & with us changing offenses every five minutes it's no wonder we're inconsistent and make mistakes by the boatload.

OK, seriously, you need to make up your mind on whether Beck is having us changing offenses every five minutes or if we have one identity that hearkens back to the good ole days.

I'm confused on which you think to be the case.

OK, seriously, you need to make up your mind on whether Beck is having us changing offenses every five minutes or if we have one identity that hearkens back to the good ole days.

I'm confused on which you think to be the case.

Ah, old friend. It's really not confusing at all. At this point we do "not" have an identity that we can rely on (at all).

However, as this is just Beck's 2nd year "maybe" (I pray) he's getting a lot closer to making that decision. It doesn't have to be TO's offense for me to be a happy camper. I just want him to make his call and live or die with it.

Just think zoogies, you might might be deliriously thrilled if he chooses some fluffball offense where we throw the ball 80% of the time and our qb runs like a 3 toed sloth. It could happen for you my friend! It wouldn't be overly happy with that choice (as you know so well) but I would be happier with that than continuing the Callawatts tradition.

We'll see. my compadre'.