It's a new competitive advantage for us and a step forward in the strength and conditioning half of athletics.

“We’re equipping the weight racks with intelligence they’ve never had,” Zimmer said. “We’re solving problems shared by others and realized early this is blended product. It’s the first time anyone’s ever stitched a number of different aspects about weight training together. We’re tailoring workouts to athletes and enabling accountability because we’re tracking what the athletes do and providing real-time feedback right back to the athlete.”

Watch video here: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&atclid=205427139

More info here: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205424274&db_oem_id=100

I just don't understand why we're offering it up for sale for everyone else so they can have it too. How is it a competitive advantage if everyone starts having it? Unless... they are looking to make a bunch of money off of it, but even then aren't there rules that say it can't go to the football program or the school?

Am I the only one who would be incredibly annoyed with having to sign into every single station during every workout every single day?

do you have to sign in at work everyday?

Actually, no, I don't.

I'm would think version 2.0 will have fingerprint identification to speed up the process...

Am I the only one who would be incredibly annoyed with having to sign into every single station during every workout every single day?

I would love it. I would love being able to see in minute detail how much I'd improved since the last time, and if there isn't a trainer there for each individual athlete for each lift 24/7, then this works well that way. (Obviously some lifts always need a spotter, but not all). The player doesn't have to keep track of how much they lifted last time because it would all be right there. I don't think it would take much more time than having the trainer look up what they did on that lift three days previously. They would also have to find out from the trainer which lifts they need to do. So this might even take less time than it used to. And even if the signing in is annoying, all of the fun details you'd get to look at would easily make up for it.

I wish I had access to it myself. I hate trying to remember what I lifted last time or how many miles I rode. In fact... thousands of people sign up for websites just so they can log stuff like this and that probably takes a lot more time than the gadget shown in the video and it's far crappier quality.

I am surprised that with this 'advantage' we had some athletes at the combine lift what were considered 'low' reps for their position? Maybe I'm misinformed?

I think they just started using it in January. Also... I realize these are excuses, but we didn't exactly have a huge group of talented players graduating, and just off-hand I'm thinking of Marcel Jones who has/had back trouble (he's one that I remember who had a really bad bench press), Lavonte who is small for his position, and Crick who had a lingering injury. I don't remember how well Dennard did. *shrug*

I agree its not the most practical technology but I think you would get used to it quickly. Lifting weights usually requires a little bit of rest time between sets and/or waiting on a partner so I think this down time could be used to work the technology without wasting more time. I'm a pretty serious lifter and I think this technology would be awesome to have.