SIGNED DE Peyton Newell

OK. So you've gone from claiming that he was "COMPLETELY untouched" on the first 16 plays to this so that's progress towards reality

Synopsis of his defensive plays in order:

1. Pushes over a 130 pound RB, gets sack.

2. Untouched, sack He was, but barely.

3. Finally touched by 180 pound OT, doesn't beat his man but QB runs into him b/c pressure from other side If by "doesn't beat his man" you mean "throws one guy aside then beats the block from the RB" then this is correct.

4. Kind of touched, misses sack Too fast for the guy to get a solid block than makes a less than textbook tackle would be more accurate.

5. Untouched, sack

6. Kind of touched by 5'4", 140 pound RB, sack If by "kind of touched" you mean "squarely blocked until pushed aside" then yes.

7. Untouched, sack

8. Untouched, sack

9. Untouched, sack You should ask this QBs optinion of Mr. Newell

10. Untouched, tackle

11. Touched by 180 pound OT, quick pass, no chance to make a play

12. Touched, QB rolls to the other side, no chance to make a play Chases down the QB and hits him as he throws would be more accurate

13. Touched, QB rolls his way, gets a QB hurry Two guys attempted to block him - hits QB as he throws would be more accurate

14. Untouched, made a good play here, gets a QB hurry

15. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry hits QB as he throws causing bad pass

16. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry two guys try to block him - chases down QB and hits him as he throws

17. Untouched, gets QB hurry

18. Touched, doesn't make a play of any kind, just overruns the pocket two guys try to block him

19. Touched, gets QB hurry double teamed - hits the QB as he throws

Those are the first 5 minutes. Anytime he was even touched, literally someone brushed jerseys with him, he almost never got a sack. 90% of his sacks are when no people even attempted to guard him or get in his way. The heaviest lineman he saw was maybe 240 pounds, and the average lineman was maybe 200 pounds.

And you claim that any time anyone even brushes him he almost never gets a sack right after you on 4 of the 11 plays you claim he got touched on he did get a sack and on six of the others he hits the QB as soon as he throws it.

I have no problem with you thinking he isn't that good and/or only looks good against lesser opponents but at least make claims that are based in reality.

• Fire 3

Haven't watched BRW yet but maybe you should check out the highlights at the beginning of the thread or below and see if he looks different.

I don't know, it just doesn't look that impressive to me. He doesn't look explosive in the least. He looked good in the camps, strong first step, but in the game against extremely inferior competition, he doesn't jump off the page as an athlete. Again, it's hard to project a stand-up DE to a linebacker.

I admittedly only watched the first 5 minutes of the highlight film, but the first 16 tackles he made, he was COMPLETELY untouched. It's not like he was throwing OT out of the way and chasing players down. There are like 2 total plays where the first offensive player he touches is not the ball carrier. What happens when he comes to college and actually has people in front of him, it's going to be a new world and a steep learning curve.

I don't think he is a bad player, by any means, but I don't think he should be the "headliner" guy in a solid recruiting class, he is a middle-of-the-pack guy IMO.

I'm sorry but I absolutely disagree. He may be the most explosive d-linemen Bo has recruited besides Randy Gregory. Look at how fast he gets into the backfield. He just absolutely runs through blockers like they aren't even there. His combination of strength and speed is unbelievable. There's a reason his offer list is extremely long. I've been following recruiting for quite awhile and his film has me as excited as any of the prospects we've landed in the past.

I don't know, it just doesn't look that impressive to me. He doesn't look explosive in the least. He looked good in the camps, strong first step, but in the game against extremely inferior competition, he doesn't jump off the page as an athlete. Again, it's hard to project a stand-up DE to a linebacker.

You do realize he's basically playing outside linebacker at 270 lbs., right? And he doesn't project to a linebacker, he's basically playing OLB in their defense but will be on the line for us.

2. Untouched, sack

3. Finally touched by 180 pound OT, doesn't beat his man but QB runs into him b/c pressure from other side

4. Kind of touched, misses sack

5. Untouched, sack

6. Kind of touched by 5'4", 140 pound RB, sack

7. Untouched, sack

8. Untouched, sack

9. Untouched, sack

10. Untouched, tackle

12. Touched, QB rolls to the other side, no chance to make a play

13. Touched, QB rolls his way, gets a QB hurry

15. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry

16. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry

18. Touched, doesn't make a play of any kind, just overruns the pocket

19. Touched, gets QB hurry

Those are the first 5 minutes. Anytime he was even touched, literally someone brushed jerseys with him, he almost never got a sack. 90% of his sacks are when no people even attempted to guard him or get in his way. The heaviest lineman he saw was maybe 240 pounds, and the average lineman was maybe 200 pounds.

I'm not playing the whole bad competition card to say he isn't good. Maliek Collins played against bad competition, but he was 300 pounds and was the fastest player on the field. He was chasing down running backs and throwing O-lineman across the field. He would take on double, triple teams, brush them aside, and go make a tackle. You could tell he was the best athlete on the field because he was. Newell looks different (in a good way) than the kids he was playing with, he just doesn't look like M. Collins did where it was so obvious.

I'm not tearing the kid down, I think he is a really solid player and could become a contributor in time, but if he is our headliner commit than I would be pretty disappointed with the top half of this class. If he ends up being the 5-7 best commit, then that would be a really solid class.

The thing about Peyton Newell that you can't teach is his size. The reason that he got 30 D1 offers is because of that size and his work ethic. A lot of big kids don't have the work ethic he has and you can't teach work ethic or size.

Size no you can't teach. Work ethic is usually always taught though.

Let me rephrase, you can't make a kid be internally motivated. I don't want a repeat of Jay Guy or Todd Peat. All the potential in the world but no drive to do the little things right. IE stay away from McDonalds.

• Fire 1
Size no you can't teach. Work ethic is usually always taught though.

I'll half agree with this thought. You can try to instill work ethics and attitude into kids and some get it. A lot of times though, those efforts are for not. Self motivated may hasn't been the better term to use

I went down to Kansas this weekend and decided to stop by for the second half of their game friday night. As much as I hate to say it I just was not impressed with Peyton. He did not do much the entire second half when they were trying to protect a 10-0 lead. The tackle did not have a very hard time blocking him and he only had 4 tackles in the half. They actually had more success when they ran to his side because he always went outside and tried to beat the tackle around the edge, with little success. The only time he had success was went he went inside three or four times. Overall, I was not impressed with him and am hoping it was only a fluke game. The level of talent that they play is also poor even though the team they played was ranked inside the top 5 in the state. I hope there is something there that the coaches can build on because I just did not see it and that is pry why i am not a coach.

You do realize he's basically playing outside linebacker at 270 lbs., right? And he doesn't project to a linebacker, he's basically playing OLB in their defense but will be on the line for us.

2. Untouched, sack

3. Finally touched by 180 pound OT, doesn't beat his man but QB runs into him b/c pressure from other side

4. Kind of touched, misses sack

5. Untouched, sack

6. Kind of touched by 5'4", 140 pound RB, sack

7. Untouched, sack

8. Untouched, sack

9. Untouched, sack

10. Untouched, tackle

12. Touched, QB rolls to the other side, no chance to make a play

13. Touched, QB rolls his way, gets a QB hurry

15. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry

16. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry

18. Touched, doesn't make a play of any kind, just overruns the pocket

19. Touched, gets QB hurry

I'm not playing the whole bad competition card to say he isn't good. Maliek Collins played against bad competition, but he was 300 pounds and was the fastest player on the field. He was chasing down running backs and throwing O-lineman across the field. He would take on double, triple teams, brush them aside, and go make a tackle. You could tell he was the best athlete on the field because he was. Newell looks different (in a good way) than the kids he was playing with, he just doesn't look like M. Collins did where it was so obvious.

I'm not tearing the kid down, I think he is a really solid player and could become a contributor in time, but if he is our headliner commit than I would be pretty disappointed with the top half of this class. If he ends up being the 5-7 best commit, then that would be a really solid class.

The thing about Peyton Newell that you can't teach is his size. The reason that he got 30 D1 offers is because of that size and his work ethic. A lot of big kids don't have the work ethic he has and you can't teach work ethic or size.

I know. I don't dislike Newell or think he is someone we don't want on our team, I'm just not in LOVE with the kid. I think he is a solid piece to the class and I think there will be a high learning curve coming to college when he has capable blockers in front of him - something he will not be used to from his experience in high school.

No HS DT is use to playing guys as big as them. They all have steep learning curves.

But very few of them played OLB in high school. Quickness advantage: Newell. :corndance

Agreed.

Someone let ObamaRocks in on feh secret that I'm not that bad ;)

• Fire 1

No HS DT is use to playing guys as big as them. They all have steep learning curves.

But very few of them played OLB in high school.  Quickness advantage: Newell.   :corndance

Not to mention, they don't usually bench 400, incline 375, and squat 570. DT with the ability to dominate the line with upperbody  strength in Bo's defense is the difference between Suh and Thad Randle. Strength advantage: Newell