SIGNED DE Peyton Newell

• 3 weeks later...

I think he has a tremendously bland highlight film. He doesn't look explosive against pretty poor competition. One thing to keep in mind is that he is essentially a DT playing OLB, so remember that when judging his athleticism and playmaking ability

I've seen film of a DT playing QB and he was lighting it up. Athletes just make it happen, it doesn't matter where they're playing at.

That said. Its just old film. :D

Haven't watched BRW yet but maybe you should check out the highlights at the beginning of the thread or below and see if he looks different.

I don't know, it just doesn't look that impressive to me. He doesn't look explosive in the least. He looked good in the camps, strong first step, but in the game against extremely inferior competition, he doesn't jump off the page as an athlete. Again, it's hard to project a stand-up DE to a linebacker.

I admittedly only watched the first 5 minutes of the highlight film, but the first 16 tackles he made, he was COMPLETELY untouched. It's not like he was throwing OT out of the way and chasing players down. There are like 2 total plays where the first offensive player he touches is not the ball carrier. What happens when he comes to college and actually has people in front of him, it's going to be a new world and a steep learning curve.

I don't think he is a bad player, by any means, but I don't think he should be the "headliner" guy in a solid recruiting class, he is a middle-of-the-pack guy IMO.

I don't know, it just doesn't look that impressive to me. He doesn't look explosive in the least. He looked good in the camps, strong first step, but in the game against extremely inferior competition, he doesn't jump off the page as an athlete. Again, it's hard to project a stand-up DE to a linebacker.

You do realize he's basically playing outside linebacker at 270 lbs., right? And he doesn't project to a linebacker, he's basically playing OLB in their defense but will be on the line for us.

I admittedly only watched the first 5 minutes of the highlight film, but the first 16 tackles he made, he was COMPLETELY untouched. It's not like he was throwing OT out of the way and chasing players down.

Also, you must be either not paying attention or just out to talk him down. Everyone knows he is playing against lesser competition. But these statements are totally false.

You do realize he's basically playing outside linebacker at 270 lbs., right? And he doesn't project to a linebacker, he's basically playing OLB in their defense but will be on the line for us.

You do realize in each of my last two posts I have mentioned that it is harder to project because he is playing OLB in the film, correct? I posted this an hour ago, like 4 posts up. So yes, I do realize this.

One thing to keep in mind is that he is essentially a DT playing OLB, so remember that when judging his athleticism and playmaking ability
  • Fire 1

Synopsis of his defensive plays in order:

1. Pushes over a 130 pound RB, gets sack.

2. Untouched, sack

3. Finally touched by 180 pound OT, doesn't beat his man but QB runs into him b/c pressure from other side

4. Kind of touched, misses sack

5. Untouched, sack

6. Kind of touched by 5'4", 140 pound RB, sack

7. Untouched, sack

8. Untouched, sack

9. Untouched, sack

10. Untouched, tackle

11. Touched by 180 pound OT, quick pass, no chance to make a play

12. Touched, QB rolls to the other side, no chance to make a play

13. Touched, QB rolls his way, gets a QB hurry

14. Untouched, made a good play here, gets a QB hurry

15. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry

16. Kind of touched, gets QB hurry

17. Untouched, gets QB hurry

18. Touched, doesn't make a play of any kind, just overruns the pocket

19. Touched, gets QB hurry

Those are the first 5 minutes. Anytime he was even touched, literally someone brushed jerseys with him, he almost never got a sack. 90% of his sacks are when no people even attempted to guard him or get in his way. The heaviest lineman he saw was maybe 240 pounds, and the average lineman was maybe 200 pounds.

I'm not playing the whole bad competition card to say he isn't good. Maliek Collins played against bad competition, but he was 300 pounds and was the fastest player on the field. He was chasing down running backs and throwing O-lineman across the field. He would take on double, triple teams, brush them aside, and go make a tackle. You could tell he was the best athlete on the field because he was. Newell looks different (in a good way) than the kids he was playing with, he just doesn't look like M. Collins did where it was so obvious.

I'm not tearing the kid down, I think he is a really solid player and could become a contributor in time, but if he is our headliner commit than I would be pretty disappointed with the top half of this class. If he ends up being the 5-7 best commit, then that would be a really solid class.