What a sad day for Broken Bow

Valentine native here, played ball against Blum back in the day, so this really hits home with me. This could have happened to me or my community just as easily. Just terribly, terribly sad. I feel just awful for their families, the kids and their families, and the whole school and community. What a depressing night.

Long time lurker. Never post. tschu I am a Broken Bow native. We've probably played against each other before. It's been a heart wrenching day in the community. I go to school in Lincoln and still can't sleep over this. My mother taught with coach Blum, he was a great young man and had a bright future in front of him. teachercd I was a student, and athlete and most of all a friend of coach Harvey's. He had a great part in shaping myself and many other students and athletes from Broken Bow. This has been a grave day for the town of Broken Bow. Two men passed on and 2 students fighting for their lives. I know both coaches are watching from above and helping these young men in their fight. Please everyone send your prayers in the direction of this small community. Parents, students, teachers are all devastated. The Indians will rise from this and honor the men who have passed and help the young men recover but we sure could use all of your prayers. Accidents like this really help me to remember how fragile life is and how what you have one minute can be gone the next. I don't want to sound needy here but we could really use all of your help right now.

Thank you all and God bless.

bowsker

Albert Sherbeck, 70, of Ansley was eastbound on Highway 2 when it crossed the center line

Sad, we had to take the keys away from our dad, but it needed to be done

I didn't really want to mention it when I brought it up because we don't know all the facts yet, but yes, that was the first thought I had as well, way too many times it takes an accident or tragedy until we finally get the keys away from many of our seniors who shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place.

It seems like there have been a lot of deaths on highways north of Kearney over the last few years. Another unfortunate incident on Highway 2.

I drive Highway 2 from GI to Thedford when I go home. A lot of terrible, terrible driving happens on that stretch. And you almost never see any enforcement. It really is a dangerous stretch of road.

• 3 weeks later...

otl_broken_bow2_576.jpgotl_e_blum_200.jpg

______________________________Coach Zane Harvey (left)___________________________________Coach Anthony Blum

BROKEN BOW, Neb. -- Less than two blocks from Broken Bow High School sits a gray house with a couple of satellite dishes and a worn-out mailbox that says HUSKERS. It's a modest house, built for a teacher who's rarely home. It's all Zane Harvey ever needed. He lived 38 years and was never married. Broken Bow, friends say, was his wife and his life.

<snip>

Harvey coached three sports, taught math and at some point taped roughly half the ankles in town. He was the school's head basketball coach by default. He said he'd do it until they hired another guy, but then a year passed and there was no other guy. So it was no surprise that Harvey was eager to slip back to being an assistant coach last year, and he even suggested a candidate to replace him: Anthony Blum.

LINK (espn article; jacked from tschu's status)

Such a terrible tragedy.