Pelini strongly opposes playoff of any sort

i tend to agree with you, but that is not what everyone else suggests......my problem is how the pairings will be decided......i have little faith in keeping the politics out of it.

Seed the pairings according to normal play-off protocol: 1st round 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, etc and then let the play-offs commense. And I honest think that once we have the 11 auto qualifiers (conference champions) that we can generally agree who the remaining at large teams should be. More than likely the #2 teams from the SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12 would be at large invites and it is likely that a conference like the SEC would get a 3rd team in. Point is there's no perfect way to do this but this is, I think, the best way.

Edit: And make the at-large bids dependent upon final conference standings not ranking in any poll or computer because those can be too easily manipulated.

The best thing no one mentions is that you have 20 teams happy at the end of the season because they won their bowl game. More winners makes more happy fans -> continued interest in the sport. INstitute the playoff and sure you'll have a bit more confident champions, but everyone else's season will end sour.

Huh. I never thought about that before. That's a good point!

The best thing no one mentions is that you have 20 teams happy at the end of the season because they won their bowl game. More winners makes more happy fans -> continued interest in the sport. INstitute the playoff and sure you'll have a bit more confident champions, but everyone else's season will end sour.

But we'll still have that. There are about 35 bowls, right? Even if we take the top 16 teams (biggest playoff proposal on the table), that's only eight bowls cut from the schedule. 25+ teams will still end their season with a bowl win.

But we'll still have that. There are about 35 bowls, right? Even if we take the top 16 teams (biggest playoff proposal on the table), that's only eight bowls cut from the schedule. 25+ teams will still end their season with a bowl win.

I'm doubt the bowls can be sustained or at least not in a form that resembles what we know them as now. Bowl sponsors will want to pour in money for what? They'd come to resemble a deep run in the NIT tournament. For satisfaction, the Rose Bowl winner always ends the season proud. But, in 2022 would the BTN start running specials on on how the loser of the your CCG beat the #2 PAC team?

I think with a playoff, the major bowls become leftover Meineke Car Care type bowls. otoh playing the old bowls and then a +1 gets you the best of both worlds.

A four-team playoff would be better than what we have now. But the current system isn't *that* bad. The selection formula is fairly straightforward (although the details of the entire formula are not entirely known, right?). And we usually end up with the best two teams. Worst case, the present BCS might match up #1 vs. #3 once in a while. That's MUCH better than the old pre-BCS bowl system that Pelini wants to go back to. Back then we'd hardly ever get #1 vs. #2 for the MNC.

That's right. Remember 1997?

Bo's dead-wrong on this issue.

Actually..Bo now seems much smarter than I gave him credit for.

That '97 game might have been the best game that never was..It would almost be a shame if we beat MeChicken so bad that year that we couldn't have a proper argument about the outcome 15 years later.

People that like the NFL as much as I love college ball will love it when we become the NFL lite.

A 16-team playoff isn't going to happen in the near future so that idea should be stricken from any current discussion.

I like the plus one idea, but there's no way we're going to be able to please every college football fan/analyst/stakeholder in America. The largest issue tends to be bowl games, which most people (including myself) don't want to see go away; one, because they mean so much to the fans, and two, because they mean a lot to universities for various reasons. Nobody wants to see the regular season diminished. What people should realize, however, is that a playoff is inevitable at this point. Begin accepting that any form of playoff will distract from the regular season, and then you can have a more open mind about what sort of playoff we need.