Martinez QB Camp Update

Umm, it's his mechanics that keep him from getting the ball to his receivers. It's his mechanics that keep him from throwing catchable balls.

I agree that his mechanics keep him from getting the ball to receivers, but the receivers aren't blame-free here, either. It's Martinez' responsibility to put a football where a receiver can catch it. If the receiver doesn't catch it, it's entirely the wide receiver's fault.

I think 3:00 is an example of a time he would have scored a TD in his freshman year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0p_HqSfT-M

But I also see merit in him having a year where he learned that the offense doesn't have to rely on his ability to make a big play. If he can combine the two... his ability to make the big play and the knowledge that he doesn't have to make miraculous plays (that often wind up as interceptions or keeping the ball when he should hand it off) he will be great.

Good post. Guy over on huskersonline was trying to tell me TM was fully healed last season. No way, he lost a step. As you said as a healthy frosh he'd have blown by those guys in the PSU game. It did help him to play smarter though. He got hurt in the Iowa game, was unable to run for much of it, but was able to function. He was lost under similar circumstances the year before. Hope he is able to get that freshman explosiveness back while continuing to improve in terms of being a quarterback, not just an athlete trying to play qb.

Well, there is being healthy and then there is trusting that health too. I am sure we have all sprained ankles and even when it starts to feel better you still kind of baby it from time to time.

I think Tmart will do well this year. 2,500 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing with about 30 total TD's

The first few games last year it looked like Martinez speed was damn close to 100%. Difference was, as soon as he hit open field he started looking around and planning how to go down without getting clocked. Didn't seem to me he was skittish, but that the coaches had told him to do this. They simply couldn't afford Martinez being injured.

That Penn State clip showed the same insanely fast burst but with a lucky shoestring tackle. He did get tackled his freshman year, too.

This season or next they'll have to let Taylor go for broke. He will not be playing professional football and this team and this offense is his only shot at glory.

Appears I'm one of the few Husker fans who think Taylor Martinez is actually a pretty good passer. I've seen the weird mechanics and the poor throws, but re-watch some of the highlight reels and there are some great throws under great pressure and with a higher degree of difficulty than past Husker QBs faced. Some people claim they get nervous every time Taylor drops back to pass. I don't. He's an exciting player. Blew everyone away before he got hurt. Struggled after that with injuries, criticism, off-field crap, and a change in OC and still managed to mature last season. Every reason to root for him to be better this year, and to expect it.

Appears I'm one of the few Husker fans who think Taylor Martinez is actually a pretty good passer.

I'm in that camp with you - Taylor was whipping the ball around really well last season. The beginning of the Wisconsin game, Ohio State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan State and a few others all had perfectly acceptable and adequate performances by Taylor from the quarterback position.

Ganz, Keller and Zac Taylor were pass-first quarterbacks and could work the pro-set game, but beyond them Martinez is one of the few Husker QBs who can check down receivers, fire bullets on crossing patterns, execute an end zone fade and improvise a completion. That he could exploit a hole and go 80 yards in 5 seconds makes him uniquely dangerous. He seems to be getting his head in the right place. Hope he gets a little more help from his o-line and his receivers. Hope he's helped himself with his footwork and mechanics. Taylor Martinez could be Nebraska's career passing leader halfway through his junior season.

The first few games last year it looked like Martinez speed was damn close to 100%. Difference was, as soon as he hit open field he started looking around and planning how to go down without getting clocked. Didn't seem to me he was skittish, but that the coaches had told him to do this. They simply couldn't afford Martinez being injured.

That Penn State clip showed the same insanely fast burst but with a lucky shoestring tackle. He did get tackled his freshman year, too.

This season or next they'll have to let Taylor go for broke. He will not be playing professional football and this team and this offense is his only shot at glory.

Appears I'm one of the few Husker fans who think Taylor Martinez is actually a pretty good passer. I've seen the weird mechanics and the poor throws, but re-watch some of the highlight reels and there are some great throws under great pressure and with a higher degree of difficulty than past Husker QBs faced. Some people claim they get nervous every time Taylor drops back to pass. I don't. He's an exciting player. Blew everyone away before he got hurt. Struggled after that with injuries, criticism, off-field crap, and a change in OC and still managed to mature last season. Every reason to root for him to be better this year, and to expect it.

:thumbs

http://www.huskerloc...ecruiting-23863

Interesting bit from this website about how Taylor had to seek out a QB coach to help him with his mechanics. I never really thought about it that way, but now that I do, it's absolutely a sad situation as far as Nebraska's ability to coach and develop QB's. A player should not have to go back to California to work on his technique. Beck should not be both QB coach/ and Offensive Coordinator. This University needs a QB coach, and matter of factly, it needs one that will let the world know that NU is a place where QB's come to take the next step. Nebraska doesn't send QB's to the NFL. Based on the old style of play, it was never going to happen, but if we want to win in the college football world of today, we need someone who is full time committed to the most important position in all of football......THE QUARTERBACK! I think this is truly hurting the University more than we know.

All around great article, I absolutely agree with every point the guy makes.

• Fire 1

http://www.huskerloc...ecruiting-23863

Interesting bit from this website about how Taylor had to seek out a QB coach to help him with his mechanics. I never really thought about it that way, but now that I do, it's absolutely a sad situation as far as Nebraska's ability to coach and develop QB's. A player should not have to go back to California to work on his technique. Beck should not be both QB coach/ and Offensive Coordinator. This University needs a QB coach, and matter of factly, it needs one that will let the world know that NU is a place where QB's come to take the next step. Nebraska doesn't send QB's to the NFL. Based on the old style of play, it was never going to happen, but if we want to win in the college football world of today, we need someone who is full time committed to the most important position in all of football......THE QUARTERBACK! I think this is truly hurting the University more than we know.

All around great article, I absolutely agree with every point the guy makes.

i made the same argument several months ago.........this team needs a high quality, dedicated qb coach to develop the fundamentals in all our qbs.......i would guess Carnes suffers some from being neglected as a 2nd string guy........let alone our #3 guy, whoever that might be....this needs fixed.

I think 3:00 is an example of a time he would have scored a TD in his freshman year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0p_HqSfT-M

But I also see merit in him having a year where he learned that the offense doesn't have to rely on his ability to make a big play. If he can combine the two... his ability to make the big play and the knowledge that he doesn't have to make miraculous plays (that often wind up as interceptions or keeping the ball when he should hand it off) he will be great.

Good post. Guy over on huskersonline was trying to tell me TM was fully healed last season. No way, he lost a step. As you said as a healthy frosh he'd have blown by those guys in the PSU game. It did help him to play smarter though. He got hurt in the Iowa game, was unable to run for much of it, but was able to function. He was lost under similar circumstances the year before. Hope he is able to get that freshman explosiveness back while continuing to improve in terms of being a quarterback, not just an athlete trying to play qb.

Actually I think Taylor's burst is pretty solid here. The reason this play didn't turn out like a long run against KSU is the defenders being just slightly more disciplined and being in position at the next level to make plays. KSU's safeties and LBs were just awful, getting sucked up and finding themselves out of position all the time. In this case Taylor faced less open field at the next level and the LB was able to just barely make a great open-field tackle.

Also that Husker Locker article tries to make the argument that Nebraska's QB depth is hurting our recruiting. Please! We have three scholarship QBs on the roster. That's a low number any way you slice it. There is no way that any struggles in recruiting QB are due to our current depth chart.

Also, OC/QB dual coaching is probably the most common situation there is. The article tries to paint it as unusual. Well, maybe Beck isn't qualified to be a QBs coach. I don't know if he's ever done it before or if that's his area of expertise. But the position of OC/QB is hardly unusual.

Taylor having to spend time outside of official practice time to shore up his passing mechanics is absolutely a knock on Taylor, and not our coaches. But it's not his fault. He just hasn't played a whole lot of QB. He's an athlete who as far as quarterbacking goes, has been many years behind the average division 1 QB. So, he has to put in time to make up that ground. There is no real blame to go to anyone for this. Good for Taylor.

I will agree that Taylor has a perceived lock on the starting job. But he's a junior now, and this recruiting cycle is for guys who will have their freshman year while Taylor is a senior. It should be of little to no consequence.

The only good point I think that article makes is about non-starter reps at QB. And I do mean how many quality reps they get in practice.

Umm, it's his mechanics that keep him from getting the ball to his receivers. It's his mechanics that keep him from throwing catchable balls.

Umm, I guess Zac Lee's mechanics were the same as they dropped boatloads of his passes too.

Umm, no. What I said was "getting the ball to his receivers", meaning in front of them. Somewhere in the vacinity of out streched hands. I also said "throwing catchable balls", meaning the tip of the ball is down and going 100 mph, on a 5 yard cross, or sideline pattern. He doesn't have that touch, yet. Hopefully this camp teaches him some of that.

BTW, Zac Lee's mechanics weren't all that either. Now Joe Ganz?