SIGNED QB Johnny Stanton

The important thing is as always....Johnny "fits" in our program. I think our coaches, starting at Bo and all the way through to the most recent hire, want to develop a culture at Nebraska that fits the state. These kids come to Lincoln from all over the country and have varying experiences....some good, some not so good and some come out of great families and great programs. For the most part they are all high achievers, good work ethic and have the integrity our coaches want. It sounds like the coaches also have a Nebraska way of recruiting as well. As some of the kids we recruit fly under the radar of a lot of other programs, our coaches want more time to develop a relationship with those kids so when the other big schools come calling we already have a leg up.

"Day by day we get better and better. A team that can't be beat won't be beat." GBR

So, a question for those that know our staff the best ... where does our staff rate against others in developing QB talent? Are we gonna bring this kid in and make him into a Pro prospect or is he just gonna do it on his own?

The best judge of that will be how Taylor plays the next two years. Sure he went to a QB coach a few times in the summer, so does Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and every QB. Its very eay to get into bad habit, and they are hard to break. Beck is new to us but i think he has alot of prior experience coaching QBs. Like Beck said in an interview, they were installing the offense all last year and didnt have time to work with him until this spring, and they cant work with him in the summer. So while im optimistic, only time will tell.

One thing i see already is his ability to judge talented QBs....Jennings Stanton Kincaid Zaire all made the elite 11 finals, all qbs we we were recruiting hard, prior to any of these camps.

Count Gerry DiNardo as someone unimpressed with Stanton:

Gerry DiNardo@gerrydinardo

#Huskers commit Johnny Stanton 6'2" 221 QB - Accurate passer that doesn't always look pretty. Runs well but not dynamic. Good fit 4 Neb O 3*

This is surprising considering how many players DiNardo says are underrated. As he is going through these reviews he most often gives players a higher rating than Scouts has them.

#Huskers commit Johnny Stanton 6'2" 221 QB - Accurate passer that doesn't always look pretty. Runs well but not dynamic. Good fit 4 Neb O 3*

I wouldnt really say he is unimpressed with him? Its the truth, he has a little bit of an awkward motion, he doesnt have RG3 speed, but he gets the job done. Hes just stating the truth IMO. Its what we have been wanting for years, someone who can throw first, and has enough speed and elusiveness to get out of trouble and run for a good chunk of yards.

I wouldnt really say he is unimpressed with him? Its the truth, he has a little bit of an awkward motion, he doesnt have RG3 speed, but he gets the job done. Hes just stating the truth IMO. Its what we have been wanting for years, someone who can throw first, and has enough speed and elusiveness to get out of trouble and run for a good chunk of yards.

Whether it's the truth or not isn't the point. Have you read DiNardo's past tweets about other players? If not, go read some, and see if this is different. Lots of people so far think so, and are wondering why. It's not a big deal, just a curiosity.

• Fire 1

Whether it's the truth or not isn't the point. Have you read DiNardo's past tweets about other players? If not, go read some, and see if this is different. Lots of people so far think so, and are wondering why. It's not a big deal, just a curiosity.

So are we trying to start a B1G Network/DiNardo conspiracy theory now? He also down grades some players as well. I think DiNardo is very honest and calls it as he sees it and I really enjoy his tweets and anytime he is on local radio. I think Johnny's ceiling is very high considering be a 1 QB and hope he continues to work hard and become more polished as a passer. He is already a proven winner at the high school level and I really look forward to the QB competition once Taylor is gone. Should be a good one!

Filling in some blanks, since this is taking on a larger life than I intended with that DiNardo post, here's the conversation between James Babcock and Gerry DiNardo over that tweet:

James Babcock@vuren

@gerrydinardo question about stanton, what do the scouting services see that you disagree with?

@vuren I really don't know. Scout has him as 3* as I do. Remember mine is usually one tape and 140 character evaluation. Not very detailed. <------ Key Post in this exchange

James Babcock@vuren

@gerrydinardo I know, I was meaning more the rivals elite 11 where at one point he was leading the group.

@vuren Not sure James. Don't know much about that group.

James Babcock@vuren

@gerrydinardo fair enough... (there's more to this tweet, but it's not about this topic)

So there you have it. DiNardo made his tweet based off one tape, and the Twitter 140-character limit affected what he said. Not a big deal in the grand scheme.

Actually it is the point, it was my point, my opinion. He is telling the truth based off a very limited film study, that doesnt mean he is unimpressed with him. I love Dinardo he always tells it how it is, Babcock was trying to get his point of view and Gerry said what he thought, which from watching Johnnys film is spot on imo. I guess i just take issue with you saying Dinardo is unimpressed, i dont see him saying that anywhere, he may not be gushing over him, but he admits that he hasnt watched but one film and 140 character evaluation that someone else wrote. Just FYI while im excited about Stanton, i was equally excited about Tommy. I think Beck is an excellent evaluator of the QB position. I dont care if Tommy or Stanton starts in 2014, i just hope one of them turns into the program changing QB that we are looking for.

• Fire 1

Again, go back and read DiNardo's past tweets about players. He gushes about nearly every one. With Stanton he pointed out his flaws, not his strengths. That's odd for DiNardo - odd enough that someone called him out on it, asking why he spoke that way.

The point is that DiNardo's assessment was different from his norm.