Whats dividing this country more?

Nation DIvided  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's far more simple than Religion, Politics or Race - it all boils down to selfishness. Looking out for my interests over those of others', and focusing on them more than the greater good.

This encompasses the behavior we see in the Religious/non-Religious, Political/a-Political, and any difference in any other kind of demographic you can think of, whether that be age, race, geography, etc.

People also lack the ability to foresee what their current ideas/ideals will mean to this country in the future - whether that's because they don't want to have that ability or lack the capacity. Regardless, they're comfortable in their short-sightedness, and that also contributes.

It's not just the haves and have-nots - we've had them since we developed the concept of "worth."

It's not just the religious - we've had religion since before we had writing.

It's not politics - politics have existed since before humans were human.

It's simple, basic selfishness.

• Fire 1

To me this question is born from the fallacy that there was some magical period of harmony in our history where all Americans linked arm and arm and gloried in our oneness, which is, pardon the French, complete bullsh#t. People forget this is the same country that fought a Civil War. That's division.

Most of our seemingly polarized political climate is the product of allowing television and specifically cable television to set the tone of political discourse. But TV doesn't care what's true, only what's sensational and sells, what voices attract the most attention. Those voices tend to scream instead of talk mildly and intelligently. Turn off the TV and talk radio for a month and then ask yourself how divided everything feels.

To me this question is born from the fallacy that there was some magical period of harmony in our history where all Americans linked arm and arm and gloried in our oneness, which is, pardon the French, complete bullsh#t. People forget this is the same country that fought a Civil War. That's division.

Most of our seemingly polarized political climate is the product of allowing television and specifically cable television to set the tone of political discourse. But TV doesn't care what's true, only what's sensational and sells, what voices attract the most attention. Those voices tend to scream instead of talk mildly and intelligently. Turn off the TV and talk radio for a month and then ask yourself how divided everything feels.

Early 1800's Presidential elections were way worse than now. The press supporting each candidate would blast the opponent with unfounded stories on all sorts of immoral behavior. Fights on the floor of Congress.

Early 1800's Presidential elections were way worse than now. The press supporting each candidate would blast the opponent with unfounded stories on all sorts of immoral behavior. Fights on the floor of Congress.

No kidding. Charges of treason flew like confetti.

How about stupidity/ignorance.

Though I suppose if we were all stupid and ignorant we might get along better.

I actually think the "division" is more of a media-manufactured thing. Or at least it's exaggerated by the media.There are always going to be crazy opposing factions but I like to think the middle 80% of humans is normal.

• Fire 1