http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/62695/b1g-position-rankings-rb-individual

2. Rex Burkhead, Nebraska, senior: It's a very close call between Burkhead and Penn State's Silas Redd for the No. 2 spot, but Burkhead gets a slight edge. He did it all for Nebraska in 2011, rushing for 1,357 yards and 15 touchdowns and adding 21 receptions for 177 yards and two scores. Burkhead showed he could handle a featured back's carries load -- and then some. He's one of the hardest-wording, most likable players in college football and deserves to get more national attention.

Pretty much. I don't expect him to get the nod over Ball as best in the conference. I'm hoping he doesn't get as worked this season though. As much as I like Ameer, we need Rex healthy through conference play or we might be in trouble.

Sad he's a senior already.

Ball has obviously been a part of better overall teams. Rex is Rex, though. He brings a lot to the table that's not just his athletic talent.

Has Ball played on better teams or have other players simply had the privilege of playing around Ball?

Ball has obviously been a part of better overall teams. Rex is Rex, though. He brings a lot to the table that's not just his athletic talent.

Has Ball played on better teams or have other players simply had the privilege of playing around Ball?

I think that Ball is the better overall RB, but you can't deny that he has played behind some monster bulldozer offensive lines, has had solid QB play up to this point, and last year Toon and Abbrederis (sp?) were pretty stellar. If I am an NFL team looking for a good RB, no doubt in my mind I take Ball over Burkhead, but I still wouldn't trade the two at this point in time based on my loyalty to Rex and the way his career has played out thus far.

Definitely the first IMO. I've never been impressed with Ball - he's a good RB, don't get me wrong. But I'd take a bunch of other backs from around the country ahead of Ball. You probably feel the same about Burkhead.

Definitely the first IMO. I've never been impressed with Ball - he's a good RB, don't get me wrong. But I'd take a bunch of other backs from around the country ahead of Ball. You probably feel the same about Burkhead.

This got me to thinking about how Ball stacks up against some of our former backs...

Ball vs. Burkhead - I'd take Ball

Ball vs. Helu - not sure who I'd take, Helu is more dangerous but did fumble once in awhile.

Ball vs. Lucky - Ball all day long

Ball vs. Buckhalter - I'd take Ball

Ball vs. Dan Alexander - I'd take Ball

Ball vs. Ahman - Ahman without a question

Ball vs. LP - LP without a question and it's not even close.

Ball vs. Calvin Jones - Ball

Ball vs. Derek Brown - Ball

Ball's a good back, better than what we get normally IMO but still, there are lots of backs from around the country that come to mind in the past 5 years that I'd take over him. He is the best in the Big 10 though.

This got me to thinking about how Ball stacks up against some of our former backs...

Ball vs. Burkhead - I'd take Ball

Ball vs. Helu - not sure who I'd take, Helu is more dangerous but did fumble once in awhile.

Ball vs. Lucky - Ball all day long

Ball vs. Buckhalter - I'd take Ball

Ball vs. Dan Alexander - I'd take Ball

Ball vs. Ahman - Ahman without a question

Ball vs. LP - LP without a question and it's not even close.

Ball vs. Calvin Jones - Ball

Ball vs. Derek Brown - Ball

Ball's a good back, better than what we get normally IMO but still, there are lots of backs from around the country that come to mind in the past 5 years that I'd take over him. He is the best in the Big 10 though.

Could you imagine the numbers Buckhalter could have put up without Alexander? Or vice versa. Same with Calvin and Derek! If one was the feature back like Ball is or like Rex is. The numbers might change your mind!
  • Fire 1

I wouldn't take ball over Derek Brown or Calvin Jones.

I agree w the other takes though.

Ball scored a ton of td last year, often times even up very very big late in games, trying to reach Sanders record. I was actually a little disappointed at times that he was still in the game scoring from 2-3 yds out when backups were responsible for getting the team in position.

Calvin and Derek oftentimes wouldn't play a single down in the late 3rd-entire 4th qtr. and still finish w a couple scores and a 6 yd average.

Ball is the best in B1G this yr, no doubt, but he's kind of a stat whore

• Fire 1

I wouldn't take ball over Derek Brown or Calvin Jones.

I agree w the other takes though.

Ball scored a ton of td last year, often times even up very very big late in games, trying to reach Sanders record. I was actually a little disappointed at times that he was still in the game scoring from 2-3 yds out when backups were responsible for getting the team in position.

Calvin and Derek oftentimes wouldn't play a single down in the late 3rd-entire 4th qtr. and still finish w a couple scores and a 6 yd average.

Ball is the best in B1G this yr, no doubt, but he's kind of a stat whore

Yeah.... Derek and calvin would each get like 10-15 carries for 100 each in blowouts and never see the field again! If one was featured getting 20-25 carries a game and we were pushing a heisman campaign, I don't see a distinct advantage ball would have! Plus we ran our FB and QB inside the 5. Taking away TDs for our backs. Didn't ball lead the nation in carries inside the 5?

Ball certainly benefits from the system Wisconsin runs, there's no questioning that. He's a great back. Rex is a great back. Swap places and Rex may have similar numbers...really any back with a solid set of skills is going to do well at UW. That's really all that can be said at this point.

Oh sure, Ball is a fine runningback and all. But I'd be concerned about his character issues. What with all of the porch drinking he does. And gets busted for. The guy is a troublemaker. :lol: