Another poll to tackle @ SBNation. T.O. vs Hayden Fry vs Bo Schembechler vs Jim Tressel

Fry was a great coach and mentor to alot of people in todays game. Just look at the list of guys that learned from him: Bill Snyder, Dan McCartney, Barry Alvarez, Bob and Mike Stoops, Jim Leavitt, Chuck Long, Brett Bielema and Bo also coached under him. The guy might not of won alot of games but he was a great teacher.

Schembechler is still to me one of the most overrated coaches ever.

Yes he had a good record - 234–65–8...

But his bowl record was 5-12 and he never won a national title.

Heck his best team was the 1985 team that beat Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl 27-23.. and Nebraska wasn't even that good that year. (It was Steve Taylor's freshman year and our QB's were primarily McCathorn Clayton and Travis Turner)

Tom Osborne had about a dozen teams that would absolutely steamroll any team Schembechler ever had.

Also. Schembechler is famous for only winning fewer than 8 games once (He won fewer than 8 games in 1984 going 6-6 and he won exactly 8 games 5 times)... But Osborne NEVER won fewer than 9 games in his entire career and certainly never went. anywhere close to going 500 in any season.

Heck Schembechler LOST 4 or more games in a season 4 times at Michigan. Tom Osborne never in his career lost more than 3 games in any one season.

Fry had a fine career.. but at Iowa alone he went 143-89-6, went 6-7-1 in bowl games, won 3 Big Ten titles and zero national titles. Very good by Iowa standards, but not Elite.

Tressel only coached at Ohio State for 10 years, going a very good 94-21 overall, went 5–4 in bowl games, he won 6 Conference titles and 1 National Title. However he ended his college career at Ohio State in scandal.

255-49-3 (.836) overall, 12-13 (.480) bowl record, 13 Conference Titles, 3 National Championships. - All wins at Nebraska

229–79–2 (.742)[ overall 5-4 (.555) bowl record, 6 Conference Titles, 1 National Championship. - went 94-21 (.817) at Ohio State

234–65–8 (.762) overall, 5-12 (.312) bowl record, 13 Conference Titles, 0 National Championships - went 194-48-5 (.795) at Michigan

232–178–10 (.552) overall, 7–9–1 (.428) bowl record, 3 Conference Titles, 0 National Championships - was just143-89-6 (.600) at Iowa

One of those is CLEARLY above the others.

Iowa fans are savaging TO over the Phillips thing, claiming he was a "win at all costs coach," etc. Just get out there and vote, beat their a$$es just like we did and will continue to do in football. The word must be getting out, T.O. is ahead on Fry 50-45, by 300+ votes overall now. Keep it up, repost on fb and twitter, etc.

Iowa fans are savaging TO over the Phillips thing, claiming he was a "win at all costs coach," etc.

I don't agree with how it was handled (though I've never thought of it as a black and white issue), but I never once thought Osborne was doing it to win. He was doing it to help a kid. Phillips was a great player but we could have won the national championship with Sims as the starting running back.

• Fire 2

I don't agree with how it was handled (though I've never thought of it as a black and white issue), but I never once thought Osborne was doing it to win. He was doing it to help a kid. Phillips was a great player but we could have won the national championship with Sims as the starting running back.

Yep, I'm right there with you. I think it's helpful to Osborne's case that no one in their right mind could claim he actually needed Phillips in 1995. That team was a juggernaut.