Jim Delany wants power to fire B1G coaches

Nexus

The Big Ten is mulling a proposal that would give its commissioner, already one of the most powerful men in college sports, the authority to fire coaches himself, The Chronicle reports today.

The proposal, part of a plan being circulated among Big Ten leaders, would give James E. Delany, who has overseen the league since 1989, and a powerful committee of conference presidents the ability to penalize individual members of an institution, should their actions significantly harm the league’s reputation.

The sanctions, spelled out in a document obtained by The Chronicle, could include financial penalties, suspension, or termination of employment.

The proposal, which has not been approved, is part of an 18-page plan prompted by problems at Penn State, where a former assistant football coach repeatedly molested children on campus property while university leaders turned a blind eye.

The ideas are designed in part to root out problems that could include coaches or athletic officials who interfere with normal admissions, compliance, hiring, or disciplinary processes, the document says.

The plan calls for Big Ten universities to empower presidents and athletic directors and have policies to dissuade rogue boosters and trustees with inappropriate involvement in programs from trying to influence university leaders’ decisions.

Continue Reading

I agree with a few other comments I've seen, that I doubt the schools are going to be willing to give up that kind of authority to the conference. But that being said, from what I've read of the proposal, he alone wouldn't the authority to fire. The only way he would be able to do so would be in conjunction with the committee of conference presidents. But at this point, with the severity of the scandal, I'm sure they're looking at all options right now to curb any hint of scandalous behavior going forward. I think this type of power still needs to be kept in the hands of the individual schools, though.

would delaney have even known enough about the penn. st. scandal to have fired joe pa? not only is this too late, it would have been ineffective even if it was in place when it needed to. it may be hard to fire coaches at major institutions (e.g. saban, as cowherd pointed out this morning), but if this scandal was brought to the public earlier, joe pa would have been immediately fired.

I liked Jim, but am slowly losing respect, he's a damn clown. Let's propose that's the B1G coaches have the power to fire him by popular vote, it's only fair right?

Strictly to play devil's advocate. Do you agree that the conference should be allowed to kick PSU out of the conference if it feels that PSU has embarrassed the conference? What is being proposed is a council of presidents to develop sanctions if a coach embarrasses the conference (which may include termination at the extreme) which would be carried out by Delaney, its not Delaney that would be holding all this power. Also, remember that Delaney does not make these decisions, if you feel this is a stupid idea and it gets approved call the university presidents "clowns," not Delaney he does not get to make unilateral changes to B1G bylaws.

I should clarify that I don't agree with the proposal (this was for arguing purposes only) and that the conference should hold the schools accountable, not an individual, but do remember who to direct your frustration at: Delaney only has as much power as the presidents extend to him.

• Fire 1

Is he high?

maybe, and i am not sure how i feel about this, but who at penn. st. could have fired joe pa? the only way is with extreme outside pressure because the cover-up was exposed. heck, joe pa renegotiated his contract in light of the impending scandal.

the problem is, it was a cover-p and by nature unknown to anyone on the outside. so what could delaney or any outside entity have done?