Fan Expectations

I believe coaches and players want to believe that Taylor will be better, Heck I do too.. I'm just positioned as is... until proven otherwise.

This argument doesn't make sense to me. Taylor improved significantly from his freshman to sophomore campaigns

But a lot of people disagree with that (I'm not one of them)

Those people are idiots.

• Fire 1

lol idiots? how did he improve in 11 vs 10? he still hasnt ran as well as he did his first 5 games of his career.

2010 stats: passing 116-196-7 for 1631yds 59.2%

rushing 162 at for 965 yds

2011 stats: Passing 162-288-8 2089yds 56.2%

rushing 188at 874yds

Where is the improvement? He had more yards passing in 11 vs 10 but he threw about 90 more times over the course of the season...

lol idiots? how did he improve in 11 vs 10? he still hasnt ran as well as he did his first 5 games of his career.

rushing 188at 874yds

Where is the improvement? He had more yards passing in 11 vs 10 but he threw about 90 more times over the course of the season...

He was in a different offense too, so to put up the same kind of numbers was encouraging. I think his game managing and decision making improved greatly over his freshman season.

Comparing Martinez's freshmen and sophomore years we can at least say there wasn't a digression. Sure some may say his passing took a step back, but even playing on that not 100% recovered turf toe and ankle sprain the stats are pretty similar. So I would say that his passing is a push. Neither went up nor down.. just a poor passing motion. But he made progress in managing the game with fewer turnovers, ect. This isn't all on Martinez though. If the whole team gets better as a unit, defensively, receivers catching balls, fewer mental mistakes, better o-line play... LOOK OUT!... This could be fun.

rushing 188at 874yds

Yeah, I thought in my head "I bet when I call these people idiots someone will fire back with statistics to try and prove their point". Pretty typical "Lies, damned lies and statistics" situation.

All you have to do is actually watch him play each season to see that it's pretty obvious he improved significantly as a quarterback. Or just watch this one play:

If we lose more than 2 games I will be disappointed. I think we have a shot at 11-1. OSU and Mich. worry me the most.

I agree, a lot of people will still be worried about Wisconsin but honestly I think we get revenge, shut down ball and obrian will be flustered after the first quarter playing in the biggest stadium in his career

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. You have to understand the context of the statistics in question first before you can make any assumption of improvement.

The assumption of improvement can not be based on the statistics, because there are no statistics for this year yet. Right. :D

If we lose more than 2 games I will be disappointed. I think we have a shot at 11-1. OSU and Mich. worry me the most.

I'll be shocked if we make 10-2. Far too many ass whoopings last year and pieces missing from the defense to expect to reach that mark. OSU and Michigan are two pretty likely losses, Wisconsin is a tough one, plus trips to MSU, Iowa, and Northwestern will yield at least one loss. I think a realistic expectation is 8-4 or 9-3 if the annual choke is avoided.

I agree with you, OP. Its doesn't look good.

You bring up great points. My bullet point is losing the best player in every layer of the defense.... on a defense that was less than stellar.

Whenever I talk to other fans about the season they always start going down the schedule... and I always say, following a schedule for a bo pelini helmed team is like going by what the weather man says. Always a game we lose that we should win easily, and we always lose at least one game that will take us to the next level. i.e. Texas, Wisconsin, etc.

Also... Its my theory that the way Bo is constantly reminding the team of what they are capable of, and enthusiasm of high cielings contributes to our emotional play. It plays into the way we collectively give up when we're down a few scores in Wisconsin. It plays into us sluffing off an entire week of practice because we know we're better than Northwestern.

Martinez hasn't "improved" ( you can not fill air between the ears in 1 offseason )

I stopped reading after this. The fact that you think Martinez is stupid, and his problems are mental tells me you don't know WTF.

so are you saying he lacks the athleticism? the only issue w/ his passing is footwork/motion? I'd say 90% of his improvement last year was mental. I'd say 90% of where he needs to go in order to be a great QB is still mental. So yeah, most of his problems are mental. Implying he lacks the brains to make those improvements however is WTF, he'll get there. But most of his potential does still lie between his ears.