Huskers Looking to shore up underperforming D-line

1091465.jpg

Looking to shore up underperforming line

By Eric Olson, Associated Press, Posted Aug 7, 2012 www.bigredreport.com

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- The numbers show Nebraska's defense has lost its intimidation factor. The job of getting it back starts on the line, which has been a shell of its former self since Ndamukong Suh left after the 2009 season.

Opponents last season rushed for the second-most yards against the Cornhuskers since 1977, and Nebraska's 21 sacks were its second-fewest since the statistic was first officially tracked in 1981.

LINK

Gave up second the most rushing yards since 1977. That is a sad stat.

I remember at the beginning of last year thinking our D-Line would be a strength of the team. Wrong. :facepalm:

• Fire 1

Yeah...I heard from "insider" sources on other sites that the d-line last year was going to be nasty and that the offensive line were a bunch o "wussies" so to speak. Well....as the season started and went on, I quickly realized that the insider info. was the complete opposite of what I saw with my own eyes.

Last year's defensive line play was unacceptable. I made excuses for them early on, citing "that's how the defense is" among other things. Now, however, it's more than obvious our play was insufficient. I'm hoping the inclusion of a B1G defensive line coach will shore up some of our deficiencies, because we simply can't play like we did last year again, regardless of what scheme we have.

I'm not a technique guru and usually only catch the large mistakes players make, but it often looked like opponents were stronger and more developed than we were. Sure, our defense asks the line to plug up holes so our linebackers can make tackles, but sometimes you just have to get rough and physical, and I don't remember seeing a lot of that. We can't rely solely on coverage sacks and blitzes - we need players who can outgun the guy across from them.

Last year was like watching two people play patty cake.

I was encouraged when I read this:

"Meredith said new line coach Rick Kaczenski is stressing the importance of playing aggressively."

Good! I would LOVE to see the return of smashmouth Nebraska football!

ok, now i feel better, someone came along and told our guys to play more aggressively.......that should fix everything.

"Meredith said new line coach Rick Kaczenski is stressing the importance of playing aggressively."

ok, now i feel better, someone came along and told our guys to play more aggressively.......that should fix everything.

I was one of the only people saying the Dline would be weak last summer/fall and pretty much got called to the carpet for it. I will say they will be better this year. I haven't he a chance to talk with Kaz but as I said a week or so ago Bo liked several of his ideas and he chanced the way the Dline played in his system. Many things are the same technique wise but the assignments are different and we play with a forward mottion more,rather than a read and react on the line level. They also will help the guy next to the more so each guy isn't always on an island by himself which should open some things up for the Ends and the LBs. If the secondary has improved as much as I hope then we should see the sack total a TFL go up as well. I'm still a little worried on the containment of the running QB but that's because I didn't understand everything they were doing to help that but if your rush ends have more freedom and are getting help from some directional things in the middle that should allow them to be at the the QB faster and keep some scrambling from happening. It sounds like both JP and Joesph have asked for more blitzing and have come up with some new ideas to disguise that too. I'm more excited about some of these things this year than I am about the offense this year.

I was one of the only people saying the Dline would be weak last summer/fall and pretty much got called to the carpet for it. I will say they will be better this year. I haven't he a chance to talk with Kaz but as I said a week or so ago Bo liked several of his ideas and he chanced the way the Dline played in his system. Many things are the same technique wise but the assignments are different and we play with a forward mottion more,rather than a read and react on the line level. They also will help the guy next to the more so each guy isn't always on an island by himself which should open some things up for the Ends and the LBs. If the secondary has improved as much as I hope then we should see the sack total a TFL go up as well. I'm still a little worried on the containment of the running QB but that's because I didn't understand everything they were doing to help that but if your rush ends have more freedom and are getting help from some directional things in the middle that should allow them to be at the the QB faster and keep some scrambling from happening. It sounds like both JP and Joesph have asked for more blitzing and have come up with some new ideas to disguise that too. I'm more excited about some of these things this year than I am about the offense this year.

And your really excited about the offense right? chuckleshuffle

And your really excited about the offense right? chuckleshuffle

I'm looking forward to more passing and Taylor being close to his old speed. I think like every year it will hinge on line and I'm not sure I'm sold on that yet. I'll know more in about two weeks after some actual practices. I do think our running game will be better but I think that will be because our passing will set up bigger runs. I think back to how Ross got some big runs and how Lucky got a lot of check downs his Jr year. I don't think we have the ability to move the defense like we need just yet. But I haven't talked to anyone about he olives summer yet either other than about a few personality issues.

It worried me that in Bo's 5th year, a D lineman actually says that the D Line coach wants them attacking. Other than SUH, the one man attack machine, it makes sense. Plug the line and let the LB's and DB's make the plays. Cam also talked about the coach wanting them to get vertical (I ASSume this means up field). Sounds like Kaz is what the Dr ordered for some of our woes. I like to hear how Joseph is wanting the DB's to be more physical, I like that Pap and Joseph want more blitzes. I also like that the D line coach is telling the kids to attack and get up the field. An attacking line will force the mobile QB's outside into the DB's instead of allowing them to break contain from a well set pocket, or down the line with no collapse and the O line stringing our guys out.

Just the idea of attacking instead of getting manhandled has got to help. That stand up, patty cake, 2 yrds off the LOS sucked.

Good stuff. Appreciate the info.

More blitzing & unleashing Caveman and the other DEs more? Wow......the very, very finest music to my ears. Major props to Bo for going to more of an attack defense. It might give up a few more points on average but the 3 & outs, TOP & turnovers are all on our side. Even better, we certainly should be better (finally!) vs mobil qbs.

Yes, Bo chews up and spits out pocket qbs with the greatest of ease but qbs who can really run have been a BIG problem for a long time. This should help a lot and it's high time that it's being taken care of.

Thanks DaSkers!

The B1G Nebraska review was on last night and Bo said it himself. They are going to play more aggressive D this year.