SIGNED (2013) PG Tai Webster

I didn't get to watch or even listen to the second half, but if Benny didn't play much I assume that would be a huge mistake. He responds really well against bigger players and can create TO's upfront which it sounds like we needed. unfortunately though when the refs decide to be against a team then it is really hard to overcome that as well.

• 6 months later...

Miles said @Tjawtherula is more aggressive and confident than ever. Will play both PG and SG, but might be at his best at SG. #Nebrasketball

2013-14: 30% FG, 17% 3PT, 62% FT

I hope Miles is right.

He was a freshman and it took time for him to get accustom to the speed of the game. This pretty typical for a freshman in college basketball. Plus, we had very little choice due to lack of depth.

Miles said @Tjawtherula is more aggressive and confident than ever. Will play both PG and SG, but might be at his best at SG. #Nebrasketball

I hope Miles is right.

He was a freshman and it took time for him to get accustom to the speed of the game. This pretty typical for a freshman in college basketball. Plus, we had very little choice due to lack of depth.

Actually in today's college basketball, it's not common for a freshman.

Robin Washut@RobinWashut 7m7 minutes ago

I hope Miles is right.

Dont get him started. I had this conversation with him pages back. He thinks all freshman need 2 years to get acclimated to the speed of D1 BB. Even though I told him his international experience should resemble the speed. And even if he needed some time. I told him that by conference play he should've been acclimated. Then I asked him how it is that he got worse as the year went on and I got more freshman can't be expected to Blah blah blah.
  • Fire 1

Robin Washut@RobinWashut 7m7 minutes ago

I hope Miles is right.

Dont get him started. I had this conversation with him pages back. He thinks all freshman need 2 years to get acclimated to the speed of D1 BB. Even though I told him his international experience should resemble the speed. And even if he needed some time. I told him that by conference play he should've been acclimated. Then I asked him how it is that he got worse as the year went on and I got more freshman can't be expected to Blah blah blah.

Jarvis has spoken. Jarvis shall be heard!

Actually, neither is "un-common" in college basketball. Freshmen come in every year that need a year or so to get acclimated to the speed of the game. You don't hear about them because they are many times sitting on the bench to contribute later in their career. Then, you also hear about freshmen coming in and playing very well and not having a problem with it.

Just because you look around college basketball and see some true freshmen contributing and playing very well doesn't mean they all do. AND, just because one doesn't contribute right away as a freshmen doesn't mean they won't later in their career.

Most times when a freshman comes in with a ton of hype, they play much better. Tai's hype was unwarranted. The kid has talent but he was playing in a different style.

When a kid is a top 10 normally they are playing AAU ball and playing against the best. When they get to the college game, the speed isnt that much faster. For Tai, he was just playing against poor talent...He came in thinking he was so great and got slapped in the face... He didnt handle it well.

Lets not forget, this kid is 19 years old. He is 2000+ miles from home and was struggling.... He just couldnt pull himself from the rut.

He had an awful year. But lets not bury the kid until we see how he grows/changes. He doesnt have the weight of the world on his shoulders... tons of great options. Tai can play the 2 guard(where i think he belongs).

Most times when a freshman comes in with a ton of hype, they play much better. Tai's hype was unwarranted. The kid has talent but he was playing in a different style.

When a kid is a top 10 normally they are playing AAU ball and playing against the best. When they get to the college game, the speed isnt that much faster. For Tai, he was just playing against poor talent...He came in thinking he was so great and got slapped in the face... He didnt handle it well.

Lets not forget, this kid is 19 years old. He is 2000+ miles from home and was struggling.... He just couldnt pull himself from the rut.

He had an awful year. But lets not bury the kid until we see how he grows/changes. He doesnt have the weight of the world on his shoulders... tons of great options. Tai can play the 2 guard(where i think he belongs).

A slashing/drive and dish 2 guard. Cause I don't see a good shooter. I think he could be a playmaker and a big guard to defend other big guards. I watched him in the worlds or whatever it was called. He doesn't have the makeup to me to be an alpha type on the court. On some of his outside shots I wonder if he needs glasses. I'm not ready to bury Tai, I hope he comes around. And I'll gladly eat it if he does. But I don't see it. I don't see anything in his body language that tells me he's a confident player. And this was on his national team. My criticism of him was at the end of conference play last year when he was losing minutes to Benny. He had a good 20-25 games in. He wasn't getting even minutely better. He was getting worse and he himself carried that in his body language.

A slashing/drive and dish 2 guard. Cause I don't see a good shooter. I think he could be a playmaker and a big guard to defend other big guards. I watched him in the worlds or whatever it was called. He doesn't have the makeup to me to be an alpha type on the court. On some of his outside shots I wonder if he needs glasses. I'm not ready to bury Tai, I hope he comes around. And I'll gladly eat it if he does. But I don't see it. I don't see anything in his body language that tells me he's a confident player. And this was on his national team. My criticism of him was at the end of conference play last year when he was losing minutes to Benny. He had a good 20-25 games in. He wasn't getting even minutely better. He was getting worse and he himself carried that in his body language.

I AGREE HERE. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT IT CAN'T GET MUCH WORSE FOR TAI THAN LAST YEAR. AND IF MILES IS CONFIDENT, I HAVE NO REASON TO ARGUE.

Actually, neither is "un-common" in college basketball. Freshmen come in every year that need a year or so to get acclimated to the speed of the game. You don't hear about them because they are many times sitting on the bench to contribute later in their career. Then, you also hear about freshmen coming in and playing very well and not having a problem with it.

Just because you look around college basketball and see some true freshmen contributing and playing very well doesn't mean they all do. AND, just because one doesn't contribute right away as a freshmen doesn't mean they won't later in their career.

My issue isn't so much about some freshman being ready sooner than others or that some guys need a year to redshirt and learn. I get it. Some freshman are better prepared for the stage. My point was that we out of necessity had to start Tai. And rely on him heavily because of depth. And he was swimming in it at times. Growing pains understood. My problem was the lack of any tangible sign of improvement. After half way through conference play, he to me, was no longer a freshman. So judging his play after 20 games, he regressed from what I considered shaky play for the first 20 games. They he got worse.

I'm telling you now that Tai is a far better shooter than he showed last year. I was fortunate to spend a little time with the team this summer and Tai was shooting lights out. Athletically he is a much different person as well. I will be very surprised if the work he put in this off season doesnt translate.

Man, people need to lay off of Tai. Yes he didn't respond well to adversity and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, but I think he will be fine. Why? Because he definitely showed flashes of being a really good player on D and on O we just didn't have the depth to be able to bring him out all of the time for a teaching moment. That's when Miles realized that Benny's Defensive prowess out weighed the flashes of being good by Tai. There are LOTS of players who go through the same type of struggles as he did last year. I will definitely wait until after this season to say he is not going to get any better, which I don't think will happen.

My issue isn't so much about some freshman being ready sooner than others or that some guys need a year to redshirt and learn. I get it. Some freshman are better prepared for the stage. My point was that we out of necessity had to start Tai. And rely on him heavily because of depth. And he was swimming in it at times. Growing pains understood. My problem was the lack of any tangible sign of improvement. After half way through conference play, he to me, was no longer a freshman. So judging his play after 20 games, he regressed from what I considered shaky play for the first 20 games. They he got worse.

I can't argue with that. However, my only counter point is that sometimes the some players find it hard to get out of a slump in the middle of a season. Their struggles get into their head and they just can't shake it. Sometimes they need an off season to take a deep breath, sit back and analyze what they need to work on. Work on that and gain confidence to come back the next year.

Is that going to happen with him? Nobody knows. But, I'm not willing to write the kid off because he struggled his freshman year.