The idea for the series began with ESPN.com columnist Bill Simmons, who wanted feature filmmakers to recount the sports stories, people, and events from the past 3 decades which they (1) took a personal interest or involvement in, however great or small, and (2) felt hadn't been fully explored. Simmons and his team took special interest to "stories that resonated at the time but were eventually forgotten for whatever reason."

LINK

The 90s Husker run would make a GREAT 30 for 30 episode -- in my extremely biased opinion. They could feature the rise of NU dominance in the mid 90s, and include subplots on Tommy and Brook, the LP debacle, the Pipeline, and TOs coaching performance culmination. I doubt there are very many football fans outside of Husker nation who remember all of these subplots.

I thought the whole theme around 30 for 30 was to create documentaries for B-side stories that would be forgotten otherwise...not sure if the Huskers' run would fall into that category :)

Agree.

It just wouldn't be a good story. The 30 for 30 stuff usually focuses on the underpinnings of the team/athlete and how it affected the greater society. Miami's episode was pretty good about showing a team's rise to prominence and how it was able to unify a city that was on the brink of race riots. The Huskers were a great dynasty but the greater impact just isn't there.

'the pony excess' makes me laugh because they act like it was the death penalty that ruined them. other than texas and aTm to a certain extent, all those schools have been jokes ever since they stopped cheating, not to mention they were not that good even back then. both miami and smu act like they were the only ones to be dominate and it has never happened again, completely forgetting our great decade of dominance.

I'd rather not. I remember 60 minutes ripping us hard in the 90's; skewing details to make it seem like we were Hoodlum University (which Tom was extremely upset about).

30 for 30 did the same thing with Miami (albeit Miami made it extremely easy for them). We don't want to go down that road again.

Since when did it become a problem to be proud of Nebraska history? Where did this batch of self-loathing Husker fans come from? Someone mentions the 1990s and suddenly we all have to worry that we're some kind of anachronism.

There are some fans who can walk and chew gum at the same time. I know I have no problem remembering our great teams of the past decades while at the same time realistically focusing on the team as it is today. Maybe others have that problem. Sucks to be them.

• Fire 4

The miami one makes me shake my head. They were irrelevant before. They were irreleavant for 5 years or so after. Snuk up and won another one in 2001, and have been irrelevant since. And they way they all act just makes me sick. Glorifying their arrogance and acting like they revolutionized this and that.

• Fire 1

The miami one makes me shake my head. They were irrelevant before. They were irreleavant for 5 years or so after. Snuk up and won another one in 2001, and have been irrelevant since. And they way they all act just makes me sick. Glorifying their arrogance and acting like they revolutionized this and that.

it makes it fun to watch them lose, though.

i completely agree, as i watched it i wondered how these guys can be proud that they acted like they did and be proud that they put such a negative name to the university of miami. it is one thing to win, but its a whole different thing to win and show zero class while your doing it.