Nebraska to launch Rex Burkhead Heisman website

GSG

Barkley can hardly be asked to do better. He has always been a tremendous talent and has developed into a really fine player for SC. Apart from not playing for Nebraska, what is there to really take away from him? One of the nation's best QBs and the Heisman favorite.

As he should. His stats were better than Peyton Manning's Sr year stats. If Barkley improves just a little bit then he should get most of the votes.

See, I know that you're right but my hatred of Southern Cal prevents me from agreeing with you.

Im in the same boat as you. Ive hated USC since the early 00's and its because of their fanbase. I remember being on the ESPN college football board (when it was good) and the usc fans were just annoying and thought USC was the best thing since sliced bread.

Rex isn't even going to be a finalist. Even if his stats inch him into the top 5, he lacks the flash that all Heisman finalists need.

Ah, flash.... Playing for a program under NCAA sanctions, or getting mugged by a handful of guys for "unknown" reasons.... The only thing that Burkhead is lacking is that Heisman moment. The respectability, quality citizenship, and most importantly the game is all very Heisman like. Rex is what college athletics should be all about.

So Barkley isn't a quality citizen because Reggie Bush cheated?

Ball isn't respectable because he was mugged?

Come on. Make this about why Burkhead will be 2012's most outstanding collegiate football player. Taking cheap shots at kids who are more likely to win just isn't classy. Burkhead would never do that.

It wasn't a shot at Barkley, or Ball; rather a shot at how the media decides to cover athletes these days. Barkley, and Ball seem to be fine citizens, but part of their familiarity in the public eye is because of the situations that they are involved in, even if they weren't directly involved like in Barkley's case. Ball is slightly different, because while he in no way deserved what happen to him, it does seem that it MIGHT have been provoked in some way.

Barkley, and Ball are very legitimate Heisman contenders, however my point was, that Burkhead hasn't been involved in a national story, or scandal (unsolicited or not). Personally, I feel he is every bit of the RB that Ball is, and every bit the Heisman contender that Barkley is....

Looking back at my original post, it did read like I was taking a shot at the gentlemen, but that wasn't my intentions.

Realy? Burkhead is every bit the heisman contender that Barkley is? Really? You have got to be kiidding me..You're saying Burkhead is on the same level as Barkley? I understand drinking the kool aid but youve just dranked a whole 10 gallons of it and that is not good for you.. Barkley is one of the top players in college football. Burkhead is an amazing rb but he isnt even close to barkley's caliber. Burkhead had only THREE games in which he had run that went for over a 20 yards and Monte Ball only had three games in which he didnt bust a run that wasnt longer than 20 yards. Burkhead is a good running back and will keep the chains moving but he doesnt have the flash or big play ability that all the other heisman candidates have.

And, this is why this award is actually a TEAM award. There is not ONE RB that has won this award by himself. Not ONE RB that has won it could have done it without a decent O line ahead of him and a QB's passing or offensive system that opened up running plays.

If you look back at highlights of Mike Rozier, so often there wasn't anyone around him for 10 yards. Someone claimed that his YPC isn't good enough. Don't you think the Oline has something to do with that? I firmly believe that if Burkhead and Ball were on the same team, Either one could start and have similar type stats.

This award is a joke and Suh's final ranking proves it. This award is for the best RB or QB that is playing on the best team that ESPN likes. Simple as that. I would love to see Rex in NYC at the end of the year. But, I'm not going to lose sleep over it if he isn't. I'm already happy he plays for us.

• Fire 3

And, this is why this award is actually a TEAM award. There is not ONE RB that has won this award by himself. Not ONE RB that has won it could have done it without a decent O line ahead of him and a QB's passing or offensive system that opened up running plays.

If you look back at highlights of Mike Rozier, so often there wasn't anyone around him for 10 yards. Someone claimed that his YPC isn't good enough. Don't you think the Oline has something to do with that? I firmly believe that if Burkhead and Ball were on the same team, Either one could start and have similar type stats.

This award is a joke and Suh's final ranking proves it. This award is for the best RB or QB that is playing on the best team that ESPN likes. Simple as that. I would love to see Rex in NYC at the end of the year. But, I'm not going to lose sleep over it if he isn't. I'm already happy he plays for us.

I agree that its a team award and Suh should have gotten it a few years ago but i dont agree with the fact that ball and burkhead would put up similiar stats. Ball is quicker, faster and breaks more tackles than burkhead. Burkhead is a great running back in the sense that he will give you 2 or 3 yards everytime because he falls forward. I wouldnt say Rex is top 10 when it comes to Nebraska running backs, maybe just outside of the top 10. That isnt a diss on him because Nebraska has had A LOT of really good backs in its history.

I agree that its a team award and Suh should have gotten it a few years ago but i dont agree with the fact that ball and burkhead would put up similiar stats. Ball is quicker, faster and breaks more tackles than burkhead. Burkhead is a great running back in the sense that he will give you 2 or 3 yards everytime because he falls forward. I wouldnt say Rex is top 10 when it comes to Nebraska running backs, maybe just outside of the top 10. That isnt a diss on him because Nebraska has had A LOT of really good backs in its history.

I would probably tend to agree with this. But that's not going to stop me from pimping Rex to be in New York when they hand out the hardware. Rex is better than we've been shown simply because our O Lines haven't blocked as well. Even with a 1990s Pipeline Offensive Line, Rex may not be as good as Ball. But he's our guy, and I'm not inclined to be objective about it. :D

To the OP, am I not the only one that doesn't like these 'pimp so-and-so for hypesman' gimmicks? Sure Rex is a great player, and deserves accolades, but it is a team game first. Like a few mentioned already, if your team performs well, the individual honors will follow. I don't see the point in artificially creating individual distractions (granted, Rex has a good head on his shoulders and probably wouldn't be affected by it) when this team has shown over the last few years that it is hard enough concentrating on what they need to do on the field.

One person can't make a team win. A team can make one person win.

To the OP, am I not the only one that doesn't like these 'pimp so-and-so for hypesman' gimmicks? Sure Rex is a great player, and deserves accolades, but it is a team game first. Like a few mentioned already, if your team performs well, the individual honors will follow. I don't see the point in artificially creating individual distractions (granted, Rex has a good head on his shoulders and probably wouldn't be affected by it) when this team has shown over the last few years that it is hard enough concentrating on what they need to do on the field.

i mentioned this earlier, but this is not about rex. it is about the program. the pr department sees an opportunity to use rex for promotion and exposure. they are using him to get eyes on the program and if they get him to new york, even better.

Wish this trophy would actually mean something. Not just given to the best player on the best school. The award being given to RGIII last year was a step in that direction. It would of been total bs if he didn't win it.

frankly, i think tebow earned it last year. he won a playoff game, after all.

i mentioned this earlier, but this is not about rex. it is about the program. the pr department sees an opportunity to use rex for promotion and exposure. they are using him to get eyes on the program and if they get him to new york, even better.

Bingo.....

Wish this trophy would actually mean something. Not just given to the best player on the best school. The award being given to RGIII last year was a step in that direction. It would of been total bs if he didn't win it.

I think Case Keenum might agree with you.