Some practice nuggets

knapplc

i get a bit worried that freshman will get playing time...that means the uperclassmen are performing poorly....remember, these guys are 18, 19., playing against some guys maybe 5 yrs older

But wait, I thought that because we aren't playing true frosh and RsFr all the time like the SEC, it means we aren't recruiting well.

Now I'm confused.

Our 2008 class absolutely sucked. We r seeing now that many upper classman are being out performed by the new recruits. I expected something like this to happen. We will be fine starting a few freshman. What worries me is on the oline there could potentially be four guys starting who were all walkons......scary stuff.

Fresh or 5 yr senior, we need to play the best kid on the team and then get some reliable backups. In the past I could see Bo not wanting to burn any Red Shirts, but it seems that would have been a way to build some depth and experience. This is Bo's 5th year. I would hope that he as recruited and developed enough guys that we can play some Fresh.

knappic,

Any news about starting center on the O line?

im not knapplc, but they said pensick has been taking some snaps at guard all week, along with center. My guess is they are looking for capable back ups in case on of the starters goes down. We need to stay healthy on the line or its going to be a long season.

This tells me that Justin Jackson has won the center position. You don't hear about Choi or Long experimenting with position changes because they are locked in as ones.

With the news that Westerkamp has the best hands on the team and hasn't dropped a single pass this preseason, we suddenly appear to have a glut of WR talent. Presumed starters:

Enunwa

Bell

Marlowe/Turner (not sure who's winning that battle)

Whichever guy doesn't start between Marlowe and Turner, the other guy is right there. Then you have Westerkamp showing promise and Taariq Allen with all the (reputed) talent in the world.

Maybe the best part of this "problem" is that they're all young. Marlowe is the only senior. We have Q this year and next and we have everyone else two more years past this year.

Marlowe, Tim - Sr.

Enunwa, Quincy - Jr.

Bell, Kenny - So.

Turner, Jamal - So.

Allen, Taariq - RFr.

Westerkamp, Jordan - Fr.

I feel like a kid in a candy store with this group. Throw in an unknowns like Wullenwaber (Mr. Speed) and Alonzo Moore and this appears like a position group poised for great success.

• Fire 2

With the news that Westerkamp has the best hands on the team and hasn't dropped a single pass this preseason, we suddenly appear to have a glut of WR talent. Presumed starters:

Enunwa

Bell

Whichever guy doesn't start between Marlowe and Turner, the other guy is right there. Then you have Westerkamp showing promise and Taariq Allen with all the (reputed) talent in the world.

Maybe the best part of this "problem" is that they're all young. Marlowe is the only senior. We have Q this year and next and we have everyone else two more years past this year.

Marlowe, Tim - Sr.

Enunwa, Quincy - Jr.

Bell, Kenny - So.

Turner, Jamal - So.

Allen, Taariq - RFr.

Westerkamp, Jordan - Fr.

I feel like a kid in a candy store with this group. Throw in an unknowns like Wullenwaber (Mr. Speed) and Alonzo Moore and this appears like a position group poised for great success.

lets just hope the transfer bug doesn't come up and bite us.

Enunwa

Bell

Marlowe, Tim - Sr.

Enunwa, Quincy - Jr.

Bell, Kenny - So.

Turner, Jamal - So.

Allen, Taariq - RFr.

Westerkamp, Jordan - Fr.

Enunwa

Bell

Marlowe, Tim - Sr.

Enunwa, Quincy - Jr.

Bell, Kenny - So.

Turner, Jamal - So.

Allen, Taariq - RFr.

Westerkamp, Jordan - Fr.

This is why I was surprised to hear that Alonzo Moore is starting his career at WR. As you point out, our WR corps is loaded & young. Moore, who could as well play safety, is being added to the WR crew when we are precariously low on safeties --- both in quantity and quality. Odd. I'd have thought certain that Moore would be a safety.

This is why I was surprised to hear that Alonzo Moore is starting his career at WR. As you point out, our WR corps is loaded & young. Moore, who could as well play safety, is being added to the WR crew when we are precariously low on safeties --- both in quantity and quality. Odd. I'd have thought certain that Moore would be a safety.

with ya here. almost 3 deep at a position that is notorious for needing the ball, at a school that doesn't give WR's the ball much. might be good to just leave this group alone. quality freshman coming in next year as well. injecting even more competition into it could poison the whole thing. SJB is on defense, i'd expect Moore to be there as well eventually. Just start him out there now.

knappic,

Any news about starting center on the O line?

Here's what I found:

@HuskerExtraBC

Red Report: Which true frosh are likely playing? 2-gap talk. And Justin Jackson's fiery push for starting center job http://bit.ly/O5R9YT

@HuskerExtraBC

Jeremiah Sirles says some guys on the line call Justin Jackson "Junior." As in, Ricky Henry Jr. #Huskers

@HuskerExtraBC

“He’s just like Ricky," Sirles said. "Hothead. Fireball. He just runs around hitting people. He takes everything very personally....."

@HuskerExtraBC

“.....If he messes up he wants to know immediately why and how he can fix it and I think that’s what makes Justin so great.”

For the record, Jackson is listed at 6'3" and 280lbs. I have no idea if that's accurate today or if that's old information not updated.

I think they were saying Moore was a bit smaller then anticipated. He only weighed in around 170, not saftey material at the moment.

More practice nuggets from Kaz.

Moss is a beast and Kaz is in love with him, we might have got lucky and pulled a real gem here, and do we ever need one at DE. I wouldnt doubt if all four of the dlineman from the freshman class anchor down the dline in the future.

Hate to say it but it feels like another growing year for us with all this young talent. I really hope we can take a big step, eliminate stupid penalities and mental breakdowns, compete in every game til the end and win the games we are supposed to. That should put us at 10-2, and depending on what Michigan does we could have a shot to win our division or at least get an at large bid to BCS. We need to get all this young talent we have piled up, some playing time this year so we can do something with it in 13 and 14. We are on the cusp of being a very scary team, we really need a big OLine class this time around, its really the only weak point on the team (of ocurse a few more dline never hurt) If we hired a big time Oline coach like we did with Kaz on the d, we have enough skill players and defensive talent to be very, very good in the years to come. All we are missing is the oline, which of course may be the most important.

I honestly think the Tyler Moore situation may actually keep Cotton around longer. Moores dad has come out and said that they are going to wait and see what happens in Lincoln, staff wise. And i think Bo would be stubborn and keep him around longer so it doesnt look like hes firing him for a one player. I think they should pull Moores scholarship and say best of luck to you. We dont need a guy that gives up on his teammates because he doesnt like his coach, dont care how talented he is, us working stiffs know your not always going to get along with everyone you work with, gotta suck it up young man. Pull his scholly that way if Bo wants to let Barney go there is no way Tyer can come back, and you solve both problems. I think we are at 86 schollys anyway if Rose clears NCAA.

• Fire 1

Enunwa

Bell

Marlowe, Tim - Sr.

Enunwa, Quincy - Jr.

Bell, Kenny - So.

Turner, Jamal - So.

Allen, Taariq - RFr.

Westerkamp, Jordan - Fr.

lets just hope the transfer bug doesn't come up and bite us.

Let's file this post in the Better Left Unsaid category! Mmm-Kay!!! ;)