Offensive Line and Cotten's future

I wonder why internet posters always crucify Barney but give Garrison & Stai free passes? Our Oline was marginal at best during the Clownahan era too (of course, due to Barney).

This^. Those guys, while not thee O line coach" are associated with the performance as well. Can't say the line stinks, but these two guys get a free pass.

I said on another board about two years ago was that with the new OC, Cotton will get at least 3 more years. Year one under Beck, "We were all learning a new "scheme", year two we are finally getting up to speed, BUT it is only year one with guys we have recruited for this new scheme and year three he either makes it or breaks it. If there is no marked improvement, IMO, Cotton stil gets one more year.

Did you ever think that those two were brought on solely to help an incompetent coach try to save his job? If Barney wasn't so "well connected" in the AD, he would have been gone a long time ago. The second paragraph is pure lunacy....stop making excuses for poor performance.

I think you misinterpreted my meaninig. These are the excuses, that we as fans, will be given by the staff as to why Cotton is still here at the end of the year. They are not my excuses for a poor performance. These are the reasons, IMO, that he will still be here. Same with Wats, need him for continuity, need him for transition, need him to help implement system, we stunk, he was gone. He was here 3 yrs under Bo and all we heard were reasons he was still here even though many fans didn't want him kept in 2008. Throw in Cotton is tight with Bo and TO and this is what you get.

I wonder why internet posters always crucify Barney but give Garrison & Stai free passes? Our Oline was marginal at best during the Clownahan era too (of course, due to Barney).

This^. Those guys, while not thee O line coach" are associated with the performance as well. Can't say the line stinks, but these two guys get a free pass.

I said on another board about two years ago was that with the new OC, Cotton will get at least 3 more years. Year one under Beck, "We were all learning a new "scheme", year two we are finally getting up to speed, BUT it is only year one with guys we have recruited for this new scheme and year three he either makes it or breaks it. If there is no marked improvement, IMO, Cotton stil gets one more year.

Did you ever think that those two were brought on solely to help an incompetent coach try to save his job? If Barney wasn't so "well connected" in the AD, he would have been gone a long time ago. The second paragraph is pure lunacy....stop making excuses for poor performance.

So you think Uncle Milt was incompetent too? Go ahead and google "Dan Young" and see what you find.

I think you misinterpreted my meaninig. These are the excuses, that we as fans, will be given by the staff as to why Cotton is still here at the end of the year. They are not my excuses for a poor performance. These are the reasons, IMO, that he will still be here. Same with Wats, need him for continuity, need him for transition, need him to help implement system, we stunk, he was gone. He was here 3 yrs under Bo and all we heard were reasons he was still here even though many fans didn't want him kept in 2008. Throw in Cotton is tight with Bo and TO and this is what you get.

Umm, the staff doesn't have to give the fans any reasons or excuses for keeping current coaches. And they won't.

The penalties could possibly be explained by guys being forced to switch positions on the line too often, which is also what supposedly limited the effectiveness of Callahan's o-lines. That is Barney's fault.

On that I agree. College football players are extremely limited in their practice time. When a coach constantly moves guys around they really don't have an opportunity to develop and get better at any position.

So you think Uncle Milt was incompetent too? Go ahead and google "Dan Young" and see what you find.

Dan Young GM Center - Car Dealership

http://danyounggm.com/

-or-

Dan Young - Colorado plein-air landscape painter.

http://www.danyoungstudio.com/

Which Dan Young am I looking for?

Normally I like what you post, but this time! Don't be stupid.

Edit: maybe I didn't get the joke.

The penalties could possibly be explained by guys being forced to switch positions on the line too often, which is also what supposedly limited the effectiveness of Callahan's o-lines. That is Barney's fault.

Hmmmmm it's alway's bad to have OL learn other positions. :confucius :confucius :confucius :confucius

Not if they're not allowed to get comfortable at one spot first, which is the allegation. Too often* is the key. Barney is supposedly fine at teaching technique, but his personnel management blows chunks and could be the main reason the line looks great one moment and then lousy the next. Lack of consistency, you play like you practice...

WOW. Didn't know you where such a expert on the subject.

But please, do tell us how you know all this?????? :confucius :confucius :confucius

Because that's the way it should be?

Cotton has been the O-Line coach for 4 years under Bo and was here under Solich as well. He has NEVER produced anything close to a great O-Line. A couple were fairly solid but none were great. Barney is the head O-Line coach. The line production falls completely on his shoulders. - expecially when you take into account what the other two guys are responsible for.

Garrison is a full time coach right now primarily because Barney couldn't get it done alone, he'd have been one eventually anyways but he was kinda fast tracked from intern to full coach (skipping the GA position entirely) because of Barney's incompetence. He's been on the staff since 2008 but the first three of those were as an intern where he worked mostly with the S&C staff. 2011 was his first year as a full time O-Line/TE coach. His primary responsibility on the line is to work with the underclassmen and the walkons. Guess who the best linemen on the team were last year. Honestly the dude has been kinda awesome at his job with those guys - Caputo, Long. Choi etc.

Stai is still an intern and he's been here only a very short time as well. Why the heck would he get any blame for the line? Yes he works with them but his involvement is kind of limited by the rules. Trying to give any blame to Stai would be like giving blame to LaTravis Washington if the Linebackers have a bad game.

If we got rid of Barney, promoted Garrison to the actual O-Line coach and promote Vince Morrow to a fulltime staff member as the new TE coach where he can recruit... (something he's actually very good at) Then either promoted Stai to GA where he can help Garrison a lot more (or bring in someone else who can coach the line as a GA if Stai doesn't want to do this job full time), Honestly we'd be in pretty dang good shape.

• Fire 1