Who will burn a redshirt?

The QB situation has to be handled correctly if for no other reason than to make it easier to secure a 2014 QB of quality! QB recruits will look at our depth chart and see whether or not they have a shot at playing time within their first three years in our program! It could be difficult to land a top guy when it looks like he may not play until he's a 4th year junior!

This is a frustrating statement. There are many top programs around the country that bring in one if not two really good QBs a year. This shouldn't be an issue with Nebraska.

I used to have the opinion that we need to redshirt Armstrong so we have him starting 3 years after TM is gone.

However, someone else pointed out to me once that if we play Armstrong this year and redshirt Stanton next year, we are set up to have the next 6 years of Junior/Senior starting at QB.

Now tell that to a 2014 recruit and watch his eyes light up and commit on the spot!

Why can other schools do this and still get a good QB recruit every year? When Stanton is a Junior and Senior, he is one snap and an injury away from being the starter.

Name the 2013 redshirt junior that will start after Matt Barkley and how long before 2013 elite 11 QB Max Browne is starting! My point is once a guy is entrenched as a freshman or sophomore the upper tier QBs are more reluctant to committ there. And if the heir apparent is also on campus ie. Johnny Stanton. Then it makes it tougher to grab a guy who wants to play right away anyways.

Who i think will aviod RS

Curry will play, we need the depth behind Rome with Williams and Peat injuries.

Westerkamp

Cross

Moss

Janovich

Armstrong....still up in the air. I like the idea of playing him and RS Stanton for a 2 year gap. This is a really tough decision for the coaches, but if hes the clear 2, play him.

The QB situation has to be handled correctly if for no other reason than to make it easier to secure a 2014 QB of quality! QB recruits will look at our depth chart and see whether or not they have a shot at playing time within their first three years in our program! It could be difficult to land a top guy when it looks like he may not play until he's a 4th year junior!

This is a frustrating statement. There are many top programs around the country that bring in one if not two really good QBs a year. This shouldn't be an issue with Nebraska.

I used to have the opinion that we need to redshirt Armstrong so we have him starting 3 years after TM is gone.

However, someone else pointed out to me once that if we play Armstrong this year and redshirt Stanton next year, we are set up to have the next 6 years of Junior/Senior starting at QB.

Now tell that to a 2014 recruit and watch his eyes light up and commit on the spot!

Why can other schools do this and still get a good QB recruit every year? When Stanton is a Junior and Senior, he is one snap and an injury away from being the starter.

Name the 2013 redshirt junior that will start after Matt Barkley and how long before 2013 elite 11 QB Max Browne is starting! My point is once a guy is entrenched as a freshman or sophomore the upper tier QBs are more reluctant to committ there. And if the heir apparent is also on campus ie. Johnny Stanton. Then it makes it tougher to grab a guy who wants to play right away anyways.

Texas got a commitment from a 2014 kid that is highly rated as well as a 5 star kid from 2013.

2009 4* QB Matt Barkley

2010 4* QB Jesse Scroggins

2011 4 * QB Cody Kessler

2012 Only year they didn't have one

2013 commit 5* Max Browne

So, for the most part, they have been able to bring a really good QB in almost every year.

Eligibility

Barkley 2012

Kesslery 2015

Browne New Commit

My point with this is that things happen with QBs. You bring in one a year (Maybe two) and if one doesn't work out, you need that guy behind him that will step up.

Right now it doesn't seem like we have a really good #2 guy unless Armstrong is that guy. Stanton looks great but he may come here and in two years for some reason not be available.

Different menatalities between Nebraska and Oklahoma.

I listened to Stoops the other day. He recruits every single player to play their first year. If he does not feel they are capable he does not recruit them. I like that idea, but they have an easier time recruiting than we do I guess.

Mans game, if they are good enough now let them play, but don't burn it and let them ride the bench after a couple of plays. seen that done here a few times.

Players rs if they can't play this year, meaning so much depth and too many upperclassman that are BETTER.

I believe Bo even said something like: we'll see how TA's redshirt decision goes, I'm not too worried about next year, I'm worried about THIS year.

Such as janovich has shown, even as a freshman that he may be a guy that can be counted on to block on punt team or he's a great ferocious tackler on kickoff, you play him. Even if that's all he does the whole year. Remember our kick and punt coverage wasn't that great last year? Maybe we need a few jarheads in there we've been missing. By the time he's a junior/ senior and ready to be the fullback full time, he can earn a scholly and have 2-3 years of quality playing time while the next Janovich earns his stripes on special teams.

It's not about next year. It's about this year

Just wanted to pipe in really quick in case it hasn't been brought up. Westerkamp is on the scout team, which is a solid indication that he will redshirt this year. Other notables is with Ron Kellog working his way as a strong contender for the #2 QB, the chances are rising that we see Armstrong redshirt as well.