Who will burn a redshirt?

If Westercamp plays I'm guessing it's to be the go-to type we've lacked the past three seasons. Especially since TM's passes tend to be catchable but not optimal we need a wr that brings in whatever he can get his hands on. If he burns just hope we make it worth it. We already have a considerable amount of talent in the receiving corps between WR and TE and while we'll throw more it still won't be a lot.

Jackson obviously burns his shirt, should give us nice depth at nickel.

With Heard back at rb I worry about Cross sharing carries with two other back-ups behind a warrior in Rex. Maybe we'll use the diamond more this season to get the to get the other rb's more involved.

Not big on Janovic burning his shirt to plays ST's and get a few garbage-time reps in at FB, but it sounds like that could be the plan. Think he'll be a great FB for us and I'd prefer having him start another season there down the road.

Love hearing good things about Avery but I think he'll be hard-pressed to beat-out Carter and I can't see burning his shirt to be the fifth DE.

With Williams coming-off injury, Ball needing to work harder, plus Peat coming off injury and needing to work harder I can see Curry playing.

Armstrong is a tough call. It would be easy if TM was a senior. I'd say it gets down whether TA wins the spot for #2 hands-down or not. If it's a pretty even race then I'd lean towards shirting, especially since Carnes could bolt rather than accept a career back-up role. If he is obviously better then you have to play him, can't lose a game because TM goes down and we're not playing our best back-up. We can shirt Stanton next season so each guy could get two years of understudy and two years of starting.

Whether Armstrong redshirts or not, who knows. I'm leaning towards the coaches playing him first chance they get, and Carnes transferring after that happens. If that's the case, and Tommy pans out, hopefully Stanton redshirts next year.

I think Cross plays this year. Why not let Janovich also play this year. We seem to always have a good f/b. Weaterkamp would be a good fit this year. even if the rest of the w/r's step up. Next year is going to be the easiest B1G schedule we have had, so why not let him get used to working with Martinez. Not sure on Valentine. Do they need him this year? Maybe if someone gets hurt, they can pull his red shirt. Hate to see him sitting on the bench getting little playing time. Have know clue on Armstrong. Where is Carnes, haven't read much on here on how he is doing, so don't have much of an opinion on that.

We will find out about all these young men soon enough. Seems like two off seasons since the last game.

GBR!!!

"Burning Redshirts" A player can be redshirted any time in their careers -- a player can play as a freshman and still redshirt the next year. I don't understand why people make it seem like it's a "now or never" decision.

Do you really not understand? Name 5 players who have redshirted after their freshman season not due to injury. It rarely ever happens. For the most part, it is now or never. 18/19 year olds are impatient. Getting them to do it when they're freshman is the only chance in most cases.

I do remember all the talk about how Adi Kunalic was gonna redshirt his Sr year, but it wasn't true. I actually can't name one that wasn't related to an injury.

The QB situation has to be handled correctly if for no other reason than to make it easier to secure a 2014 QB of quality! QB recruits will look at our depth chart and see whether or not they have a shot at playing time within their first three years in our program! It could be difficult to land a top guy when it looks like he may not play until he's a 4th year junior!

This is a frustrating statement. There are many top programs around the country that bring in one if not two really good QBs a year. This shouldn't be an issue with Nebraska.

I used to have the opinion that we need to redshirt Armstrong so we have him starting 3 years after TM is gone.

However, someone else pointed out to me once that if we play Armstrong this year and redshirt Stanton next year, we are set up to have the next 6 years of Junior/Senior starting at QB.

The QB situation has to be handled correctly if for no other reason than to make it easier to secure a 2014 QB of quality! QB recruits will look at our depth chart and see whether or not they have a shot at playing time within their first three years in our program! It could be difficult to land a top guy when it looks like he may not play until he's a 4th year junior!

This is a frustrating statement. There are many top programs around the country that bring in one if not two really good QBs a year. This shouldn't be an issue with Nebraska.

I used to have the opinion that we need to redshirt Armstrong so we have him starting 3 years after TM is gone.

However, someone else pointed out to me once that if we play Armstrong this year and redshirt Stanton next year, we are set up to have the next 6 years of Junior/Senior starting at QB.

Now tell that to a 2014 recruit and watch his eyes light up and commit on the spot!

It really shouldn't be an issue at all. We can start counting future starting quarterbacks but that's an insanely dangerous thing to do. I remember back in 2007 so when we were loaded to the hilt. Around that time we had guys like Ganz, ex-elite 11 Hildebrand, Zac Lee, and new commit Blaine Gabbert, among probably others I'm forgetting. It was obscene.

Of course, the entire dang thing fell apart and we ended up with some of the poorest, thinnest QB depth we have ever had.

Now tell that to a 2014 recruit and watch his eyes light up and commit on the spot!

Why can other schools do this and still get a good QB recruit every year? When Stanton is a Junior and Senior, he is one snap and an injury away from being the starter.