Who will burn a redshirt?

I've listed some of the names we have heard about through fall camp. Take a guess as to who will redshirt. I've listed my guesses in red and my uninformed reasons.

Westerkamp

Rose

Valentine

Curry

McMullen

Moss

Armstrong

Andy Janovich

Cross

Frazier

Mitchell (meant Jackson)

I make my guesses if they can make the 2 deep but also take in consideration the travel squad for future road games as that crunches your numbers.

Westerkamp We have Enunwa, Bell, Turner, Marlowe, Allen that should be solid. That's 5. Westerkamp could be that 6th guy, but thinking travel squad big picture..Evans is a guy that could make the travel squad because he is a holder as well. He could take up a WR spot as well as the 6th guy. Dixon and Wullenwaber have also both received some mention and would be capable as they have experience and could be the 6th guy. So I am guessing they redshirt Westerkamp.

For defensive tackles we have Baker, Rome and Randal as the top 3. Curry and Williams are fighting for the 4 spot. I think they take 5 DT's on the road so I think Curry will play and Valentine will redshirt.

For RE's Meredith,Ankrah,Martin are the top 3. Moss is fighting it out with Carter for the 4th spot. Again I think they take 5 on the road so I think they will take Moss.

I think they will take 3 QB'S on the road. So Tmart, Kellog, Carnes and Armstrong are the 4 choices. The easy choice would be to redshirt Armstrong and take your 3 upperclassmen on the road. This is tough but I am going to pick Armstrong to play. I haven't heard too much about Carnes chatter this fall. In fact it could be Carnes stays home. Kellog may continue to signal in along with Ganz.

Cross, Frazier. I think they take 4 backs. So I think Cross plays. (Rex,Ameer,Braylon). Frazier redshirts.

Janovich. I think they take 3 FB's. Marrow, CJ and it's a tossup between Janovich and Stoddard. The thing here is that Stoddard has made big Special team contributions. I also think he could do some H-back if needed. I also heard Bo say on his show that Janovich could be a contrubitor for special teams. So I think they take 4 FB's do to special teams. If you can run and hit you can play special teams!

Mitchell. (meant Jackson) Again I think special teams considerations comes into play here along with the fact that he is the 2nd nickle. He plays.

Now here's a question for you and one that won't need answering for awhile if ever.... Maher is our p/PK. Do you take only 1 on the road or do you take 2? Bondi may redshirt. So who do you take? Foltz? Spencer Lindsey? They may never play but I'd hate to not have a punter/place kicker. So those guys might end up in limbo this season.

I think Rose plays. Again Special teams. This gives us 7 Lb's but it's a hard hitting spot and Roach has had injuries in the past.

What are your guesses?

"Burning Redshirts" A player can be redshirted any time in their careers -- a player can play as a freshman and still redshirt the next year. I don't understand why people make it seem like it's a "now or never" decision.

Do you really not understand? Name 5 players who have redshirted after their freshman season not due to injury. It rarely ever happens. For the most part, it is now or never. 18/19 year olds are impatient. Getting them to do it when they're freshman is the only chance in most cases.

so it is or isn't now or never? you seem to admit I am right, it can happen any time in a career but then you say it has to happen now.... technically I am correct that a redshirt can happen anytime. Does that fact bother you?

The reality, though, is that players whose shirts are burned this year, will almost certainly play their four years without a redshirt (barring injury/medical). I don't know why that should or shouldn't bother anybody...it's truth that the redshirt-or-not decision is made at this juncture and is often defining. There are so many examples of this -- Marlon Lucky, Niles Paul, Harrison Beck, Cody Green, Aaron Green...

I'm getting on the Westerkamp and Armstrong bandwagons, but I really think it would not be much of a stretch to allow them to redshirt this year and get that extra development time in. Armstrong especially could benefit from it. With a limited passing offense, Rex & both TEs as very valid receiving options, and Bell, Enunwa, Turner, and Marlowe, I think it would be a waste for Westerkamp to burn his shirt.

so it is or isn't now or never? you seem to admit I am right, it can happen any time in a career but then you say it has to happen now.... technically I am correct that a redshirt can happen anytime. Does that fact bother you?

The fact that your reading comprehension is low bothers me. Of course the rule is that they can take their redshirt any year. But you're pretending to be confused about why people think it's "now or never," or you really don't get it. I feel like I explained it well enough the first time but here goes another try.

The reason people think it's now or never is because the frequency of people taking redshirts after their freshmen years (other than for medical reasons) is so low that it's hard to even think of examples of those players. So for all intents and purposes, yes, it is "now or never."

• Fire 2

The use or non-use of the redshirt plays a meaningful part of any consideration of transferring - many redshirts are used duing the transfer season. Those examples are almost countless. The kid from Auborn (Rose?) is transferring here and using his redshirt this season. Same with JUCO transfers. Same with medical.

Thank you for confirming the fact that the redshirt can be used, per rule, during the 5 to play 4 career.

Zoogies makes good points about the decision being "defining" for many players.

p.s. I heard rumor our kicker - Bondi could redshirt this year so he has a full 3 years after Maher graduates.