Backup QB

I don't recall ever seeing any film of RK3. Is there any out there? I've been looking but I'm having no luck.

He played in spring games but outside of that I don't know if there's a lot of film on him.

I caught part of this discussion on the radio yesterday. It's kind of interesting to reflect on some of the conversations we had last year about Carnes possibly needing to start over Martinez, or the diatribes saying Carnes would be really good. He's got four years still to make an impression, and although it's awesome to see Kellogg in the mix as well as Armstrong, this is a little disheartening for a guy who has already spent a lot of time here.

If Kellogg and Armstrong are really close, I think you go with Kellogg as your back up. We already play our back ups sparingly, and if Martinez is healthy all year, it doesn't make sense to waste this kids redshirt on maybe 20-30 plays.

• Fire 2

I'd like to see Beck some up with some mad scientist offensive gadget set with RK3, T-Mart and Rex all in the same backfield. It would be worth putting those guys on the field at the same time just to see the unnerved look of the other team's DC. :lol:

• Fire 3

You see the staff being more careful with redshirts this year, as in they are really thinking through it. Last year we saw guys go in as true freshmen, play a few snaps, and waste their RS year. (i.e. Aaron Green, Braylon Heard) and there were some others. Maybe the staff learned from that last year and is going to do a better job of either redshirting the kids or playing them several snaps to stay away from this 10 play freshman year stuff.

I don't recall ever seeing any film of RK3. Is there any out there? I've been looking but I'm having no luck.

He played in spring games but outside of that I don't know if there's a lot of film on him.

I caught part of this discussion on the radio yesterday. It's kind of interesting to reflect on some of the conversations we had last year about Carnes possibly needing to start over Martinez, or the diatribes saying Carnes would be really good. He's got four years still to make an impression, and although it's awesome to see Kellogg in the mix as well as Armstrong, this is a little disheartening for a guy who has already spent a lot of time here.

If Kellogg and Armstrong are really close, I think you go with Kellogg as your back up. We already play our back ups sparingly, and if Martinez is healthy all year, it doesn't make sense to waste this kids redshirt on maybe 20-30 plays.

Will Armstrong really want to redshirt if he has an opportunity to be in on those 20-30 plays? With Stanton coming, I'd venture to guess Armstrong will want any game experience he can get this year even if it is only 20-30 plays.

Im really pulling for a TA redshirt. If they are that close lets play RKIII. I have a feeling we are going to want Tommy here as long as possible. If Tommy plays this year, we are going to hear a massive call for him to play over Taylor next year, or hell, knowing NE fans we will be calling for him after one loss.

If Taylor sustains a season ending injury in the first half of the season, pull his shirt and get him some experience. The kid is going to be a stud, i would love to see him play this year, but when hes a senior we'll be crying that we didnt redshirt him.

You see the staff being more careful with redshirts this year, as in they are really thinking through it. Last year we saw guys go in as true freshmen, play a few snaps, and waste their RS year. (i.e. Aaron Green, Braylon Heard) and there were some others. Maybe the staff learned from that last year and is going to do a better job of either redshirting the kids or playing them several snaps to stay away from this 10 play freshman year stuff.

I think they've been pretty consistent from day one here. If a guy can help he plays if not he reshirts. Bo would like to see the kids have 5 years to play 5 and hes been pretty open that. He'll put players out there early if its what the player wants and the coaches feel its in everyone's best interest. Aaron Green is a perfect example. They wanted him to redshirt he wanted to play. So they let him. I don't put that blame on the coaches one bit.

Bo would like to see the kids have 5 years to play 5

I'm pretty sure you mean 5 to play 4. But I'd be in favor of 5 to play 5 if we can figure out how to do it. :lol:

I'd be in favor of 10 years to play 10. Joe Ganz would still have 6 years left, Suh would have 7, etc.....

I'm pretty sure you mean 5 to play 4. But I'd be in favor of 5 to play 5 if we can figure out how to do it. :lol:

NO. I meant 5 to play 5. Bo is one of the coaches backing the request to give kids 5 years of playing time. There would be no red shirting and no medical hardships. The clock starts year one after high school and runs for 5 years.

edit: It would take a lot of pressure off of coaches to make promises about early playing time and would also help build depth and make it easier to keep class sizes about the same size. Plus it kills the Saben effect of medical scholarships being awarded to 15 guys in 3 years.

NO. I meant 5 to play 5. Bo is one of the coaches backing the request to give kids 5 years of playing time. There would be no red shirting and no medical hardships. The clock starts year one after high school and runs for 5 years.

edit: It would take a lot of pressure off of coaches to make promises about early playing time and would also help build depth and make it easier to keep class sizes about the same size. Plus it kills the Saben effect of medical scholarships being awarded to 15 guys in 3 years.

I guess I hadn't heard Bo was pushing for that. A 5 to play 5 system would tend to level the playing field for us by giving us more time to develop players.

Braylon Heard had a leg infection.

Will Armstrong really want to redshirt if he has an opportunity to be in on those 20-30 plays? With Stanton coming, I'd venture to guess Armstrong will want any game experience he can get this year even if it is only 20-30 plays.

If we use Brion Carnes' playing time last year as a bench mark for this year, those 20-30 plays might actually be really high balling it. I mean, did Carnes even take 20 snaps last year? He only played in three games. Of the snaps I remember him taking they were almost entirely useless - he had two rushing attempts for a net loss of six yards and two passing attempts (which he completed) totaling 26 yards. If you're a player do you find that useful? Is it really worth wasting an entire year of football on a handful of meaningless plays in garbage time?

This is assuming Martinez stays healthy this year and we don't have to worry about who the starter is. But given Martinez does stay healthy, and using last years back up play as a bench mark, I think burning the redshirt would be a colossal mistake.