Some SI predictions

Hadn't seen this posted yet.

Two Husker related parts:

Lars Anderson has us in the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma.

Mallory Rubin thinks we'll be a flop team:

"The 'Huskers keep earning a spot in the preseason Top 25 polls. They also keep underachieving and losing four games a year. The Blackshirts have regressed after their Suh-driven resurgence, and Taylor Martinez has yet to put it all together. This team is too dependent on Rex Burkhead to hang with a conference largely on the rise."

Thoughts?

IMO Rubin is and has been a terrible judge of teams. So her selecting us to flop probably means we won't.

"The 'Huskers keep earning a spot in the preseason Top 25 polls. They also keep underachieving..."

I think this person has trouble grasping the English language. The same point could have been made without sounding like an idiot. As it is, saying a team keeps being put in the top 25 and then underachieving is idiotic when that same team also ends up in the top 25 at the end of the season.

They could have said top 15 or top 20.

I listen to the SI podcast regularly, and Mallory is a fan of poor logic, is the worst part of the show. She believes that MSU will be the same the best in the Big because of their defense and really strong running game. The same running game that was 2nd worst in the conference.

I can't fault her reasoning. This team has plateaued and needs to take that proverbial next step. I think it's reasonable to keep ranking us in the lower part of the Top 25, but we have yet to prove we belong in the top ten.

Yeah. But it's not like we're Notre Dame. We aren't starting ranked 5-10 and falling out of the top 25. I'm not sure if we've held our preseason ranking yet under Bo, but we haven't fallen far. A bounce or two and a blown coverage is about all that seperates 17 from 23.

I listen to the SI podcast regularly, and Mallory is a fan of poor logic, is the worst part of the show. She believes that MSU will be the same the best in the Big because of their defense and really strong running game. The same running game that was 2nd worst in the conference.

The strong MSU running game thought seems to have permeated the media. Even the BTN guys think Le'veon Bell will be the best RB in the conference. Even though he was mediocre last season with an effective passing game to open up the running game. That defense might be dominant, but that offense is going to cost them. IMO MSU's inability to run the ball will lead to turnovers in the passing game which will ultimately undermine that defense.

I can't fault her reasoning. This team has plateaued and needs to take that proverbial next step. I think it's reasonable to keep ranking us in the lower part of the Top 25, but we have yet to prove we belong in the top ten.

Yeah. But it's not like we're Notre Dame. We aren't starting ranked 5-10 and falling out of the top 25. I'm not sure if we've held our preseason ranking yet under Bo, but we haven't fallen far. A bounce or two and a blown coverage is about all that seperates 17 from 23.

I actually looked some polls up before posting so I wouldn't look like an idiot (which the writer apparently failed to do). I don't know what our preseason rating was in 2010 but we ended #20 in the AP. 2011 we started top 10 iirc, and ended #25. 2009 I'm pretty sure we ended higher than projected.

There is no reason not to rank us in the top 25 every year, but she's implying otherwise. She could have just said something like "pollsters keep expecting greatness from the Huskers, but..."

Agreed. A bounce, a FG, and a blown coverage was the difference between 10-4 and 13-1 in 2009.

• Fire 1

AP Rankings (preseason/final)

2008 none/none

2009 24/14

2010 8/20

2011 10/21

I see this more as a situation where pollsters keep putting a 4 loss team in the Top 10, rather than a 4 loss team underperforming by once again losing 4 games.

These BCS rankings? Thought we finished 24 last season. I guess we have fallen a little farther than I thought in past seasons. We were ranked 17 going into the Washington game in 2010. Probably would have finished 15ish, instead we shouldn't have been top 25 after that crap of a game.

Our second loss is just killer. 9-1 then lose to A&M (in a screwjob) and fall 7 to 16. 7-1 then fall to northwestern and drop 10 to 19. Just struggled late in the season lately.

"The 'Huskers keep earning a spot in the preseason Top 25 polls. They also keep underachieving and losing four games a year. The Blackshirts have regressed after their Suh-driven resurgence, and Taylor Martinez has yet to put it all together. This team is too dependent on Rex Burkhead to hang with a conference largely on the rise."

Thoughts?

IMO Rubin is and has been a terrible judge of teams. So her selecting us to flop probably means we won't.

Mallory Rubin

Mallory Rubin - Twitter.jpg4519109_tml.jpg

I want to know why Wiley Wiggins is writing for SI?

In honsety we have been a flop team.

Look back at most of the predictions from the last four years on this board.

We have never come close to what most predicted.

We have average coaching at best. We may have reached its highest level, consistant 4 losses. Not bad, but not where most want this program to be by any means.

I see us going 9-4 at best, but feel it may be a lot worse this year.

• Fire 1

In honsety we have been a flop team.

Look back at most of the predictions from the last four years on this board.

We have never come close to what most predicted.

We have average coaching at best. We may have reached its highest level, consistant 4 losses. Not bad, but not where most want this program to be by any means.

I see us going 9-4 at best, but feel it may be a lot worse this year.

Never come close? I'll give you 2011. But in 2009 and 2010, were were damn close to finishing with 2 conference titles, and 12+ wins.

• Fire 1