What did we learn?

So...do some of you posters still believe Ameer can't break tackles and goes down with one hit!? He ran very well today....very hard runner who fights for every inch. He played very well. I was impressed with Heard and Cross as well. We look good at the RB position, however, I hope we get Rex back soon. Lastly, the o-line was making some holes and really pushing d-lineman around. I was impressed with the offensive line this game. No penalities on the o-line!? Hell yeah to that as well!

The WR corps looked really good --- they got open, they made catches, they got some YAC

The WR corps looks deep --- great to see Stephen Osborne out there

Abdullah is quite good... explosive, tough little guy... great to see

Heard looked really good

Taylor looked 200% better passing than ever before --- better in every conceivable way

Cross looks to be somewhat slow and plodding... but tough to bring down... a 3rd down back/ short yardage guy or future fullback.. pretty impressive

defense suspect inside --- linebackers slow... could have real trouble against the run... but game one... may get better

Overall... much better an outing than I saw coming. Very encouraging indeed.

I learned that a certain girlfriend of the receiver that separated his shoulder was an emotional wreck in the tunnel. ABC sideline reporter broke that news/lol. Great job reporting that/lol.

I just assumed that she was crying about Rex....

(How I envision the conversation)

NU staffer: "Honey, Tim is going to be fine."

Tim's GF: "Who gives a sh*t about Tim, Rex has ice on his knee!!!!"

Rollin rock I wish I could give you ten likes for that. What is funny is I think the reporter said it was Burkheads mother consoling her/lmao!

The D came around in the second half. Bo commented that they may have prepared for too many thing - they didn't really know what SMiss would do. SMiss had 25 carries for 95 yards (under 4 ypc) and was 1/8 throwing for 15 yards. Holding anyone to about 100 yards in a half is pretty good.

Still lots of room for improvement but at least they were headed in the right direction. LOVED the pressure we brought at times.

We learned that the coaches still won't play the #2 QB come hell or high water. Taylor should have been out of that game at the start of the 4th quarter, but he played another two series longer.

This continues to frustrate me.

I agree, it is odd that they don't see the necessity of getting the back-up playing time. Having said that, I won't complain about getting to watch Peyton Ma, I mean Taylor Martinez play a couple more series....

knapplc,

I disagree, at least for now. I know this has been our history, but I think it might change in the next few games.

I think it was wise to leave TM in this long, if only to let him get his "game shoes" more experience, after all the work he did to relearn his throwing mechanics. It is important to pound that memory deep as possible, in a game situation.

Once TM has another game or two under his belt, I suspect we will see him leave sooner. Until those old, bad motions, are no longer even a memory, he needs all the time he can get to eradicate the old sloppy play.

I do want to see backups get real playing time, late in the game after it is in hand, but I think this time is acceptable. Maybe next time too. Once TM has proven that the new TM is the rule, he should come out sooner.

knapplc,

I disagree, at least for now. I know this has been our history, but I think it might change in the next few games.

I think it was wise to leave TM in this long, if only to let him get his "game shoes" more experience, after all the work he did to relearn his throwing mechanics. It is important to pound that memory deep as possible, in a game situation.

Once TM has another game or two under his belt, I suspect we will see him leave sooner. Until those old, bad motions, are no longer even a memory, he needs all the time he can get to eradicate the old sloppy play.

I do want to see backups get real playing time, late in the game after it is in hand, but I think this time is acceptable. Maybe next time too. Once TM has proven that the new TM is the rule, he should come out sooner.

I don't think their strategy towards this will change at all. If they were actually interested in DEVELOPING a backup QB then they would have went with Armstrong as the #2. Instead, they will redshirt Armstrong, and go with Kellogg who will always be a backup here at Nebraska, and who is also a rock solid contributor to the team. This is my opinion, but if they planned on using their backup QB a lot this year, they would have went with Mr. Armstrong....

I wasn't able to play the closest attention to the game today. The one thing I am going to look at is line play; even though I wasn't watching them closely, Martinez had all day to throw back there and we did well rushing today. Credit where credit is due.

As far as Martinez playing late, I think he should have been out by the start of the fourth quarter too. Yes, he has "sloppy" play to get rid of, but it's still there (I wasn't playing that close of attention and even I saw it). I don't think even a couple of more games will rid him of this. And with Burkhead out, Martinez staying healthy is more important than it was before.

The D came around in the second half. Bo commented that they may have prepared for too many thing - they didn't really know what SMiss would do. SMiss had 25 carries for 95 yards (under 4 ypc) and was 1/8 throwing for 15 yards. Holding anyone to about 100 yards in a half is pretty good.

Still lots of room for improvement but at least they were headed in the right direction. LOVED the pressure we brought at times.

never mind i posted to the wrong post.

Edited by Polarhusker