One way to fix the defensive line play...

Fuzzy

I'm going to reserve judgment of the line as a whole right not. I'm going to hammer on an individual instead, as much as I am against such a thing and RARELY do. Cameron Meredith is a mess. I see no motivation from this man. He's slow and seems to always be out of position. He has not been the same last season and so far this season as he was in 2010. I just dont get it. I won't question effort of the other guys, but right now there seems to just be too much thinking going on in the front seven and not enough flying.

You are absolutely right. Meredith is slower than a turtle and no motivation for the past 2 years. I don't understand Cameron's depth chart. IMO, he's overrated big time. And plus, I miss Carl.

I'm going to reserve judgment of the line as a whole right not. I'm going to hammer on an individual instead, as much as I am against such a thing and RARELY do. Cameron Meredith is a mess. I see no motivation from this man. He's slow and seems to always be out of position. He has not been the same last season and so far this season as he was in 2010. I just dont get it. I won't question effort of the other guys, but right now there seems to just be too much thinking going on in the front seven and not enough flying.

You are absolutely right. Meredith is slower than a turtle and no motivation for the past 2 years. I don't understand Cameron's depth chart. IMO, he's overrated big time. And plus, I miss Carl.

I kind of think the same thing. I've never been impressed by this guy. Jason ankrah looks like our best DE

Still, our defensive line was getting pushed around by a C-USA offensive line. I don't think film study is going to magically make them grow a pair.

I started paying particuliar attention to our defensive line in the 2nd quarter and I agree they were getting pushed around. Where was that head butt technique Kaz was supposed to be teaching them? I can't say I seen it today?

This

We'll look better next week because we have an idea of what UCLA is going to run. Going in cold like that you could expect to be off. But I agree that our line is slower than molasses. We did a lot better in the second half and I'm hoping that Bo and Co. will have that defense in shape for UCLA next week.

(I also hope we have better announcers next week. Anyone know what channel the game is on for next week? I hope it's BTN!)

We'll look better next week because we have an idea of what UCLA is going to run. Going in cold like that you could expect to be off. But I agree that our line is slower than molasses. We did a lot better in the second half and I'm hoping that Bo and Co. will have that defense in shape for UCLA next week.

(I also hope we have better announcers next week. Anyone know what channel the game is on for next week? I hope it's BTN!)

It doesn't take game film to tackle well and shed blocks on the D-Line. The blitzing schemes were really the only thing that effected.

Cam looked slow. in 2011 and yesterday. When he does get up field, he over runs the play, takes a poor pursuit angle or simply can't catch anyone.

They get blown off the line. That is not game planning, that is simply being manhandled at the line of attack. I do not think I heard any of their names save one time for Stein. Our current LB's appear to have an issue tackling in space. The DL, allows many times for the RB's to get to the second level untouched.

They can not get get pressure to save their lives. Unsure why we line so far off the ball, play a two gap when we do not have the horses and saw no incidence of the "attacking" that guys talked about. Come B1G, we are in trouble against those bigger O lines. I hope the Fresh get some playing time and quick.

Our D was all world in 2009 (SUH), slightly down in 2010 (still in the spread happy Big12), significantly worse in 2011 and the DL looks no better after game 1 this year. I know we only gave up 13 points and 260 yrds, but what alarmed me was the over running, the push their O line got on our guys and the inability to tackle. Kaz has his work cut out for him.

Bama has all world talent compared to our DL last night. Pressure with 3. Sometimes only 3 downlineman and a stand up rush end coming in. Switched it up, plugged the gaps etc......

Interesting quote from the S.Miss coach:

“When we subbed quarterbacks and switched a little bit of our game plan — let’s face it, we weren’t going to win the football game in the third quarter,” the Golden Eagles’ first-year coach said. “It was more about trying to improve our football team.”

Weren't they very much in it in the 3rd quarter?

I think these are all fair criticisms. Yes, it was game one. Yes, new line coach. Yes, they didn't have a lot of film to work with. Yes, So. Miss subbed in three different quarterbacks. But I'm beginning to think it's less and less of a scheme issue. That's why I've been saying since yesterday that I just don't think we've got very good talent there right now. Nobody is explosive on the line, and if they are, they haven't consistently shown it.

Pelini is not a defensive idiot - I'm sure if he believed changing the scheme would be more beneficial he would do it. Over the last year, however, he hasn't. So this ultimately means either two things - Pelini is stubborn (doubt it) or the guys simply aren't talented enough to do what he needs.

Naturally, we'll see how things progress over the rest of the season. So. Miss averaged 3.9 YPC. Last year, we let teams average 4.0 YPC. We can't continue to let that happen.

• Fire 2

we suck... i'm mad about it

:lame

Our offense cranked out 632 total yards while our defense gave up a grand total of 260 yards and 13 points. So "we" don't suck. You on the other hand.....

:rickjames

That was the beer talking.. forgive me.

Defensive front was my biggest concern coming into the season and will continue to be. People got real high on camstache early on. The more i watch him, the more i think he was mainly an afterthought for opponents whose main concern rhymed with blendomaken.