Question Re: Martinez' internal clock

funhusker

We have been in the process of moving since last Tuesday, so we've been without internet and cable to do my own research (luckily got the game on "rabbit ears" I found in a box while moving). Anyway, cable guy left our house this morning and left me with a question.

The installer and I were talking about the game while we were going over things and we got to talking about Taylor taking his time in the pocket. First of all, I greatly enjoyed watching Taylor chuck the football and direct the offense the way he did. But while watching the game I kept waiting for Taylor to pull the ball down and run for 5-10 yards when nothing was open after the first 2-3-4 seconds, especially with plenty of room to run. This is something he has never hesitated to do the last couple of years, actually he probably took off more prematurely in previous seasons.

Anyway.....I mentioned this to the cable guy, and he "informed" me that coaches instructed Taylor to sit in the pocket and only to run or throw the ball away if he was in immediate threat of being tackled. The reason the cableguy gave was that coaches want Taylor to be "throw first" not only to protect him, but to protect the offensive scheme.

My question: I have been without cable, internet, and newspaper for the last week, was this made public by Taylor or coaches, or is my cable guy a crazy person who misread a mass email that he believes Beck sent only to him?

What have you guys heard? and were you pleasantly surprised to see Martinez sit and direct recievers instead of running play after play?

(theme from "The Twilight Zone"): Maybe I have the same cable guy as Bo Pelini...

• Fire 1

Interesting....never heard this in the papers. Taylor did take off last year after 3-4 seconds of not seeing a receiver open, however, he also tended to stare down receivers, which he wasn't doing all that much during the SMU game (looked like he had greater field vision and checked down very well). Taylor definitely hung on to the football much longer looking for receivers against SMU and had ample time to do so. Maybe your guy is "in the know" lol. It does seem to makes sense though, considering he was sitting back in the pocket for quite some time during certain plays and Taylor managed to make great decisions with the ball and make "something out of nothing" at times.

That what I was thinking, there were many times when it would have been "acceptable" in the spectator's eyes for Tayor to pull the ball and run. But, he moved in the pocket and "waited" for receivers to get open.

Again, I'm not saying Martinez should have ran, I just found it odd that he didn't. I'm very curious to where this offense is going to be in November.

Taylor did take off last year after 3-4 seconds of not seeing a receiver open...

To expand though, I think the devil was in the details with regards to that last season. There were/are plenty of times still where significant down field yardage could be had if he would just take off a half second earlier. Internal clock is probably a good way of putting it.

There are going to be plays where nobody's going to be open. We didn't see that much against Southern Mis, but those are the plays where hopefully he can develop the timing to take off. Especially with his straight-line speed. There's a happy medium there that he wasn't able to find with it last year.

Overall, I'm pretty sure everyone will agree though that he's developing a good pocket presence. But if he can combine that "fifth sense" of when to take off, he'll be lights out dangerous.

Actually,

I was wondering if Beck is now moonlighting as a cable installer.

And just how DID you discover your cable installer has pierced nipples?

Hmm?

He was explaining how my new digital box and cable signals work with premium channels, and next thing you know....."tune in Tokyo" :dunno

just in case: :sarcasm

I too am in the aquarium guy camp but Larry is also funny. I don't know what his direction was but my guess it that as long as he was completing passes his confidence gained and he hung in longer. That said on his nine yard first down scramble I think late in the third quarter he showed that he can still blaze. I noticed it while rewatching the game, once he took off the defenders looked like they were in mud.

Larry_the_Cable_Guy.jpg